Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #241
Swinnerz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Help from the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeslad View Post
can i use anything other than the yeast balls? ive looked here in the uk and they cost a fortune nearly £20 a bag around $40
I was struggling with this but searched for fermented rice recipes and it led me to the following

http://shop.waiyeehong.com/food-ingredients/dried-products/dried-other/dried-yeast-cake-wine-cake

Much cheaper than the price you mentioned even with postage. To make the postage easier to swallow I stocked up on cup noodles. God I love cup noodles.
__________________
Swinnerz is offline
lakeslad Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #242
tdub1327
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Default

I'm about 12 days in and I never saw any mold on my rice O,o

Is this a problem? I have been swirling the jars almost daily and have a good bit of liquid in the bottom of both. It's kinda layered or separated.

I used sushi rice and yeast balls, I wonder, should I have used a sweet rice?

Thanks!

__________________
tdub1327 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #243
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,134
Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdub1327 View Post
I'm about 12 days in and I never saw any mold on my rice O,o

Is this a problem? I have been swirling the jars almost daily and have a good bit of liquid in the bottom of both. It's kinda layered or separated.

I used sushi rice and yeast balls, I wonder, should I have used a sweet rice?

Thanks!
If you have liquid then you are probably good. No worries.
__________________

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

sonofgrok is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #244
glenlivet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hightstown, NJ
Posts: 60
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I never had mold on my rice, a bit on the cheesecloth though. It still made wine so I wouldn't worry.

__________________
glenlivet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #245
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,901
Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I ordered the yeast balls from this site almost a week ago and never got a shipping confirmation e-mail. SaraMC, did you experience a delay with your order from that site?
__________________
bknifefight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #246
lakeslad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manchester, cumbria
Posts: 55
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinnerz View Post
I was struggling with this but searched for fermented rice recipes and it led me to the following

http://shop.waiyeehong.com/food-ingredients/dried-products/dried-other/dried-yeast-cake-wine-cake

Much cheaper than the price you mentioned even with postage. To make the postage easier to swallow I stocked up on cup noodles. God I love cup noodles.
your a star mate just ordered two bags inc postage for £10.50...bring it on lol
__________________
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God''s waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
lakeslad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #247
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post

I ordered the yeast balls from this site almost a week ago and never got a shipping confirmation e-mail. SaraMC, did you experience a delay with your order from that site?
They were on the East Coast, impacted by Sandy and sent me an email to let me know there MAY be a delay, but my order arrived within a week. And in fact my second order took only four days (they send discount coupons with each order). If you did not get a confirmation I would definitely call them.
__________________

Motto: quel che sara sara

saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #248
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,901
Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I received a shipping verification today, they will be here tomorrow. I am going to make some this weekend!

__________________
bknifefight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #249
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Photos, finally. I do not have a yield on the red batch, which used a total of four cups raw rice; and the white batch made from just two cups raw sushi rice gave me 800ml, but I consumed 200ml already (hence the 600ml sticky). I will say that as the rice lees settled they compacted into a cake that held tight when I simply poured off the clear wine. I am sure if a larger volume is made and the finished wine polished via filtering the end product would be crystal clear, even though I am quite happy with it now.

So, wondering if the yield on red one will be close to 1600ml since I used double the rice but a different type. Both wines are delicious as-is, and I seriously need to pasteurize and bottle so I will not have to keep them in refrigerator.

Remember, you can find the notes on red batch on 11/13, and the white one on 11/18. Nothing like a successful experiment.



forumrunner_20121214_191208.png



forumrunner_20121214_191236.png



forumrunner_20121214_191254.png

__________________

Motto: quel che sara sara

saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #250
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,134
Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Photos, finally. I do not have a yield on the red batch, which used a total of four cups raw rice; and the white batch made from just two cups raw sushi rice gave me 800ml, but I consumed 200ml already (hence the 600ml sticky). I will say that as the rice lees settled they compacted into a cake that held tight when I simply poured off the clear wine. I am sure if a larger volume is made and the finished wine polished via filtering the end product would be crystal clear, even though I am quite happy with it now.

So, wondering if the yield on red one will be close to 1600ml since I used double the rice but a different type. Both wines are delicious as-is, and I seriously need to pasteurize and bottle so I will not have to keep them in refrigerator.

Remember, you can find the notes on red batch on 11/13, and the white one on 11/18. Nothing like a successful experiment.
The red looks really tasty. Wondering what it tastes like! I was thinking about microwave or stove top pasteurization myself for those that were worried about storage but my wine keeps disappearing before I can experiment.
__________________

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

sonofgrok is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SaTho - Thai traditional rice wine arachnyd Wine Making Forum 6 07-22-2014 11:18 PM
Gelatinizing rice for rice wine? Newton Wine Making Forum 16 10-07-2013 03:26 AM
Rice wine from flaked rice? Newton Wine Making Forum 13 10-15-2010 03:22 PM
Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage) Starderup Wine Making Forum 3 06-17-2010 01:17 PM
Traditional red wine Celestyal Wine Making Forum 3 04-13-2010 12:20 AM