Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #2481
Tinhorn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Cool thanks I have any seen the Chinese one at the Asian store I go to

You could be walking around lucky and not even know it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #2482
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkshadow View Post
That's correct. The VN ones say BA NAM CALI on them.

I also saw something else that looked like rectangles of yeast and there were no english words printed on them. They were right next to the other ones on the shelf.

Maybe Leadgolem knows what there are since we visit the same store. They are to the far left of the other ones on the shelf.

Thinking about doing a bucket batch. I have 3.5 gallon buckets for my beer making.
I don't remember the rectangle things you're talking about. I'll keep an eye out next time I go to that store.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #2483
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I just tasted that bottle of rice wine I was planning on trying again on the 4th. Here are the original tasting notes:

Moderately sweet, moderately tangy, nice mouth feel, not to thick, very stongly alcoholic. Not bad, but I think I would serve it chilled to take the edge off the tang and the alcohol.

Here's the same bottle after 3 months:

Aroma, sweet and rice. Not much aroma to speak of actually. Tart and citrus flavor. Nicely so, though on the high end of the good tang scale. Very smooth. Nice mouth feel, slight tingle on the tongue. No apparent alcohol flavor. Nice warmth going down though.

I remember this bottle also have a slightly unpleasant "mushroomy" aroma and aftertaste. When I wrote the original notes I thought that was normal as most of my rice wine batches had some level of the same. That flavor and aroma has disappeared.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #2484
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2739 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I'm definitely happier with the bottles of aged rice wine than the young wine. It definitely smooths out alot even after just a couple months.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #2485
elkshadow
Lord Creator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I don't remember the rectangle things you're talking about. I'll keep an eye out next time I go to that store.
They come like 4 in a package and most of the packages had crumbled. I could only tell they were rectangles in one of the packages in the whole bin. Most of them were crushed and breaking into powder. No English on them at all. Good luck asking somebody there what they are.

Anyway, I just did a big batch today with the Vietnamese balls. I used 8 cups rice and 2 cups RYR and almost the whole package of yeast balls which says it's .4 oz. on the package.

Tomorrow I'm doing the same thing except with the Chinese balls to compare them side by side in a few weeks. I'll post the results.

I'm also considering blending some of it with some sweet wine like a reisling or muscat cannelli and seeing how that is.

elkshadow reserves the right to refer to himself in the third person.

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #2486
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I remember this bottle also have a slightly unpleasant "mushroomy" aroma and aftertaste. When I wrote the original notes I thought that was normal as most of my rice wine batches had some level of the same. That flavor and aroma has disappeared.
That would probably be flavors from the aspergillus, rhyzopus or whichever other fungus did the work of breaking down the starches into simple sugars. Umami flavors like this are very common in young sake and rice wine and do tend to mellow a little with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I'm definitely happier with the bottles of aged rice wine than the young wine. It definitely smooths out alot even after just a couple months.
Most sake breweries are letting theirs age from six months to a year. I would be very curious to sample some young commercial sake vs. aged sake during a brewery tour. If i'm ever lucky enough to tour Japan, i'd like to do that.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #2487
TBBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So I ended up at a buddies party after going to a homebrew club meeting yesterday. He had his Korean buddy over that had family that just returned from Korea. He shared these soju with us. I had never had these, but they were good once mixed. They tasted essentially like watered down vodka. Anybody have any experience with these or making these? It does appear to be a distilled product that is charcoal filtered.

forumrunner_20130714_171756.png  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #2488
aiptasia
Recipes 

I found some new dried yeast balls at a Vietnamese Asian market and found some packets of dried yeast for $.75 cents each. Looks like they're packaged 12 to a sealed vac pack and the cakes are about the size of a dime and as round as a mentos mint. The label says, "Men Ruou (Lam Com Ruou). Hieu Ba Nam Gia Dinh. Dried Yeast. Net Wt. 12 pcs, Distributor: IHA Beverage, Commerce, CA."

Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2489
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBBrewer View Post
So I ended up at a buddies party after going to a homebrew club meeting yesterday. He had his Korean buddy over that had family that just returned from Korea. He shared these soju with us. I had never had these, but they were good once mixed. They tasted essentially like watered down vodka. Anybody have any experience with these or making these? It does appear to be a distilled product that is charcoal filtered.
Looks awesome. I'd love to try something like that but i'm finding with a lot of Asian stores around my town, they don't really stock alcohol per se. The one exception to that is our Japanese market Circle Japan.

I've read a good bit in Sake:USA where Japanese are fond of using powdered GAC (granule activated carbon) to remove yellowing compounds for crystal clear Sake. The problem with that is the GAC also removes some organic flavor compounds, which modifies the character of the Sake in negative ways. Alcohol is one of the compounds that GAC will also absorb, so if you used it in your own jiu, I wouldn't use it more than once on any batch. There is even a style of black sake that leaves the powdered GAC in the liquid. Considering the absorption powers of carbon, it'd probably be good for absorbing gas as well as alcohol in your stomach. FYI, GAC is completely safe for your insides. Hospitals use it to absorb toxins people might've ingested (illegal drugs, poisons, etc.).

One of my crossover hobbies is aquaria. The Wife and I have had aquariums since we were both children and have had upwards of 30 tanks going in the house at one time. We've paired our addictions back to just two tanks at the moment but we have a lot of filtration and liquid pump experience which lends itself well to brewing.

If I were doing larger batches of jiu, say five to ten gallons at a time, I would probably invest in one of these: http://tinyurl.com/nv383nl

This is a hang-on canister filter that has interchangeable filters. The first filter is a fine mesh 1 micron pleated filter that polishes liquids and filters finer and finer particles as it starts to clog and slow down. What this means is, the dirtier it gets, the finer it will filter particles from the water. With a flow rate of 250 gallons per hour, it has plenty of push and is pressure resistant no matter how clogged the pleated filter gets. Also, after the liquid is polished and you remove the filter, you can simply remove it and rinse it in your sink to get all of the rice solids out of the pleats.

The second filter that comes with it is a chemical filter, which is a basket that sits inside the unit that you can fill with chemical media such as GAC (it even comes with a small box of GAC) to remove very fine organic molecules and coloring compounds.

The filter nozzles are also attachable to tubing at any custom length you can cut up to 20 feet. You can pump sanitizers like starsan through it with the micron filter in it but I wouldn't use sanitizer with the GAC chamber in it as the GAC will absorb the sanitizer, especially idophor. If it were me, i'd probably just use the micron filter and skip the GAC filtration unless you really had to make crystal clear sake for some odd reason.

elkshadow Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #2490
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Someone buying from me on eBay asked about the Yeast Balls, the Angel Rice Leaven and the Red Yeast Rice...wanted to know which works better.

In my experience, both the Dried Yeast Balls and the ARL work and each make a different but great tasting wines. (On a side note, when making this rice wine, I usually snack on the rice on about day 3 or 4 and I prefer the taste of the rice with the ARL. Just a but sweeter.)

The only thing I haven't tried is a batch of Red Yeast Rice with the ARL.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone else on the difference in taste between yeast balls and ARL.

Also, has anyone tried a batch with the ARL and RYR?

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Quick Reply