Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Anyone have a 1 gallon sake recipe ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone have a 1 gallon sake recipe ?

I am looking for a simple 1 gallon sake / rice wine recipe. I can't find one online for some reason. There has to be one out there somewhere. Anyone ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sake is a difficult thing to make. I'll post a simple recipe for 1 gallon but highly suggest checking out the following site:

http://www.taylor-madeak.org/index.php

1 gallon Sake

1 2/5 cups Koji
5 3/4 cups Rice
9 1/10 cups Water (Good mineral/spring water only like Fiji water)

Reading the site listed above Taylor explains that traditional Sake is made up of the 3 above ingrediant (Plus Yeast) in the following ratio (Koji:Rice:Water) 25%:100%:160%.

I am sure there are measurements that are better to go by than cups but I just know 1 gallon of water is 16 cups so applied the above ratio to get close to 16 cups.

I have seen other people do 1 gallon Sake batches with the following though:

1 cup Koji
4 cups Rice
Water to 1 gallon

A lot of people say to add citric acid or acid blend but that should be highly avoided because the Koji will add a bit of sour to the mix to balance out any sweetness that is left over. Adding any more acid will make the drink too acidic. Especially if you go with the second recipe which will be more dry.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

KaraRae Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a simple rice wine recipe which involves the use of red rice yeast and yeast balls, though this can be made without the red rice yeast if you desire. Not a true sake but a traditional rice wine across many provinces... http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.com/2012/07/mums-red-glutinous-rice-wine.html?m=1

I have sourced the yeasts at http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=yeast&Search.x=0&Search.y =0

Though if you have a local oriental grocery you may find them. The white yeast come in balls, like penny gumball size or cake form, kind of like a small hockey puck.

...Sara

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Here is a simple rice wine recipe which involves the use of red rice yeast and yeast balls, though this can be made without the red rice yeast if you desire. Not a true sake but a traditional rice wine across many provinces... http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.com/2012/07/mums-red-glutinous-rice-wine.html?m=1

I have sourced the yeasts at http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=yeast&Search.x=0&Search.y =0

Though if you have a local oriental grocery you may find them. The white yeast come in balls, like penny gumball size or cake form, kind of like a small hockey puck.

...Sara
Wow I have been looking for a supplier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for red yeast rice. That stuff is used to make Akaisake which is a traditional Sake of sorts. Using that stuff you can have it substitute 20 - 30% of the Koji in my original recipe and it makes a bolder, more fruity & almost vanilla like character to the sake. Once the temps even out a little and are consistently cooler I am going to have to make some Akaisake.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

KaraRae Likes This 
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
esmith
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

where can u buy koji locally ??

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
kevinstan
Recipes 

My local oriental marketplace is where I get my Koji from.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith View Post
where can u buy koji locally ??
In the oriental market look in the isle they kep the Miso pastes. Koji is what is used to make Miso and so is sold more for that reason. The most common brand of Koji Rice is "Cold Mountain Koji". Also many LHBS carry Koji spores which can be used to make your own koji rice.

esmith Likes This 

Quick Reply