Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #141
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdivore
Is it better to steam the sweet rice rather than cooking it in a rice cooker? I've had problems with under-cooking sweet rice when steaming it (the centers of some of the kernels were hard). Plus I don't have my bamboo steamer anymore. It'd be easier for me to make it in a rice cooker or even a double boiler with a predetermined amount of water.
You shouldn't need to. Here's how I cook rice. Use 1 rice to 2 water. Bring to a boil with the lid off, then put the lid on and cut down to a bare simmer. After 10 minutes turn the heat off completely. The rice does indeed steam, the steam finished off the cooking process and you don't get rice stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #142
nghtmre4u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have good luck doing rice in microwave 1 rice - 2 water will that work for this also?

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

malweth Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #143
bpparker
Recipes 

I made a different recipe for sake in a four gallon jug and ended up with a ton of sake. (I have a bunch of friends to,,,, well,,,, get drunk also haha!) It worked out great but the recipe was a lot more effort than this one was. I'm planning to make this recipe in the jug but in a much larger quantity and assume it'll work fine.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #144
kevinstan
Recipes 

I have a 1500ml ball canning jar, a 1.5 liter carlo rossi wine jug, and some 1 gallon glass wine jugs. Which would be best for making some of this ? I will be using an airlock for all containers. I would like to be able to at least brew a few bottles of this at a time to keep it going. Not sure if anyone has tried any jugs yet or if everyone is using the large wide top glass jars only.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #145
CaptainAsparagus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
I have a 1500ml ball canning jar, a 1.5 liter carlo rossi wine jug, and some 1 gallon glass wine jugs. Which would be best for making some of this ? I will be using an airlock for all containers. I would like to be able to at least brew a few bottles of this at a time to keep it going. Not sure if anyone has tried any jugs yet or if everyone is using the large wide top glass jars only.
I used a wide-mouth gallon glass jar I purchased from Wal-Mart for $5.50. I made enough of a mess with the rice and wide-mouth jar that I wouldn't consider attempting a larger batch in a vessel with a typical slim neck. I can imagine the rice would not be easy to get out of the wine jugs, either.

I'd either use your 1500ml jar or spend a few bucks and get a gallon glass jar with a wide top.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #146
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yeah I wouldn't want to put rice in, or take it out, of a wine jug. Seems like that would be a huge pain.

However, they do sound like good bottles to put the finished product in. I have been putting mine in some empty liquor bottles that I remove the labels from. These bottles in particular come with very nice rubber stoppers instead of a traditional screw cap, and are pretty much perfect for this application.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #147
glenlivet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made some of this a few weeks back. Im lucky enough to have a food market around here that sells the rice balls, 3 for .50c! I made 2 cups of jasmine rice in a rice cooker and let it go about 3 weeks. After three weeks I used a cheese cloth to separate the leftover rice from wine. I squeezed the cloth which I won't do again, I got a lot of extra rice goo in the jar. I put the jar in the fridge to help separate out the wine from rice. I'm fortunate enough to work in a lab so ill see if I can centrifuge the leftover wine/rice and separate everything out. Here are some pics of everything

Freshly pitched and over filled
image-2088952833.jpg

After a few days. The cheese cloth picked up some wine and pulled it out. Next time ill get a bigger jar.
image-602711727.jpg

Separated out but still
Lots of rice pudding on the bottom
image-3921638745.jpg

This is what I decanted off the top of the previous picture.

image-2819927159.jpg

It tasted good, sweet up front with a tangy finish. I think I let it sit to long on the rice. It was about three and a half weeks. Nice kick to it!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #148
kevinstan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenlivet
I made some of this a few weeks back. Im lucky enough to have a food market around here that sells the rice balls, 3 for .50c! I made 2 cups of jasmine rice in a rice cooker and let it go about 3 weeks. After three weeks I used a cheese cloth to separate the leftover rice from wine. I squeezed the cloth which I won't do again, I got a lot of extra rice goo in the jar. I put the jar in the fridge to help separate out the wine from rice. I'm fortunate enough to work in a lab so ill see if I can centrifuge the leftover wine/rice and separate everything out. Here are some pics of everything

Freshly pitched

After a few days

Separated out but still
Lots of rice pudding on the bottom

This is what I decanted off the top of the previous picture.

It tasted good, sweet up front with a tangy finish. I think I let it sit to long on the rice. It was about three and a half weeks. Nice kick to it!
When you used the two cups of rice: how much did the finished product produce? Enough to fill a wine bottle ? Or less ?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #149
glenlivet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan

When you used the two cups of rice: how much did the finished product produce? Enough to fill a wine bottle ? Or less ?
A few hundred milliliters. The jar in most of the pictures is 500ml. I'd guess about 200-250ml. Maybe a little less, some of that was the leftover rice. The bottle in the last picture is a 1L flip top if that helps give a perspective. The flip top only has what I could pour off from the second to last picture. What's left I'm going to bring to work and spin down in a centrifuge and see how much I can get out. Hopefully another 100-200ml.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #150
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I used about 2-3 cups of rice (I think) and ended up with 325ml of wine.

Quick Reply