Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Gluten Free > Extract - Gluten Free Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
Doppleganger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sounds good! My wife & a few friends are celiacs and want a good dark beer. I was thinking of making this with a few adjustments: cutting back the cocoa to 4 oz and leaving out the vanilla, and adding some coffee, maybe 3/4 lb?
Also, I noticed you left out the rice & millet in your re-write. You think I'll be wasting my time by using them?
And how do you add candi sugar to the secondary? Boil it down or just pitch it?

Thanks!

BTW, my second batch was a GF Wit using your "Wicked Messenger" recipe. We're drinking it now and it's a hit!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't really say if you'd be wasting your time. I think they add a little more depth to the beer but with all the chocolate it just gets over powered. I haven't really experimented with the grains enough to give you a good answer though.

Glad you like the wit- it is one of my favorites thus far

Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
jwilki1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm getting to try this recipe on Friday. I just found it. How critical is it to roast the oats and how long do they need to sit before I try and brew with them so I don't pickup any funky tastes/smells?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
euripaetus
Recipes 

i brewed this one and cut back the cocoa to 5oz, and added 1 cup of espresso ground coffee. it turned out alright, but i needed to roast the grains longer, it turned out to be closer to a chocolate brown than a stout. my celiac friend loved it, but she isnt a much of a beer drinker for obvious reasons.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I didn't roast my oats on the last go around if that means anything to you?

Euripaetus- it seems that no matter how long I roast my grains- unless I am going to mash them to get my wort, the color just isn't going to be like a stout.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
jwilki1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, thanks Lcasanova. I roasted them last night. How long and at what temp did you mash them at?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
geohalifax
Recipes 

how much water are you using in this recipe? standard here is 23 liter total, not sure if it's the same in the USA.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #18
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

This was a partial boil that was diluted up to 5 gallons.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
geohalifax
Recipes 

thanks! a good friend of mine has gluten allergies and i can't wait to play with this recipe... sounds great. thanks for sharing it. read your review of it as well, very helpful.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #20
MBruno
Recipes 

I'm brand new to GF brewing, but I made the non-GF version of this beer and liked it, so I made this batch for my girlfriend who is gluten intolerant. Since it was the first batch, I scaled backed to 1 gallon to experiment. I brewed my first batch in late September (I don't have my brew book with me - but it was around 9/28). I forgot the chocolate, so I decided against the vanilla bean as well. I also had to use Lactose because I the home brew mart here didn't have maltodextirne. I racked to secondary after 2 weeks, then to bottles 2 weeks after. I cracked the first one today and it was great!

First tastes were good, but the aftertaste was fairly bitter. There was little to no head on the beer which I was curious about since most of the comments said the chocolate would be what killed the head. I'm going to try this beer again and scale back the hops slightly, actually add the chocolate and perhaps throw some coffee in the mix. But really I want to figure out why there's no head - anything I can do?

Quick Reply