Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #2381
TBBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like another batch with arborio is needed. I was reading about arborio and apparently it is in the same family as the Japanese sticky rice. Guess it makes sense that it would make good wine.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #2382
Tory-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerianNightmares View Post
Ah, thanks! When you say loose cap, are we talking mason jar or like soda bottle?
I came looking for a rice wine recipe to make vinegar. I don't have much finished product under my belt but I've read a lot about optimum conditions.-
Acetobacter need air so use cheese cloth to cover, a jar is better than a bottle. UV light is bad so keep it in the dark. Temps between 65 and 80, but best with an even temp. Alcohol should be 10% or less, dilute with water as necessary. The container should remain un-disturbed to encourage a "mother" to form, mycoderma aceti, a cellulose and acetic bacteria .. Blob. (Sometimes described as one of the ugliest things on earth.)

You can also inoculate your wine with an un pasteurized vinegar like Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar - a little or a lot. I've had quick success with a 1:1 Bragg's to red wine, 2 wks and there was no hint of alcohol and it tastes like really good red wine vinegar not apple cider vinegar.

Alternately you can buy a vinegar mother and greatly improve your odds of success. Look online or ask at your local brew supply shop.

And one link, he has some useful tips and if you follow the track backs at the bottom he describes a remedy for acetone smelling vinegar.
http://www.kayahara.ca/2011/01/homem...inegar-take-2/

Another thank you to all for the thread I read the whole thing! I've never brewed anything but now I know some of the lingo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #2383
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Huh, I may try making vinegar again. I left a half full mason jar in the back of my closest for a few months with a paper towel under the ring and no flat. When I went to check on it, all of the liquid had evaporated. That left me with a dark solid mass in the bottom of the jar. Hmm, not exactly what I was aiming for.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #2384
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

A few weeks ago I started a batch to compare the 3 yeast balls I've found locally. I used a Thai sweet/sticky/glutinous rice (CTF brand), rinsed well for 10 min and cooked at a 1:1 rice to water ratio. I powdered the yeast balls in my coffee grinder, and used a ratio of one 10g yeast ball per 4 rice cooker cups of rice (3 US cups), layering the rice and yeast alternately in the jars.

The two on the left are both Vietnamese, and look and smell nearly identical. The one on the far left has ginger, Chinese licorice, and garlic in the ingredient list, and instructions in Vietnamese for making the sweet rice pudding that only ferments a couple days. The other Vietnamese one in the middle doesn't have an ingredient list, and has instructions in Vietnamese that appear to be for making sweet rice wine. After this experiment I'm convinced they're essentially the same product with different packaging. The one on the right appears to be Chinese, and the balls are slightly smaller and denser/harder.

All three jars were put on shelf in my closet, which is protected from light at stays at a constant 75-78°. Both of the Vietnamese ones had liquid near the top of the rice within 48 hours, and the rice was floating on liquid within 72 hours. They never developed any visible mold on top of the rice. They produced a very pungent fruity and alcoholic aroma throughout fermentation. The batch with the Chinese rice seemed to work about half as fast, and developed a light covering of mold on top after about a week, mostly white with a few black specks. The aroma was more earthy and subdued than the Vietnamese, and seemed to get stronger as it aged.

After bottling them up, all three look pretty much identical. The two made with the Vietnamese yeast balls have identical flavor and mouthfeel. Both are intensely fruity, tart, and have a strong alcohol finish. The flavor is hard to describe, but it's a little overwhelming in it's intensity. They also both have a thick syrupy mouthfeel, even the clear portion that separates after cold crashing. The batch with the Chinese yeast has a slightly thinner mouthfeel, and has similar flavors, but less intense, and a little more earthy. I prefer the flavor of the wine made with the Chinese yeast balls, but I think the stuff made with the Vietnamese yeast mixes better with most fruit juices.

Next up I plan on trying out some RYR, and maybe doing another comparison batch with jasmine rice instead of the sticky rice. I'd also like to try out some different yeast balls if I can find them.

forumrunner_20130626_015720.jpg

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #2385
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Juan, the yeast balls on the far right look very similar to the brand i've used on my batches so far. I've been very happy with the results and flavor on my two early harvest (one week old) batches on them so far. I'm squeezing the lees on a three week old batch today and i'll let you know what the extra aging does for the rice wine.

Currantly, i'm experimenting in the sake thread to see if I can make a decent dry, clear sake. For that, i'm using a different yeast even though i've been able to find White Labs Sake yeast strain #7 at my LHBS. I'm using lalvin 1116 wine yeast which the thread starter used in the sake thread. If you want to see what kinds of flavors you can get from your rice, i'd suggest that you experiment with the types of yeast and/or fungus (Aspergillus, Rhyzopus, etc.) to use.

You can always skip the fungus step by using alpha amylase and beta gluconase enzymes to break down the long chain starches into something the yeast can eat and then just experiment with pure sake, wine and beer yeast strains to see what you can produce. Just a thought.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #2386
TheDemonSlick
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I use the ones on the far right, alone or with monascus (red yeast rice). Good times.

Adventures in Ancient Asian Amylase producing Molds... Beni Koji, or Red Yeast Rice (Monascus Purpureas): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/beni-koji-red-yeast-rice-old-school-like-really-really-old-school-400098/
Using Chinese Winecakes or yeast cakes (Aspergillus Oryzae?) Sonofgroks thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/making-traditional-rice-wine-cheap-fun-different-361095/

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #2387
aiptasia
Recipes 

Well, I can report that using bentonite on my rice wine works. I think the key is using hot water to thoroughly dissolve it before you add it to the rice wine and thoroughly mixing it in before cold crashing.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #2388
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

What proportion of dry bentonite to rice wine did you use?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #2389
aiptasia
Recipes 

The instructions call for 2 tsp in 1/2 cup hot water for up to 5 gallons of wine. Since I had 32 ounces of wine, that's about .25 gallons. I used 1/4 teaspoon in 1/4 cup of piping hot water, stirred the heck out of it with a sanitized spoon, added it to the freshly pressed rice wine and stirred that up for about a minute prior to bottling. After that, I poured the rice wine into a 32 ounce swing top growler using my kitchen funnel, capped it, then pasteurized it (190f, cut the heat, insert the bottles and cover with a lid for 10 minutes). From there, it went directly on the bottom shelf of my fridge which is in the low 50's.

Two days later, it was about 1/3 cleared. Four days later (today) it was 2/3rds cleared. I used a small aquarium dosing pump to rack it slowly and gently off of the thick layer of rice sludge at the bottom using sanitized aquarium tubing. Out of 32 ounces cloudy rice wine, I now have about 22-23 ounces crystal clear rice wine with no filtration.

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #2390
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerianNightmares View Post

Ah, thanks! When you say loose cap, are we talking mason jar or like soda bottle?
Either actually, but glass.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply