Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #2811
trbig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I think I just messed up big time. lol. I was going to go for it with my 12 cup batch of ryr that FINALLY finished up. I figured I had roughly 4 lbs of rice (A little more, but rounded up) I started with and was going to add the 1/3 water weight to it and see if it kicked back off. So in figuring 4 lbs of rice, for some reason I thought I needed 4 pounds of water (Mind went back to 12 cups.. 1/3 of 12 is 4, right? ) So, I just dumped a half gallon of water into the batch. lol. OOPS. I guess I'll see what happens. Watery hooch anyone?

Yeah, I've been drinkin' a bit. Hush.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.
Leadgolem Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #2812
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 455 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 301

The timeline between the rice wine and the mead is the only thing that concerns me...what the heck. It's only about $5-$7 of materials and a few weeks of waiting and wondering.

I'll start this next weekend and see what happens.

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #2813
Baileisdad
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak1010 View Post
OK, I'm looking to make a rice wine mead combo.

I'm thinking:
6 cups dry rice cooked and cooled.
1/2 pound of honey
8-10oz of water to mix the honey (taken from the pot of water used to cook the rice)
10-15 raisins (they're in JAOM and why not here)
1/2 pack of ARL or 3-4 yeast balls

Place all in a gallon glass jar with cheesecloth and lid for 21-28 days.

I'm looking for feedback before I start this. Should I change anything? Add or remove any of the ingredients?
I tried this last month . Does not work that good . Something about the honey that stops the rice from converting to sugar definatly do seperat then mix later

Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #2814
durianpicker
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Just snatched a photo. The left is dry yeast, a little yellowish (called 辣酒饼 La Jiu Bing or 浓酒饼 Nong Jiu Bing, diff names for the same thing) and the right is sweet yeast (甜酒饼 Tian Jiu Bing). I don't have the red yeast which can ferment maroon color wine.

The physical form like shape I think is not crucial, I often buy in different size and shape.

Quote:
I have two types of Chinese yeast. One is squares and the English is suzhou mifeng tianjiuyao. I suspect that makes them sweet yeast. Unfortunately the round balls I have don't have any English on them. There is also Angel Rice Leaven which is a powder and Vietnamese yeast balls that people have used.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #2815
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Ok, here's the 3 week harvest check in for the ARL experiment.

Here's what went in them:
1. 0.5 grams ARL: Jar weight 802 grams
2. 1 gram ARL: Jar weight 785 grams
3. 2 grams ARL: Jar weight 784 grams
4. Rice yeast ball: Jar weight 682 grams

All of the batches yielded approximately the same amount of wine. Considering the appearance, that was a bit of a surprise. I am allowing some lee way for the rice yeast ball batch as that one was a little lite.

1. Aroma: Slight rice, no alcohol, vaguely of slightly soured milk. Flavor: Rice, very sweet, very smooth, nice warmth on the back of the throat. A little on the thick side.
2. Aroma: Slight rice, no alcohol. Flavor: Mild rice flavor, very sweet, very smooth, nice warmth on the back of the throat. For some odd reason this reminds me strongly of corn milk.
3. Aroma: Moderate alcohol, very very slight citrus. Flavor: Mild rice flavor, slightly tangy, very sweet, very smooth, nice warmth on the back of the throat. This also reminds me of corn milk.
4. Aroma: Moderate alcohol, slight rice, slight citrus. Flavor: Mild rice flavor, distinctly tangy, not as sweet as the other samples, not as much of an alcohol warmth as any of the ARL batches.

My opinion is that the manufacturer was correct in this instance. There was almost no difference between the 1 and 2 gram experiments. In future batches I will be using 1 gram of ARL:1.5 us cups of dry rice. The aroma and relatively high viscosity of the 0.5 gram batch says to me that is an under pitched batch.

The rice yeast balls clearly produce a much tangier rice wine. The ones I've got anyway. Both are quite nice, but I believe the ARL to be preferable if you intend to mix with something that doesn't have a lot of tang to it. The ARL batches should also take other savory flavors well, while the rice yeast ball wine would be, IMO, less compatible with those kinds of flavors.

dsc_0056.jpg   dsc_0061.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #2816
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

durian,
You made me go take a picture. This is only the one that I have. Others have different round ones. I was hoping I could find the Kanji or Hanzi you posted on the package but I can't find La or Nong on there.

Thank you for providing a little insight into this delicious beverage.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #2817
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Great post LG. I'm running the two yeasts I have available to me side by side right now. From my recollection, the square balls gave me a sweeter wine last batch but they were not fermented at the same time. I also may have 6 dry liters of rice fermenting too but darn if I can remember which yeast I used. That's OK, I can always make more and it's my roommates favorite type of alcohol ...

Free alcohol

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #2818
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I'm planning on mixing the ARL batches from the experiment and bottling a couple with 1/2 a vanilla bean to a bottle. I ordered the beans a few days ago, and I should have some leftover after making the extract I want.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #2819
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 455 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Really great to know that I've basically been using double the amount of ARL than I really need to. I can begin to scale it to what is needed. Thanks LG for an outstanding experiment and documentation to go along with it. In addition, your tasting notes are right on. I've been able to produce smooth, great tasting wine and now I'm looking forward to trying the vanilla bean idea.

If you decide to do further test batches, please share. I've got about 6 mason jars just begging me for tests. My next full scale gallon size batch will be ARL with Red Yeast Rice since the test batch worked out so well.

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #2820
durianpicker
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, it is not mentioned on the package. Mostly likely the yeast is sweet yeast.

The 'La' yeast can get high alcohol level, near 20%. So, the best way to know is the end result: the wine is 'dry' and not-sweet.

Quote:
durian,
You made me go take a picture. This is only the one that I have. Others have different round ones. I was hoping I could find the Kanji or Hanzi you posted on the package but I can't find La or Nong on there.

Thank you for providing a little insight into this delicious beverage.

Quick Reply