New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Want to Buy > WTB Looking for a Johnson Digital controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
breweringbeaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Looking for a Johnson Digital controller

Looking for a newish Johnson digital controller .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

PM sent.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
gandelf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one I modified to fit in a control panel. I would sell it cheap.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Ok is it single or dual stage?

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
gandelf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Johnson A419 are single stage; heat or cool, but not both.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm thinking of shifting my chamber design into using a dual control

Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

A dual stage is a definite bonus. The main reason I am considering selling my old Johnson A419. It was handy for lagering when I only had that and one STC-1000, but now that I have 3 of the STCs, I am not planning on using the Johnson. That said, they are good, solid units and can read in F, the only major downside of the STC IMO.

I think Ranco has a nice dual stage unit if you want to stay with a quality product instead of saving money and going with a foreign STC. FWIW I haven't had an issue with the STC I've been using.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've only been looking at Johnson or ranco and the china stc do dual temp control? And my understanding is that have to be wired?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Ranco has a dual stage. The one I looked at cost $150 from Morebeer (probably not the lowest price out there...) That was for a wired model.

Yes, the STC-1000 needs to be wired, but that might cost $10 to buy the box and outlet(s). Personally I have a TON of computer cables, so other than the receptacle end, I didn't have to buy the wiring.

They are not terribly challenging to wire if you take it one step at a time, and of course if you are wiring a simple single outlet version it's pretty easy, and if you do as some people have done and wired whole outlets for Heat and full outlets for Cool, and another outlet for constant supply, it gets slightly more tricky, but I think it's nothing the common man couldn't do with a pair of wire cutters, a small screwdriver, and a pair of needlenose pliers.

I ended up cutting the shape of an outlet directly into a waterproof electrical project box on a CNC mill at work. There are ways to not have to do this, but since I had the machine there, I took advantage of it. Only slightly messed up the position of the cutout because I forgot to account for half the diameter of the cutter...

I'm sure someone could build a controller from an STC-1000 for cheaper than the price of a Ranco, but you'd still have the thing reading in Celsius, and of course, they aren't quite as durable/reliable as the Johnson/Ranco brands, which are more industrial. Mine hasn't quit yet, though, and it's powering up an upright freezer and a small space heater.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Hey, google images for STC-1000 build and see some examples of what people have done.

Quick Reply