Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #201
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am curious if using a vessel with an airlock will change the outcome of having mold grow on top. I am thinking that using the cheesecloth on top to allow c02 to escape is also allowing too much oxygen in. I am going to start my batch this weekend and will be using a 1500ml ball canning jar with an airlock I put on top. I will report how it goes in case anything is different.

I am also wondering why in all the pictures it seems like everyone is only filling up their container about 1/3 of the way up ? This could also be leaving too much headspace. I am going to fill my batch almost all the way up to the top.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #202
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I am pretty sure you WANT the mold in any proper sake.

http://www.sake-world.com/html/koji.html

Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #203
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@kevinstan: Keep in mind, that stuff like this was traditionally done in a more or less open-air type configuration. An airlock isn't likely to make much difference, IMHO.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #204
glenlivet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have some liquid sake yeast in my frozen yeast bank. It's about 5-10ml of yeast in glycerol. Id like to try and use this for a batch; any suggestions on how to make a starter? I was thinking either a small dme starter just to wake them up and see if they're viable then pitch to the rice. Or just pitch directly to a small amount of rice and add that to the larger batch. I'm leaning towards the dme method since I know what it should look like if they're still good.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #205
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenlivet View Post
I have some liquid sake yeast in my frozen yeast bank. It's about 5-10ml of yeast in glycerol. Id like to try and use this for a batch; any suggestions on how to make a starter? I was thinking either a small dme starter just to wake them up and see if they're viable then pitch to the rice. Or just pitch directly to a small amount of rice and add that to the larger batch. I'm leaning towards the dme method since I know what it should look like if they're still good.
You might run into trouble with just the yeast because the koji or amalayse enzyme is required to break the sugars in the rice to make them accessible to the yeast. The koji doesn't behave like the yeast and does not grow to my knowledge in starters etc. Maybe your yeast has amalayse enzyme in it which would work but still would not multiply in a starter so you would need to pitch enough.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #206
glenlivet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right, I forgot all about the koji. Good call, thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #207
tdub1327
Recipes 

Sonofgrok, how much fruit do you add to flavor the rice wine? Also , the lid is tight with cheese cloth? I am using mason jars, do I need to leave the top part of the lid in?

Please, anybody , how much fruit do I use to flavor my wine? Is there a ratio or something? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #208
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdub1327 View Post
Sonofgrok, how much fruit do you add to flavor the rice wine? Also , the lid is tight with cheese cloth? I am using mason jars, do I need to leave the top part of the lid in?

Please, anybody , how much fruit do I use to flavor my wine? Is there a ratio or something? Thanks.
Meh... I eyeball it. Usually maybe the juice from a cup of fruit or so. I would leave the center in on the mason jars.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #209
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Do you think the warm ambient temp is necessary for character, or will cooler (ambient ~68) be ok but just take longer?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #210
tdub1327
Recipes 

Thank you! I can't wait to try it!

Quick Reply