Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #2681
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I harvest almost all of my batches after 3 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #2682
Baileisdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Started a batch in a 5 gallon bucket . Looks to be off to a good start mixed Chinese balls in with rice. Then rolled rice into baseball sized balls. Stacked them in bucket and today I got a bunch of fuzzy white balls.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #2683
Descender
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=Unferth;5446709]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descender View Post

Yes. You need to post pictures. 1000 words, you know

two days in. Just peeked. little bit of liquid at the bottom. Couple bubbles in there... will update in a few. Pics are hard to upload on the app...

Currently brewing: Rhino Farts

In Stasis: Rocket fuel

Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #2684
OG_IBU_Bunghole
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I harvest almost all of my batches after 3 weeks.
I've harvested all of my rice wine batches at 21 days and eaten the batches for intended for eating after 3 days. To clarify, I'm trying to make the fermentation time the dependent variable to see the difference. Some folks here have regularly gone 4 weeks and even accidentally accidentally gone months and a grocer at one of my yeast balls sources implied that you can let the ferment go for years to produce a radically different beverage.

After further pondering I'm thinking I'll go 3 & 4 to see that difference... then let the other two jars go to 6 and 12 for outliers to our tried and true process.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #2685
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_IBU_Bunghole View Post
Some folks here have regularly gone 4 weeks and even accidentally accidentally gone months and a grocer at one of my yeast balls sources implied that you can let the ferment go for years to produce a radically different beverage.
The two batches I accidentally had go for months turned out the best (And clearest) I've made.... so far.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.
OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #2686
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So my neighbor stopped by tonight while I was cooking up some rice for rice wine and she gave me these to put in it. She's from somewhere near Beijing.

image.jpg

She said its a supplement for yeast and person nutrition. Says her folks used it for rice wine.

I'm going to give it a shot regardless, but has anybody seen these before?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #2687
trbig
Recipes 

According to this, wolfberries are the fountain of youth, cures everything that could possibly ail you, and jumps over tall buildings with a single bound? lol. Also, it says it's supposed to help your liver. So drinking this wine is going to HELP your liver.. yeah.. THAT'S the ticket!

http://www.phytochemicals.info/plants/wolfberry.php

But honestly, I'd be willing to try anything that added a berry taste to this. Did she say how much to use? The main downfall I see of it is that it's fairly expensive.

Quote:
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.
OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #2688
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbig View Post
According to this, wolfberries are the fountain of youth, cures everything that could possibly ail you, and jumps over tall buildings with a single bound? lol. Also, it says it's supposed to help your liver. So drinking this wine is going to HELP your liver.. yeah.. THAT'S the ticket!

http://www.phytochemicals.info/plants/wolfberry.php

But honestly, I'd be willing to try anything that added a berry taste to this. Did she say how much to use? The main downfall I see of it is that it's fairly expensive.
Haha. Yeah she called it Goji. She said they make the wine and have post-partem mothers eat the rice with it to help recover and stimulate milk production.

She said just use 'all or half'. I just sprinkled some in the jar.

I really hope it doesn't stimulate any milk production...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #2689
trbig
Recipes 

After the wine is done, I'd personally have to try eating one of the berries... or all of them.

They say they're pretty easy to grow. Hardy in zones 5-9, but it takes two years to get berries. I wonder if the alcohol submersion kills the seed? I guess you could take that out first. Either way, now I'm going to have to pick some up at the China store and see if I like them.

Quote:

Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #2690
trbig
Recipes 

Well, I went and picked up these "Berries" from a couple different stores. One package says "Goji Berries". The other packages say "Fructus Lycii". Wolfberries are the english name. All the same.

I ate a couple handfulls. They smell much better than they taste. Very fruity smell, a bit maybe like cranberries, but the taste is just kind of bland. There's a sweetness to it, but not much.

The bag labelled Goji Berries was $9 for 12.7 ounces. It has the comparisons of antioxidants to:

Oranges, 750

Strawberries, 1,540

Prunes, 5,770

Goji Berries, 25,300!

The smaller bags are 5 oz and were $2.89. Definately the better deal, BUT... the bigger bag had several additives such as small amounts of blueberry and raspberry extracts and sugar. The smaller bags have sulfite as a preservative.

Since these are dried fruit, I'm sure there will be some living molds/yeasts on them. My plan is to put a bag full in the bottom of my bucket, then dump steamed rice directly onto it, hopefully killing any wild things with heat.

I did find some info saying people that are taking warfarin (Rat poison.. lol) as a blood thinner or hypertension or diabetic drug users should avoid them.

Quote:

Quick Reply