Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Gluten Free > Extract - Gluten Free Belgian Strong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Extract - Gluten Free Belgian Strong

Friends, Americans, Obsessive Homebrewers lend me your ears...

I am posting to give you a truly fantastic GF beer.

I am not celiac, gluten intolerant, vegetarian, paleo diet or whatever. I'm a child of the 20th century that loves beer and beef. I grew up on a cattle ranch, I'm a homebrewer for my hobby, and I'm a gun lobbyist by trade.

My mother in law, however, is gluten free and my wife has a touch of the hippie to her. I don't hold this against them whatsoever.

To that end, I've brewed a gluten free beer that I find delectable, and they enjoy as well.

My fundamental concept was that sorghum doesn't taste that great. So a malt dominated style was out of the question. Hop bombs already were everywhere, so I came to the conclusion that a yeast and spice dominated flavor was the only road for a red-blooded American to take.

With that in mind, I give you this beer.

The flavor is of ginger, yeast and, after a month, a lot of banana. The head looks great in the beginning, but it fades pretty quick.

Gentle readers, I want you to know that I love this beer as I love few beers. It's tangy, yeasty, and tasty in ways that I wasn't expecting. After gelatin and a month in conditioning, it's as clear as a bell, and the flavor keeps mutating and evolving along into something better each day.

Here's my recipe.

Code:

4lb Tapioca Syrup
  2lb Sorgum Syrup
  1/2lb Beet Sugar (Cane will work too, but if you're in the West, beet is generally more common)
  1/2lb Candi Sugar

1 oz Styrian Goldings (60 minutes) 15.6 IBU  
  2 oz Saaz (15 Minutes) 12.9 IBU

Wyeast Belgian Saison Yeast (Critical to Flavor)

10 minutes to flameout add

8g Coriander, 3g Fresh Ginger, and 2.5g Grains of Paradise

Cool to 70, pitch yeast, then warm to high 80s.  I went all the way to 90 with this in August.
As I said, the flavor changes over time, but at a month it is a clean yeasty flavor with banana, coriander, and ginger. If you like Belgians, this beer is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
aspitzer
Recipes 

Default Going for it tomorrow

I have the ingredients ready to be picked up tonight. My sister-in-law has celiac and I'm brewing this so she can enjoy beer throughout the holidays without headaches that gluten gives her. I'll post a follow up once its done.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
manoaction
Recipes 

Awesome, I'd like hear how it comes out for you.

After doing this a few more times, my biggest reminder is to let it condition warm for as close to a month as you can.

If you stop the conditioning earlier it's spicy and gingery rather than mellow banana.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
jankdc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any thoughts if a different yeast would work? Say White labs 500 that ferments better during the winter?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
manoaction
Recipes 

I would strongly suggest using a space heater in the bathroom during winter. The high temp gives you the profile you're looking for.

Even so, another yeast would work fine as long as it is a dominating profile. WLP500 sounds like it would be darn tasty, but I'd like 545 a little better for a cooler yeast.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
MMachi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tapioca syrup?

Hi, folks -

I'm kicking this old thread as I am very interested in brewing this one for my gluten-sensitive mother, but I'm struggling to find the best place to get Tapioca Syrup. My LHBS doesn't seem to have it and it seems to be available online here and there, but I'm not sure what supplier is best.

Any suggestions on where I should source it? Also, is there a specific Candi Sugar I should use (I assume clear, but wanted to confirm).

Thanks for the recipe. I am very much looking forward to surprising my mother with a beer she can drink!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
manoaction
Recipes 

Hmm... I've always grabbed the tapioca from my local shop, so I'm no help there. As for the candi sugar, I've been using the lightest stuff possible.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
MMachi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction
Hmm... I've always grabbed the tapioca from my local shop, so I'm no help there. As for the candi sugar, I've been using the lightest stuff possible.
Thanks for the response. I'll keep looking around and try to get this in the brew rotation during the summer when I can get temps up to the right range. I'll post some pictures and results when I do!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
medic4963
Recipes 

Apparently tapioca syrup is that hard to find.... 3 brew stores and 4 health food/specialty stores and none had or heard of it.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
medic4963
Recipes 

Finally made this, darker than I expected and a wee bit hoppy. Very nice and definayly enjoyable. My celiac relatives thank you.

Quick Reply