Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #471
Hopper77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I tasted mine last night. Sunday will be 21 days. It had a strange taste to it. Not real vinegary more like a cider taste to it. Infected?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #472
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper77 View Post
I tasted mine last night. Sunday will be 21 days. It had a strange taste to it. Not real vinegary more like a cider taste to it. Infected?
Would you say it is sour-like? Could be Lactobacillus infection, but some yeast balls create a sweeter wine while others create a tangy, sour wine. Could simply be the normal for your product.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #473
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm about 1 week now into the fermentation and both batches are a gelatinous mess... they are both very liquidy as well. I take them and swirl the contents around... has anyone experienced this where the liquid does not separate?

6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #474
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok

My guess is that you lost some sweetness in your filtering. You can definitely back sweeten. I flavor and sweeten mine with fresh squeezed berry juice right into it at bottling. If you are concerned about additional fermentation I would imagine you could pasteurize then back sweeten as well.
Well, I agree that I lost some "flavor" in the filtering, but it was anything BUT sweetness. All of the stuff I filtered off, including the second filtering, smelled and tasted more like sourdough starter than sake. Maybe that's normal for this type of rice wine, or possibly the type of rice I used or some other factor, but it was not pleasant and not the flavor I was looking for.
Mind you, the final product is ok and has a kick to it. Kinda reminds me of of some cheeses; they taste great as long as you don't smell them first! Or like my ciders before I learned how to control the fermenting and back sweetening so they weren't too dry.
I filtered this batch right at 3 weeks, I have another batch going that maybe I'll let go for a full 4 weeks. I also saw a video of someone making this type of wine that only fermented for 7 days before bottling. Good thing I love experimenting. I might have to try a different rice as well next time.
Great thread though!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #475
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorken View Post
Kinda reminds me of of some cheeses; they taste great as long as you don't smell them first!
Oh well then it might be the rice or the yeast or something different because mine always smells absolutely amazing.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #476
GunnyB
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Well here what I have got so far. I started the batch on 1/12 with 5 cups of calrose rice and 5 yeast balls. This is the first time looking at it in two weeks, and the transformation is simply amazing. At first I thought that it was just some liquid lying on top but my sampling spoon went down to the bottom so the whole thing is liquified. There's a fairly strong alcoholic scent upon opening and on the palate. Taste isn't sweet at all frankly, but more bitter?, with some yeasty undertones. What do you all think?

img_0477.jpg   img_0478.jpg  

Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #477
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Every bodies batches seem to be going faster then mine. I wonder why. Here's mine at day 25.

day25.jpg  

Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #478
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Every bodies batches seem to be going faster then mine. I wonder why. Here's mine at day 25.
That actually looks pretty perfect. I would harvest soon if I were you.

That is what my thai jasmine batches look like that taste awesome!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #479
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
That actually looks pretty perfect. I would harvest soon if I were you.

That is what my thai jasmine batches look like that taste awesome!
Oh. I'll probably harvest tomorrow night after work then. I was expecting the rice to break down more.

That might be because I used a typical long grain white rice. For some odd reason the longer a grain of rice is the higher proportion of long chain carbohydrates to short chain carbohydrates you get. Long chain carbohydrates are sticky, or gluey, so long grain rice sometimes gets labeled glutenous. Even though it doesn't contain the protein string gluten. Since the long chain carbohydrates are stickier, they may have helped hold things together.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #480
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Oh. I'll probably harvest tomorrow night after work then. I was expecting the rice to break down more.

That might be because I used a typical long grain white rice. For some odd reason the longer a grain of rice is the higher proportion of long chain carbohydrates to short chain carbohydrates you get. Long chain carbohydrates are sticky, or gluey, so long grain rice sometimes gets labeled glutenous. Even though it doesn't contain the protein string gluten. Since the long chain carbohydrates are stickier, they may have helped hold things together.
I think you will find that when you harvest it, it will be more broken down than you expected. Mine always still has that rice grain look to it in the jar and then I star straining it and end up with a gelatinous mass.

Quick Reply