Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #431
Ezekielsays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got a test batch with basmati going right now, since that was the rice I had on hand. I can't give a comparison to other types of rice, but it seems to be acting the same. Everything is liquifying and there is a distinct fruity/alcohol smell to it.

------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Rcole
Our system isn't broken- we're allowing it to rust out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #432
Pomylka22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekielsays
I've got a test batch with basmati going right now, since that was the rice I had on hand. I can't give a comparison to other types of rice, but it seems to be acting the same. Everything is liquifying and there is a distinct fruity/alcohol smell to it.
Please report back and let us know how it turns out!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #433
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomylka22 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already but has anyone tried this with a basmati rice? I have about 6 pounds on hand and am looking to put it to good use!
Used basmati with no problem.
Sticky sweet broke down even easier.

Hint, when straining chill the wine after the first straining. If you can even chill the entire mess while straining it is immensely clear. Four batches under my belt, using double layer of fine mesh nylon straining bags. Crystal clear, cloudy layer drops quickly. Do NOT squeeze or it all clouds.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #434
kevinstan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

Used basmati with no problem.
Sticky sweet broke down even easier.

Hint, when straining chill the wine after the first straining. If you can even chill the entire mess while straining it is immensely clear. Four batches under my belt, using double layer of fine mesh nylon straining bags. Crystal clear, cloudy layer drops quickly. Do NOT squeeze or it all clouds.
Sara, I have been working on clearing also. I would love to see some pictures of how clear you are getting yours and more on exactly how you are going about doing it.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #435
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post

Sara, I have been working on clearing also. I would love to see some pictures of how clear you are getting yours and more on exactly how you are going about doing it.
I already answered that and posted pictures, cannot recall what date I posted, thinking 11/28 or after that. I no longer have photos available for download, but they are already attached. Next time I pour a glass I will post a picture. My latest is soaking on Asian pears and strawberries right now. But the wine is crystal clear.

But I to summarize again....transfer contents to a set of two clean/sanitized fine mesh bags layered together and allow to drip dry. I use what are known as jelly bags, got them off eBay and they have elastic at the openings.
I prefer to chill all contents overnight before straining and place contents back in refrig while straining. I usually strain for 36-48 hours or until dry. The rice pulp is discarded (if any doubt about pulp being fully drained then transfer to new straining bag setup and see what you get) and I then rack the clear wine away from any cloudy wine that may be evident in collection container. I do not squeeze or press the straining bag (but if you cannot resist squeezing do so after transferring to new collection container so you do not cloud what you have already collected) and I strain up to one gallon at a time with my setup--only have so much room right now. It may take longer to strain larger batch. The cloudy wine, called rice beer, is consumed sooner than anything else. That pretty much sums it up.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #436
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Sarah, do you suspend the jelly bags or something? How do you drain them without them sitting in the wine?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #437
Jnco_hippie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Our potential product:

image-3560553659.jpg

image-2263370779.jpg

This was much more an undertaking than we expected.

2 gallon container filled with 5 lbs of glutinous (about 12 cups) sweet rice and 5 yeast balls. We may add some additional yeast balls later.

I had never steamed rice before, and forgot to soak it before trying to steam.

I sure hope this turns out well. This was my son's first time to lead the brew.

During our brew session, we managed two episodes of "once upon a time" two games of "worms" on ps3 and Monty python's "meaning of life" while cooling to pitch.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #438
Jnco_hippie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We will split the result in three parts. One au natural, two with fruit added for flavor.

image-968520937.jpg   image-2162831596.jpg  

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #439
GunnyB
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I don't think the jar should be completely sealed. Read the OP and it mentions using some cloth to act as an airlock

Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #440
saramc
Recipes 

That jar in the photo is just fine; it is essentially the same style I use for all my batches now (and what I use for all 1 gallon batches of wine/mead I make--I like to be able to "see" it). Cloth is not an airlock, just a barrier against dust and bugs and such--the glass lid is an adequate barrier plus allows for some air exchange. Airlock is optional on this recipe.

For the question about how I suspend my straining rice wine, I simply secure the straining bags with a few strong rubber bands/thin bungee cords, and use a 2 gallon food grade bucket as the receiving container. I check the level of the bag every few hours and simply raise the bag as there is room to do so. If you have a tall, narrow stainless steel pot, like a spaghetti pot that works well also. If you only have a small volume receiving container, simply work with what you have.

Quick Reply