The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #91
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

After I tasted my first batch the other day (a week ago? I have lost track of time), I immediately started a couple others going on the counter the same day that I bottled the first one. This time, I made bigger batches...I want to say I did about 6-7 cups of rice. We normally use Calrose for our daily consumption, so that's what I have been using to make the sake.

I tasted mine again last night and it makes for an excellent reishuu (cold sake). It smells fairly potent, but not like jet fuel or anything...just perfumy alcohol. You can tell there's a decent amount of alcohol in it, but the flavor is mildly sweet and extremely smooth. It has been nice and comfortable in the low-mid 60's in my house so it has been perfect for fermentation on the counter.

My first small test batch was around 2-3 cups of rice, I think, and I ended up with 325ml of wine from that. So, I think my bigger batch ought to put me right around my target 750ml, which will be perfect to fill up some empty liquor bottles I have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #92
nerdivore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Saramc, why do you advise rinsing the rice after soaking until the water runs clear? Doesn't that remove some of the starch that could be broken down into simple sugars and then fermented?

I'm wondering if some of the lees/strained rice solids could be used to start the next batch. That would save me from having to order more yeast balls in the future as I can't get them locally.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #93
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

The problem with reusing the lees is that amalyse enzyme is not like yeast. It is not a living organizim that continually reproduces as you feed it. So using the lees may work a little but it will stop converting the starches into sugars way early on.

Rinsing the rice is important because you are rinsing rice hull or outer rice layer dust off. That will not contribute much to starch conversion and will only add a slight bittering effect if left un-rinsed.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #94
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Subbed. I'm definitely intrigued by this one.

-Kingboomer

Old 11-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #95
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

It sort of goes without saying that you should always rinse your rice before you cook it, whether it's for making sushi, sake, or just eating. It is a standard practice an any asian home. By doing so you are essentially getting rid of all the "garbage" stuff that comes from the production and packaging of the rice.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #96
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to the rice rinsing responses!

Update: the wine that is being made with sushi rice and yeast balls is knocking my socks off with a taste on the spoon after stirring. Still early, very sweet and undoubtedly pleasant. There is no noticeable level of liquid but I think it has to do with the sushi rice. There is liquid there but it is bonded with the steamed rice as it breaks down. Looks like a milky rice pudding, minus any eggs, raisins or cinnamon.

The red yeast rice/yeast ball ferment is now at puree stage as far as what the rice component looks like. A lot of liquid. Smells super fruity, definitely converting the starch to alcohol because the sweetness is not as noticeable now...but when I took a sip of wine this morning I literally closed my eyes and sighed. Imagining it chilled! Have decided to strain at day 21, 12/4, at least that is what I say today.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #97
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

One of the major lessons that I have learned from sharing this thread is that different rices all yield very different ferments but so far I have not heard one complaint about the final products! Pretty cool.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #98
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

First off let me say thank you for posting this. I was excited when I ran across this thread and couldn't wait to get this going. I finally got by a Chinese market today and picked up the yeast balls and sushi rice to make this. I got a little ambitious and ended up making three jars of this stuff. I suppose I'll leave one with no flavorings and try different ones on the other two. In my excitement I just realized I didn't sanitize the cheese cloth. I guess we'll see how that plays out. Anyway, I'm excited to see how this turns out and thank you for all the details and documentation.

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #99
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

You will probably be ok without sanitizing the cheese cloth. This almost immediately goes to a high alcohol ferment. I have never had an infection.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #100
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I went into a Chinese market in SF just now to get my yeast balls, and had a bag of glutinous rice among my other purchases. The lady at the register said "Ooh, you make the wine?", with a smile. I told her yes, and she said "No no you get this kind of rice", directing me to another variety. She was whispering something to her husband as I left, and they were both laughing. I guess we're not the only ones doing this.

Quick Reply