Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #181
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

How might one go about safely bottle priming this stuff? I was thinking of cutting it with water to about 9 % and putting it in a beer bottle or two. i wonder at what point this yeast poops out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #182
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 117

My latest batch of blueberry. Delicious.

I have to confess that it carbed ever so slightly.

I am looking forward to some of you all hopefully posting up your final products!

bb-sake.jpg  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #183
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I will definitely update once I get started. My larger glass vessels are all holding Kombucha, kimchee and pickles at the moment, so I will need to acquire another vessel for this. I would really like to start with at least a gallon of cooked rice. It doesn't seem worth it to only end up with a 12 ounce bottle or two, and there is very little that I don't like in the world of alcohol so not liking it really isn't a concern of mine.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #184
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It doesn't seem worth it to only end up with a 12 ounce bottle or two
That is a 1 liter bottle

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #185
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok

That is a 1 liter bottle
How much rice did it take to fill that?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #186
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post

The Shanghai Dried Yeast Balls I am using are made of rice flour, yeast, water; product of Macau.
They do sell just simple rice balls at market (think rice dumplings for soups/stews), so you want to make sure these are yeast balls, or sometimes sold in cake or patty form.
So about this yeast. Clearly it is a highly alcohol tolerant strain and low flocculating, any ideas on how it would work with a big beer? It seems like it would finish pretty clean as well given the clean crisp taste rice wine typically has.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #187
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
How much rice did it take to fill that?
Well it is hard to say because I brewed up about 5-6 cups rice dry but when it came to filtering out the wine, I accidentally spilled probably a 1/4 o it or so.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #188
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiteface View Post

So about this yeast. Clearly it is a highly alcohol tolerant strain and low flocculating, any ideas on how it would work with a big beer? It seems like it would finish pretty clean as well given the clean crisp taste rice wine typically has.
No clue. Worse case scenario, you pour your beer out. The site below mentions a style of rice beer.

I was reading on a sake page, http://homebrewsake.com/home/recipe/, which of course uses koji they grow, etc., but it had steps week by week, talks about priming, aging, etc., and it mentioned that they recommend pasteurizing when finished because it tends to pick up lactobacillus infection quite easily.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #189
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Earlier in the thread I read that a couple batches of rice wine got mold on it while it was fermenting. I know this is probably a little normal because it's mold spores that is fermenting it? I'd like to try making a batch but I don' t think I could handle drinking something that had fuzzies growing on it..does this happen every time?

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #190
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Earlier in the thread I read that a couple batches of rice wine got mold on it while it was fermenting. I know this is probably a little normal because it's mold spores that is fermenting it? I'd like to try making a batch but I don' t think I could handle drinking something that had fuzzies growing on it..does this happen every time?
Mold will happen in this whether you like it or not. Just the degree of visible mold is dependant on the fermenting environment. Now I am more familiar to traditional Japanese style Sake ferments that use Koji or Rice covered in different types of Aspergillus mold. The style used here I have recently learned is more akin to Chinese brewing methods that uses both Aspergillus mold and Rhizopus mold in order to convert the starches into Fructose, Glucose & some Dextrose. Now if you really want to inhibit mold growth you can ferment the brew at a lower temperature. To keep Aspergillus from getting hairy, you want temps as low as 50*F and as high as 55*F. Yet you also need a yeast that can handle being that cold. I am not sure if the yeast in the yeast balls used here has that low of a temperature tolerance. Also not sure on the tolerances of Rhizopus mold so it may get a bit hairy still at those temps or it may slow it down so that the relatively short ferment time here does not allow for it to get hairy. Just try it out regardless & from the sounds of everyone you should be happy with the end result. A little good mold doesn’t hurt anyone

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Quick Reply