The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #221
brussum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Finally found yeast balls in a nearby oriental grocery and started my first batch yesterday. Thanks for the instructions and advice. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #222
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Subscribed! I got some from a guy a few months back and it was awesome. I gave him some bottles that I got from Craigslist and he brought be a 12pk sampler of his beers and he included a couple bottles of his rice wine. I use to make sticky rice so I still have the steamer. Now off to the store to find the biggest jar I can find then to the asian market!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #223
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I brought a 1 liter bottle of this to a wine tasting party last night and the whole thing went very early on. It was very very popular.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #224
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For those who have harvested a batch, how do you describe the taste? I just gleaned the liquid from my first batch (jasmine rice), and mine has a sweet, very slightly vinegar taste, but far from unpleasant. What are other folks tasting?
Appears very cloudy (haven't settled it out in a fridge, but it might be fun to stir some food coloring in here for seasonal/holiday purposes

Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #225
kevinstan
Recipes 

Just started my batch this evening. I used about 5 or 6 cups of cleaned and steamed jasmine rice, and two yeast balls. I have it in a 1500ml ball jar with airlock on top. I noticed a little bit of condensation on the inside about an hour after starting is this ok ? I don't want any nasties. Anyone else get condensation ? Also, is everyone stirring every day or just leaving it alone for the full 28-30 days then harvesting ?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #226
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Isn't it always?
Of course it's bubbling and floating like it should.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #227
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
Just started my batch this evening. I used about 5 or 6 cups of cleaned and steamed jasmine rice, and two yeast balls. I have it in a 1500ml ball jar with airlock on top. I noticed a little bit of condensation on the inside about an hour after starting is this ok ? I don't want any nasties. Anyone else get condensation ? Also, is everyone stirring every day or just leaving it alone for the full 28-30 days then harvesting ?
Not a problem. I always have nice condensation inside. And I don't stir.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #228
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
I stirred daily for one week. Condensation was no issue. I have both batches strained and in refrigerator, just need to strain one last time then pasteurize so it will be shelf stable. Very happy with the clarity, as I used a double layer of fine mesh and allowed it to drip drain overnight--no squeezing even though I still have a cloudy layer of wine and that portion will be bottled on its own and be used first.
The taste of the red yeast rice batch is very nice and the aromatics are still intensely fruity while I find the all white rice batch is smooth, a bit sweet but with vanilla tones. Will post photos of final product when I can.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #229
kevinstan
Recipes 

Sara: I would love to see some pictures of the final product after it was strained to clear. This is something I will be trying also. I would like to see how clear you go it. Also interested in more detail of how you did it and what type of mesh you used.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #230
lakeslad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

can i use anything other than the yeast balls? ive looked here in the uk and they cost a fortune nearly £20 a bag around $40

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God''s waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Quick Reply