Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Gluten Free > Extract - Gluten Free Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Would adding dark brown sugar instead of molasses help with the bitterness?

The 1lb of Dark candi goes in after fermentation has started--so in the primary, correct? how long after fermentation do you add it or does that not matter?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
Riddei
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I simplified this recipe to a 3-2-1
3.3# sorghum
2# dark sugar
1# Molasses
Fuggle hops
and I dropped 6oz of unsweetened cocoa the last 5 mins of the boil.
I have some Great decaf hazelnut coffee that my wife loves and I am going to cold steep some of that at add it at bottling unless I am told of a better way to get the coffee flavor in. I tok a grav reading at tasted it, and right now it tastes like like chocolate grapefruit. It looks like chocolate milk and smells wonderful.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #33
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Brewed this up several weeks ago. Did a tasting at two weeks, so far it's fairly undrinkable. Very astringent, probably mostly from the molasses. Going to let it sit for another month and try it again.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #34
DanMalleck
Recipes 

I've been brewing a few gluten free beers, with the most success from Wicked Messenger Wit (thanks!). Looking at this one and thinking about the sorghum bitterness, since adding more fermentables will just cause more fermentation, even if you get some flavour out of them, I imagine that adding some lactose would smooth that out a bit. Non fermentable and sweet. It would become a milk stout, but what the heck?!

BTW, I wonder about the comments re: losing head retention from oils in cocoa. From my experience, head retention is simply not a feature of GF beers, so would this really matter? I'd love to know from people who have managed to get a decent and somewhat lasting head (or at least some lacing) what they did.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #35
mr_y82
Recipes 

good point about head rentention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
Brewed this up several weeks ago. Did a tasting at two weeks, so far it's fairly undrinkable. Very astringent, probably mostly from the molasses. Going to let it sit for another month and try it again.
Before I researched the forums I did an experimental gluten free beer for my wife... It was mostly honey and molasses.. it has gotten "better" with time... but astringent (and bitter as hell) is a good description... I only made a gallon since it was strictly experimental; after a year in the bottle it's almost tolerable... whereas even I could not drink it after only a few months (and I'll drink about anything!)... So don't give up on it, just age it like a fine wine if you have to.
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
PariahDawg
Recipes 

I just finished the last of these. really enjoyed it! the Hersheys chocolate worked fine. a little bit of nasty looking fat like stuff on the krausen but I was easily able to rack it without that stuff getting in. I also did a 50/50 split on the sorghum/brs which was the first time I did that and I liked it. Head was awesome, thick creamy head I think from malto dextrin which I use in every beer. I also did the dark candi sugar directly into the boil rather than in the secondary. I just didnt trust that going well. I got a good postive response from a lot of people who arent GF so that was nice. I'll do this again for sure. next up my pale ale!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #37
mr_y82
Recipes 

Hell yeah man... Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying this out when use up all the malt and such I have now.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #38
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_y82 View Post
Before I researched the forums I did an experimental gluten free beer for my wife... It was mostly honey and molasses.. it has gotten "better" with time... but astringent (and bitter as hell) is a good description... I only made a gallon since it was strictly experimental; after a year in the bottle it's almost tolerable... whereas even I could not drink it after only a few months (and I'll drink about anything!)... So don't give up on it, just age it like a fine wine if you have to.
You seem to have made a mead more than a beer to me. If that is the case, it would take 1-2 years to become something drinkable in my limited mead making experience...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #39
mr_y82
Recipes 

yeah, I think you're right; I have two batches of mead in the works too... I can't remember if it was a 50/50 mix of molasses and honey... could look it up, but it's not really worth it, lol... too much molasses in any case... but I will keep aging it and keep drinking it along the way until the gallon's gone.

I'll stick to topic now!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #40
gailenjensen
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Ingredients:
------------

Grains:
1 lb 8 oz Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats, roasted (1 SRM)
12 oz Wild Rice, roasted (350 SRM)
8 oz Millet, roasted (20 SRM)

4 lbs Brown Rice Syrup (60 min)
1 lb 4 oz Dark Candi Sugar (60 min)
1 lb Molasses (60 min)
3 lbs Sorghum Syrup (15 min)

.75 oz Chinook, pellet 11.4% (60 min)
.25 oz Chinook, pellet 11.4% (30 min)
.50 oz Fuggles, pellet 4.8% (15 min)

1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
9 oz Fat Free Cocoa Powder (10 min)
8 oz Maltodextrin (5 min)

2-3 Vanilla Beans, split, chopped (Secondary, 7 days)

I roasted the oats for 1 hour at 350-F; the wild rice for 1 hour at 400-F, it has a chocolate color to it once roasted- no longer black and shiny; millet starting at 225 with a 25 degree increase every 30 minutes until it was the color I wanted

Carbed with 3.8 oz of corn sugar

**Adapted from CheshreCat's recipe here**

If I were to make this again, which I will in the fall, I will probably cut back to about 6 oz on the cocoa powder and maybe cut the oats back to 1 lb.

The beer took a while to carb and it is finally coming to it's stride. Some of my friends really like it and for some it is wayyy too bitter chocolaty.
Did you soak the oats before roasting and if so for how long? If you posted that info already, I didn't get that far yet.

Reason: added comment

Quick Reply