Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #2971
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I was just out looking for some gallon jars and they are pricey if you can find them . so I went to Walmart and bought a half gallon jar of pickles for about 3.50 . Not bad .toss the pickles and make wine . Might go to Sams Club and get something by the gallon
Problem with pickle jars is that they somehow maintain the essence of pickle no matter how much you wash them...

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #2972
FatDragon
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Problem with pickle jars is that they somehow maintain the essence of pickle no matter how much you wash them...
Not true. I have a few former pickle jars that I use for all sorts of things, and they have absolutely no pickle smell and haven't for quite a while. It took quite a bit of washing and soaking to get rid of the initial smell, but once it's gone, it's gone.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #2973
DavidLiebeHart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got a couple jars of this going about 5 days ago; they're floating already on an inch or so of liquid and one has rice starting to sink back down. Does that mean it's ready to strain out or should I let it go for a few weeks anyway? Also the tops of the rice are covered in white furry stuff, is bad or just from spores in the yeast balls?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #2974
FatDragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLiebeHart View Post
Got a couple jars of this going about 5 days ago; they're floating already on an inch or so of liquid and one has rice starting to sink back down. Does that mean it's ready to strain out or should I let it go for a few weeks anyway? Also the tops of the rice are covered in white furry stuff, is bad or just from spores in the yeast balls?
I believe there's been some debate about how long you need to leave it, but three weeks has been the standard answer. I don't recall exactly why that is - might have to do with yield, or giving the yeast time to attenuate, or something else - but I'm certain somebody will chime in.

My spores are microscopic black mushrooms with filaments that run between them. A guy a few pages back posted a picture of a batch he made that ended up with a big white mold colony on top. He said the wine tasted fine, and the general consensus was that nothing harmful could survive in the wine, but he said it smelled so bad that he tossed it out anyway. If you post a picture that clearly shows the white furry stuff, someone here might be able to help.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #2975
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDragon View Post
Not true. I have a few former pickle jars that I use for all sorts of things, and they have absolutely no pickle smell and haven't for quite a while. It took quite a bit of washing and soaking to get rid of the initial smell, but once it's gone, it's gone.
Hmm, interesting. I haven't had any trouble getting the aroma off the glass of course. Getting it off the lid now...Why do we need the lid again? Just throw a cloth over the jar and tie a string around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLiebeHart View Post
Quote:
I believe there's been some debate about how long you need to leave it, but three weeks has been the standard answer. I don't recall exactly why that is - might have to do with yield, or giving the yeast time to attenuate, or something else - but I'm certain somebody will chime in.

My spores are microscopic black mushrooms with filaments that run between them. A guy a few pages back posted a picture of a batch he made that ended up with a big white mold colony on top. He said the wine tasted fine, and the general consensus was that nothing harmful could survive in the wine, but he said it smelled so bad that he tossed it out anyway. If you post a picture that clearly shows the white furry stuff, someone here might be able to help.
It seems to depend on exactly what yeast balls you get. Some of them produce a tiny black headed mushroom, some produce a white "furry" mold. I find that about 1/2 of my batches end up with fairly dense and short white "fur" on the top.

I've got the big balls. The ones with the red writing on them. I think the mini Vietnamese balls with the blue writing produce the black heads.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #2976
FatDragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Hmm, interesting. I haven't had any trouble getting the aroma off the glass of course. Getting it off the lid now...Why do we need the lid again? Just throw a cloth over the jar and tie a string around it.
The lids took some soaking, but it wasn't that bad. I used them to transport and drink the juices I made with my juicer before I started using them with rice wine, so I needed the lids functional and odorless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
It seems to depend on exactly what yeast balls you get. Some of them produce a tiny black headed mushroom, some produce a white "furry" mold. I find that about 1/2 of my batches end up with fairly dense and short white "fur" on the top.

I've got the big balls. The ones with the red writing on them. I think the mini Vietnamese balls with the blue writing produce the black heads.
My locally-produced Chinese yeast balls produce the black fungus, but at least with my first batch, it was gone by the time I harvested. I wasn't aware any of them produced a big white colony - the post I was referring to made me think that a white colony was bad, since that batch ended up being dumped due to the smell.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #2977
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
The lids took some soaking, but it wasn't that bad. I used them to transport and drink the juices I made with my juicer before I started using them with rice wine, so I needed the lids functional and odorless.

