Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #1081
Athos56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbig View Post
OK.. so we let this go for at least 21 days. Do you think that's necessary? Do you think it's anything like a normal brew and the majority of the fermentation is done after the first 6-8 days? I know my airlock was bubbling pretty good on days 3-4, but it dropped off after that and didn't bubble any more.

If it's only a difference of a couple percent of alcohol to get a batch every week versus every three weeks, I'd say it's worth it. Opinions?
Mine went to the limits of the yeast in about a week. The mass of the rice reduced significantly. I had about 1/3 of the original mass left over as semi-solid starches in bucket at the end. I honestly think that a 1:1 ratio, fermented at a higher temp for a shorter period is viable path. Drinking a glass right now and it is hard to argue with the results. But as always YMMV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #1082
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

And what kind of temps are you talking about?

An also.. if just soaking the rice gets it to swell, why do we need to steam or cook it instead of just soaking for say.. 24 hrs? Then you could drain off any liquid and add the yeast balls instead of having to worry about cooling back down? Does the cooking do something to the starches needed for the Koji?

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #1083
wooda2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
And what kind of temps are you talking about?

An also.. if just soaking the rice gets it to swell, why do we need to steam or cook it instead of just soaking for say.. 24 hrs? Then you could drain off any liquid and add the yeast balls instead of having to worry about cooling back down? Does the cooking do something to the starches needed for the Koji?
Cooking gelatinizes the starch, making it easier for the enzymes to convert, and it also kills off any critters that are on the rice

Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #1084
lakedawgs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As far as pasteurizing goes, why not just pasteurize the whole batch of wine in a pot after separating the rice, then bottle. Any different that pasteurizing in the bottle?
Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #1085
xfevv
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I'm wondering if hypothetically a guy could follow this same process with other grains and get anything that tastes good.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #1086
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedawgs View Post
As far as pasteurizing goes, why not just pasteurize the whole batch of wine in a pot after separating the rice, then bottle. Any different that pasteurizing in the bottle?
Thanks
Yes, you can do a volume pasteurization, that is exactly what the average Asian family does when making this. Either method will work.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #1087
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfevv View Post
So I'm wondering if hypothetically a guy could follow this same process with other grains and get anything that tastes good.
Stop hypothesizing and start experimenting. Report back in six weeks with detailed notes and pictures
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #1088
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedawgs View Post
Thanks

If you start heating up the whole batch in a pot, you're going to start losing alcohol as it evaporates.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #1089
wooda2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:

If you start heating up the whole batch in a pot, you're going to start losing alcohol as it evaporates.
Not with a lid on the pot. You only need to get it up to 150F for a little while, nowhere close to actually boiling

Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #1090
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

An FYI. I did a 4 cup (1 gallon) batch of sushi rice. I used 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice. Crushed up 2 yeast balls and layered it into a 1 gallon jar from walmart. Batch started 2 weeks ago. I have not tried any yet but it smells very good. Like really sweet vanilla. Going to wait till 3 weeks as my temps here average 65 deg. Pretty sure this is going to be really good.

Quick Reply