The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #191
negativereaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let it be known that my two batches that are currently fermenting both are hairy on top after a couple weeks, maybe an inch of fuzz, to the point where the rice grains themselves are not visible. It's a nice downy soft white fuzz. I'm fermenting around 80F (ambient temps in my FL garage). I'm still going to harvest the resulting liquid, although I am not sure I want my liquid to come into contact with that fuzz, so the harvesting process might be a bit sketchy. Definitely not going to discard what I have, but I think the next batch I might add water to my jars to get the rice just submerged below the surface, on the hunch that the water will prevent the onset of fuzz, or at least slow it down

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #192
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativereaction View Post
Let it be known that my two batches that are currently fermenting both are hairy on top after a couple weeks, maybe an inch of fuzz, to the point where the rice grains themselves are not visible. It's a nice downy soft white fuzz. I'm fermenting around 80F (ambient temps in my FL garage). I'm still going to harvest the resulting liquid, although I am not sure I want my liquid to come into contact with that fuzz, so the harvesting process might be a bit sketchy. Definitely not going to discard what I have, but I think the next batch I might add water to my jars to get the rice just submerged below the surface, on the hunch that the water will prevent the onset of fuzz, or at least slow it down
I definitely would not add water. There is a Thai version like this and it just invites unwanted molds. Do you have your cloth/lid airlock on tight, sanitized everything well etc.?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #193
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ah, ok, thanks for the info on the water.

I'm sure my lid if not tight enough, and probably not sanitized well enough. Going to fire up another batch with a new jar, drowning everything in starsan first, and with extra effort to keeping things clean.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #194
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Yeah, I am not a sanitation Nazi or anything but I rinse the jar, lid, and cheesecloth with starsan and I keep the rice covered while it is cooling and stuff. Never have any trouble.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #195
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ugg reading anything about mold just makes me cringe! Mold scares me..if I open something that has mold I usually jump back, or drop it, definitely run for my husband to take care of it Aww well sounds like a great experiment though!!

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #196
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Okay, I feel a little better. I have some mold in one of my rice wine vessels growing on the top that looks just like post 118 think it was. I guess it's no biggie and to be expected even. My next question is it sounds like most of you are stirring it over the course of fermentation. I haven't yet and I'm about a week in. I guess I'll do that when I get home.

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #197
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Ugg reading anything about mold just makes me cringe! Mold scares me..if I open something that has mold I usually jump back, or drop it, definitely run for my husband to take care of it Aww well sounds like a great experiment though!!
I hope you never need a shot of penicillin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrausen View Post
Okay, I feel a little better. I have some mold in one of my rice wine vessels growing on the top that looks just like post 118 think it was. I guess it's no biggie and to be expected even. My next question is it sounds like most of you are stirring it over the course of fermentation. I haven't yet and I'm about a week in. I guess I'll do that when I get home.
I have not ever stirred. I have read its ok to do though.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #198
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I'm so not afraid of mold... I'll eat moldy cheese, bread, I don't care. Not black mold, but face it everything is covered with bacteria, parasites and microorganisms.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #199
cincydave
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, found this thread yesterday and went out and got some sticky rice and yeast balls today. The lady at the oriental grocry said one yeast ball to 2 pounds of rice. Batch is now "cooking" in a one gallon glass container. Hopefully will end up with something tasty.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #200
groundling
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

3 days in and there is about a cup of liquid in it now. I was concerned at first because I over cooked it slightly and this was the stickiest rice I have ever seen. I mean, it was difficult to get off my hands with soap and water. Anyway, when I first put it in the jar I was concerned that no oxygen would get into the middle. clearly that didn't make a wit of difference.

Also of interest, the top of it is covered in a white mold. Really fluffy looking. I'm not concerned about it because the koji rice had a fine hairy later on it to begin with. I assume that is what koji looks like.

Quick Reply