Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #251
kingboomer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 387

So I have a question on the process. Does this need a certain amount of headspace, or would it be OK to fill the jar completely? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post.

-Kingboomer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #252
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboomer View Post
So I have a question on the process. Does this need a certain amount of headspace, or would it be OK to fill the jar completely? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post.
I would make sure to leave a little space for a CO2 blanket to form but that should not require too much headspace.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #253
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post

The red looks really tasty. Wondering what it tastes like! I was thinking about microwave or stove top pasteurization myself for those that were worried about storage but my wine keeps disappearing before I can experiment.
I can sympathize about the shrinking inventory. Once my taste buds return, coming down with a respiratory something, I will see if I cannot get a better description plus a description from another person. The red one keeps me smacking my lips as I try to come up with a descriptive.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #254
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1385 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Picked up a 55 cup (dry rice capacity) rice cooker. Hoping to find time to make it downtown to the asian market this weekend and start a 3-5 gallon batch of this. I like the idea of the different flavors, and plan to gift it out regularly to some friends, so I'm going to do a large batch and then start playing with flavors in small quantities. Thanks for the thread grok, good info.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #255
wooda2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have a 25lb. bag of thai jasmine rice and 500g of shanghai yeast cake. All I need is enough glass to hold it all.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #256
jdowling
Recipes 

Great thread. I have always enjoyed sake but it always sounded like a huge pain to make.

This sounds so easy and seems to be getting good results so I'm totally giving this a try today!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #257
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I would make sure to leave a little space for a CO2 blanket to form but that should not require too much headspace.

Thanks man, now to get the gear together. I can't wait!

-Kingboomer

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #258
nerdivore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a trip to an Asian supermarket while I was in LA. There were 2 kinds of starters, and I got them both:

"Angel-brand Rice Leaven" which comes in 8g packets similar to dry powdered yeast, and

"Shanghai Yeast Cakes" which are the ubiquitous Chinese yeast balls.

From the Wikipedia article on Chinese fermentation starters, I learned that there are basically 3 types of starters, all composed of various yeasts, molds, and bacteria:

Small starter - made with molds of the Rhizopus and Mucor genus, this starter supposedly generates less heat and produces wine more neutral in flavor
The rice leaven packets list Rhizopus oryzae as an ingredient, so they're probably of this type.

Large starter - the mold here is Aspergillus oryzae (the species commonly called koji); almost all famous alcoholic drinks in China use this starter
Since they're more common, I bet that the yeast balls are "large starters".

Red starter - yeast and Monascus purpureus, the species responsible for red yeast rice
I didn't see any of these beside the other starters. I did find red-colored rice in a different section (with other types of rice), but I'm not sure if that contains active cultures.

The instructions for the yeast balls are on the back of the package in Chinese only, so here they are, translated:

Quote:
To make Jiuniang (glutinous rice pudding):
Open an individual packet and grind the 2 yeast balls into powder, about 20 g. Soak 1.2 kg [about 6 cups] of glutinous rice [also called sweet or sticky rice] for 3 hours in summer or 5 hours in winter. Drain and steam the rice until done. Add some cold water and bring the temperature to about 30 °C [86 °F]. Mix the powdered starter with the rice and pack the mixture down in a large enough vessel. Make a hole in the middle, 5cm in diameter and all the way to the bottom. Cover the vessel and keep warm, around 25-30 °C. After 24-36 hours, check the hole for sweet rice juice. When all the rice has softened up, the Jiuniang is ready. Refrigerate and enjoy.

To make Huangjiu ("yellow wine"):
Put the Jiuniang as prepared above in a large vessel and add 2.4 L of filtered water. Cover and let it ferment. After 24 hours, you'll see the rice clump up and float on top of the liquid. Use a clean utensil to mix it up. After repeating this for 7 days (more or less, depending on room temperature), the rice solids will have sunk to the bottom. The liquid is mostly colorless at this point. Strain the liquid out and let it settle, then you can heat pasteurize it and age it in the bottle. It will slowly take on color and become "Yellow Wine".
So there it is, the "right" way to do it, though I didn't read the instructions until after I started my first batch which is now on day 15. I used both starters in a sort of free-for-all. I'll update with details and pictures tomorrow :P
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #259
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts

Just a heads up about red yeast rice:

It contains a naturally occurring statin, which is the main class of drugs used to control cholesterol (eg Lipitor, Crestor, etc). If you are on any cholesterol, heart/cardiovascular, blood pressure, or diabetes medications, you should talk to your doctor about it first.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #260
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
Just a heads up about red yeast rice:

It contains a naturally occurring statin, which is the main class of drugs used to control cholesterol (eg Lipitor, Crestor, etc). If you are on any cholesterol, heart/cardiovascular, blood pressure, or diabetes medications, you should talk to your doctor about it first.
Yeah that's the only application I was aware of before now... I've never seen it used in food or alcohol products.

Quick Reply