Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #321
wagz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How low can the temp be and still work out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #322
bpparker
Recipes 

I'm getting a little concerned. Followed all the directions (on my second try correctly from what I can tell. However, I'm not getting the separation that everyone is getting. I've just got a really pasty like goo but not seeing any separate liquid. Anyone have any idea if I'm just still doing it wrong? I'm three weeks to the day in today. Thanks in advance!

image-2983363554.jpg  

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #323
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpparker
I'm getting a little concerned. Followed all the directions (on my second try correctly from what I can tell. However, I'm not getting the separation that everyone is getting. I've just got a really pasty like goo but not seeing any separate liquid. Anyone have any idea if I'm just still doing it wrong? I'm three weeks to the day in today. Thanks in advance!
It looks like you're cooking your rice down to porridge consistency, but maybe it's just the pic.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #324
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Mine are 10g each. Some Vietnamese ones I recently bought, also at the same weight, came with instructions. I have not been able to interpret it all BUT it says to use four balls for every 2.2kg(4lb13oz) dry rice.
Ah, thank you. That would make them about .35 oz. So yeast balls at .33 shouldn't be enough of a difference to throw things out of whack.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #325
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I just checked on the batch I put together Monday night. It's got all these little white bumps in it, and a little bit of liquid in the bottom. I'm so excited. This reminds me of when I brewed my first batch, and couldn't stop watching the airlock burp.

I actually used a normal sized tea towel, and a quart jar. I then wrapped the tea towel around the jar so no daylight would hit it and stuck it in the back of my closet. I remembered reading something about growing mushrooms that said to discourage algae growth in your substrate to block out all the light. I have little white things growing in mine, but nothing else I can see. At least not yet anyway.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #326
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I checked on mine last night and I think all along I just didnt notice the liquid in there. I have a two gallon container, I used 6 cups of uncooked rice which filled it about half way. The liquid level is about 3/4 of the height of the rice, which has dropped a bit since fermentation.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #327
lovelylocksleah
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just sampled my first batch last night - and holy wow it was great! We added blueberry juice to it initially and left some of the pure mixture in a smaller container - should have reversed that because the plain stuff is amazing! My husband was bummed out we didn't have more, then proceeded to pull out the carboy and asked how soon we can have more! The best recipe ever! Thank you!!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #328
bpparker
Recipes 

My rice was actually nice and firm and very sticky. It wasn't cooked down too much. I used a rice cooker that automatically stops cooking when it's done. What you see in the pic is what I ended up with after a number of days. I used probably about four yeast balls with roughly five cups of rice spread throughout three different containers.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #329
bpparker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It looks like you're cooking your rice down to porridge consistency, but maybe it's just the pic.
My rice was actually nice and firm and very sticky. It wasn't cooked down too much. I used a rice cooker that automatically stops cooking when it's done. What you see in the pic is what I ended up with after a number of days. I used probably about four yeast balls with roughly five cups of rice spread throughout three different containers.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #330
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Damn it I'm hooked. I've only looked into making sake once and was turned off from the process. After reading this post I can't wait to get started. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever distilled the end product?
While distillation is (as mentioned) verboten on this site, freeze concentration (sometimes referred to incorrectly as "freeze distillation") is perfectly legal and worth a shot. Spend some time looking for threads on eisbeer and see what you can apply to a batch of this stuff.

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Quick Reply