My locally-produced Chinese yeast balls produce the black fungus, but at least with my first batch, it was gone by the time I harvested. I wasn't aware any of them produced a big white colony - the post I was referring to made me think that a white colony was bad, since that batch ended up being dumped due to the smell.
I think the kind of cotton candy stuff he got was bad. I think that the short white fuzz I'm talking about is actually frequently present, it's just usually hard to see on rice.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. This is a photo of it growing on a batch of red rice wine. That makes it much easier to see. It's also odd, I would say less then 1/8th of my red rice wine batches get this visible white fuzz. Though about 3/4 of my white rice wine batches get it. It gets a little more visible at harvest time if the top of the rice oxidizes and turns yellow.

EDIT:Here's another picture of it after it's really gone to town on some wheat berries.

Sorry the pictures aren't that clear. In the first one I couldn't get the camera to focus on the jar contents. I actually took several pictures and that was the best one. In the second I was taking a picture of the whole lineup of jars. That's just cropped out of the "family" photo from the original grains experiment.
08-homemade-ryr-experiment-05-three-weeks-oddity.jpg   wheatberriesmold.jpg  

Old 10-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #2978
red_skittles
Recipes 

Great thread guys! I'm looking forward to getting some yeast balls and trying this out tomorrow. I've read about 1/3 of the thread from the beginning and at this point the ideal formulation is 1:1 water to rice and 2 10g yeast balls per KG of dry rice (I think that is the equivalent of ~1g yeast per cup of dry rice ). Has the process been any more fine tuned in the 250 or so pages of this thread I haven't yet read? Sorry in advance but a whole bunch of questions are coming up:

Does the brand of yeast ball make a difference? Where I'm at now (it's like reading a book, who know what will happen next ) some have suggested that certain yeast balls may be responsible for dark mold growth or acetone smell

Has the cause of acetone smell been determined?

Is there an ideal rice to head room ratio in the fermentation vessel?

Is there an ideal batch size?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 AM   #2979
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post
Great thread guys! I'm looking forward to getting some yeast balls and trying this out tomorrow. I've read about 1/3 of the thread from the beginning and at this point the ideal formulation is 1:1 water to rice and 2 10g yeast balls per KG of dry rice (I think that is the equivalent of ~1g yeast per cup of dry rice ). Has the process been any more fine tuned in the 250 or so pages of this thread I haven't yet read? Sorry in advance but a whole bunch of questions are coming up:

Does the brand of yeast ball make a difference? Where I'm at now (it's like reading a book, who know what will happen next ) some have suggested that certain yeast balls may be responsible for dark mold growth or acetone smell

Has the cause of acetone smell been determined?

Is there an ideal rice to head room ratio in the fermentation vessel?

Is there an ideal batch size?
Wow, ok. Lots of questions that haven't really been answered. There are some variations on the recipe, but I don't think there is a general agreement on a "refined" version. The brand of yeast ball does seem to matter, though we have had conflicting reports on exactly what the difference is. I've never gotten an acetone smell, I have gotten some strong young alcohol smells. Those go away with aging. Head room ratio hasn't been a variable that I think anyone has looked at specifically.

The ideal batch size is determined more by your rice cooker then anything else. Some larger batches have developed a dense rice "cap" that floats on the rest of the wine and does not want to saccharify. That can be avoided by forming the rice into balls as it's being added to the fermenter. After it's been inoculated.

Since I don't have the answers, those must be some good questions. The yeast ball brand in particular would be an interesting one to test. I'll have to see if I can find an online vendor who has several types.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #2980
DavidLiebeHart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, I couldn't get a good picture of it but it looks similar to LeadGolem's pic. Basically the top looks like white velvet. I think it's probably ok because the only smell I get off the jars is sweet and rice-y, and the fact that it appeared pretty uniformly over each of 4 jars seems to suggest it coming from the yeast balls rather than some freak contaminant.

Quick Reply