Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #3071
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I've done a few batches now by cooking the rice in store bought apple juice. Adds a nice colour to the wine and a very pleasant tang to the taste. The rice just needs a little extra time to cook in the juice (and maybe a tad more liquid to cook in) but otherwise I stuck to the basic methods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #3072
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 520 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwell View Post
After making a 5 cup batch with true steamed sweet rice and yeast "discs" I had to try more, that was 4 days ago, it has some liquid so far.

I made a 3 cup batch, soak 2 hrs, 2 yeast balls, then stove top with 1:1 rice/water. This turned out more of a glob of rice than the steamed rice with it's individual grains. I had my doubts. Today after only 2 days I have wine, no mold. I believe the constant 80° is responsible.
Looking good. I have quit soaking and just do a rinse until it's clear. I've found that soaking does produce more product but it tends to end too tangy for my taste. Over the months, I've come to prefer the sweeter rice wine. Still very strong and alcoholic but enjoyable.

Please post when it's done and let us know how it is and what you think of it.

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #3073
FatDragon
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak1010 View Post
Looking good. I have quit soaking and just do a rinse until it's clear. I've found that soaking does produce more product but it tends to end too tangy for my taste. Over the months, I've come to prefer the sweeter rice wine. Still very strong and alcoholic but enjoyable.

Please post when it's done and let us know how it is and what you think of it.
Rinsing clear seems like it should reduce your sweetness. You're getting rid of extra starches that will be converted to sweet sugars over the whole process. Then again, if you're not soaking and thus ending with a lower yield, that means you already have a higher sugar ratio in the wine than before, so you'll end up sweeter than before.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #3074
DavidLiebeHart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finished my batch a little while ago, got a little more than 750 ml. out of 4 cups of rice. It was cloudy at first but settled out pretty quick in the fridge. Tastes pretty tangy, not as sweet as I was expecting but still real good. I dropped a couple cinnamon sticks in and they gave it a subtle warmth that I really like. Definitely gonna make this again.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #3075
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 520 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDragon View Post
Rinsing clear seems like it should reduce your sweetness. You're getting rid of extra starches that will be converted to sweet sugars over the whole process. Then again, if you're not soaking and thus ending with a lower yield, that means you already have a higher sugar ratio in the wine than before, so you'll end up sweeter than before.
Exactly! Either way, when it's done and I harvest, the remains of the rice appear to have given their all. There's not much left and it just about disintegrates when touched.

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #3076
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDragon View Post
Dang, now I really wish I had kept the ratio down with my two watered trials. My rice wine is super smooth and has almost no alcohol burn, which I believe is because it's extremely sweet. I think a moderate water addition will be good for my wine as it'll allow the yeasties to work out some extra sugars, but 100% by weight looks like it'll prove to be way too much.

Here's hoping the dry batches with tea come out good. If nothing else, the big batch should produce 2-3 liters.
Yeah, I was a little surprised at how fast things went bad. Based on the directions some people have gotten I suspected the sweet spot for water addition was about 130% the cooked rice by weight.

Something I found was just about perfect was actually blending the 50% and control batches. That gave me just the right amount of sweetness for my tastes.

The next time I do another series of batches I'll try one with an extra 25% water by weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLiebeHart View Post
Finished my batch a little while ago, got a little more than 750 ml. out of 4 cups of rice. It was cloudy at first but settled out pretty quick in the fridge. Tastes pretty tangy, not as sweet as I was expecting but still real good. I dropped a couple cinnamon sticks in and they gave it a subtle warmth that I really like. Definitely gonna make this again.
Careful with how long you leave those in. They will continue to extract into the wine for a couple of months. At least they do in cider.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #3077
FatDragon
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Yeah, I was a little surprised at how fast things went bad. Based on the directions some people have gotten I suspected the sweet spot for water addition was about 130% the cooked rice by weight.

Something I found was just about perfect was actually blending the 50% and control batches. That gave me just the right amount of sweetness for my tastes.

The next time I do another series of batches I'll try one with an extra 25% water by weight.
How much wine do you typically get out of a dry batch per cup of pre-cooked rice? How sweet/cloudy is it? I'm getting about 1/3 of a liter per cup of rice, and it's sweet and super-cloudy - my first batch is still weeks away from fully settling out the starches after five or six weeks in the fridge. Since I've got so much extra sugar there I suspect my wine's tolerance for extra water might be higher than others are getting, probably because of the amount of convertible starch in the rice I'm using.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #3078
red_skittles
Recipes 

Harvested my first batch today! Here are just a few observations. 4 cups of dry rice and 4 cups of water (no pre-soak) yielded very close to 2 liters of wine. I was actually pretty shocked at how much I ended up with. Looking at my containers, I would have guessed only about 1/3 of the rice converted, but after straining the rice pretty much compacted down in to nothing. My rice was also undercooked and dry. My compacted rice balls still had many individual grains that were completely solid. Stirring/agitating the rice during ferment did absolutely nothing. I split my batch between 2 fermenting containers and stirred one at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 18 days and left the other undisturbed. Both yielded almost the same amount of wine. Any difference could probably be contributed to me splitting the batches unevenly

My wine is in the fridge right now and I still haven't tasted it yet. As far as the smell goes, it is sweet, alcoholic, and slightly yeasty. In a blind smell test, my first thought would be cheap white wine I have an exam to write soon but after that a thorough taste test will be in order

biggest regret: starting a second batch only a week ago

Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #3079
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I think the stirring is just good for keeping down the mold .

I have sweet and sushi . they both taste about the same , nasty in my opinion . last night I put some wine yeast in the sushi jar to see what would happen . maybe give it a different flavor . It is doing something . kind of clumped up and a sort of krausen I guess . I just put in some yeast nutrient to give it something to eat besides rice .

Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #3080
Roughster
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is the jar at 18 days

image-2530613139.jpg  

Quick Reply