Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Yet another brewtroller build -but this one is mine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #21
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I think it's a good idea that the BrewTroller can turn the power off.

To me, the idea of leaving mains power on to the BrewTroller seems against the purpose of an E-stop.

Why not have a battery backup, or even just a big capacitor? The microcontroller doesn't take much power. You can even have it enter sleep mode, so it uses even less, and wake up when there is some user input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Crazy idea, added level of complication, and waaaaaay over kill on design, but if we just stuck with basics I would still be doing stovetop extract with a 6gal "ale pail" bucket in the closet....

For the double batch day:
double-batch-day.jpg

Will probably not go this route, but a fun idea on paper. For those back to back brew days on a HERMS setup (at least on my plumbing design) is you can either circulate the BK and chiller, or the MLT, not both. By adding the RIMS tube you can mash one batch while boiling/chilling a second. The other option is a third pump and stick with HERMS instead of having both HERMS and RIMS... though with the RIMS I get my 3rd element that I am stubbornly holding on to Wistful planing while I am at work waiting on my orders to ship

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
Mb2658
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Deathweed
PS -

Thank you as always for your informed feedback. The MLT element will probably not be in my first iteration of my build, and if I like not having it, then it will never be added. As far as cleanup, I was planning on a tip dump setup for boil and MLT, and I have a mid pressure powerwasher with a trench drain to just pressure wash everything off at the end of the day.

I love the idea of keeping the BT powered and cutting everything else with the E-stop, thank you! What about keeping the key switch for a main throw to all power, for shutting everything down at the end of a brew day for example, then E-stop for just high powered elements? I will get back to the drawing board and see if I can come up with an example.

Edit: Like this -
Oscsys has an E Stop board with two relays so that you can turn off two different voltages with the E stop button. When you press the button, it pauses the Brewtroller and closes the two relays. The board also monitors the heartbeat of the Brewtroller and will close the relays and trigger an alarm in the event that the Brewtroller stops responding. I am using one on my build. One of the relays will close the contactors controlling my elements and the other relays will close the relays controlling the pumps.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
alien
Recipes 

NB those relays are only for turning off contactor coils, not the power themselves, because they are only rated 10A.

I don't know why the Brewtroller software doesn't use the watchdog alarm that is on the AVR chip. It would be simple enough to have the chip close itself down and thereby turn off the main power relay. No need to have external monitoring.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658 View Post
Oscsys has an E Stop board with two relays so that you can turn off two different voltages with the E stop button. When you press the button, it pauses the Brewtroller and closes the two relays. The board also monitors the heartbeat of the Brewtroller and will close the relays and trigger an alarm in the event that the Brewtroller stops responding. I am using one on my build. One of the relays will close the contactors controlling my elements and the other relays will close the relays controlling the pumps.
I was looking at that, but it just seemed to me another gadget when all I really need to do is turn the durn thing off if things go to hell With those more knowledgeable in using the brewtroller, if things stop working or you dont get the "heartbeat", if you have a relay wired as NO, will it open if previously closed, or stay in whatever state it was in when brewtroller goes dead?

I will already be getting the quad relay board for pumps and the like, and will have an open relay there to use as drawn above. What I was thinking when I drew that was not only would I have to have the brewtroller on, but it would have to be functioning to have power to my main elements, and would still have a manual override if things go to hell. Please correct me if mistaken, if the brewtroller E stop module is just that much better, I will get it, but to me it almost seemed overkill for a kill switch. Thanks to all!

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
Mb2658
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think that the main benefit of the E stop is that it will pause the program when pressed, allow you to fix it and then resume as opposed to powering off the entire system which will lose the program upon restart. Now depending on how you have your panel configured, as long as you have the DX1 powered independent of whatever you are killing, you should be able to pause it. I decided to go with the E stop board when I purchased my DX1 because I liked the integration and figured that it was worth using. I guess time will tell.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
alien
Recipes 

I do like the idea of a separate power supply to the microcontroller. It would work well with 2 boxes, a power box containing the relays and breakers and a low voltage box with the switches and displays.

Battery back up would have the additional advantage that if there was a power interruption for any reason (including the 50A spa panel breaker tripping) the status would not be lost.

It could be very simple to implement, just 3xAA and a diode.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Doing some online searching while I have been laid up sick, it looks like these parts should work, but would like to double check with resident gurus:

Quad relay board:
http://www.uxcell.com/blue-srd12vdcslc-channel-12v-high-level-power-relay-module-board-p-234018.html

Element contactor:
http://www.uxcell.com/110v-50hz-coil-28aac1-pole-3no-660v-35mm-mounting-rail-contactor-p-256168.html

Main power contactor:
http://www.uxcell.com/110v-50hz-coil-65aac1-three-pole-normal-open-660v-contactor-p-256082.html

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
alien
Recipes 

I use uxcell a lot.Personally I'd get an optoisolated relay board. The main contactor looks good. 2 poles should be enough for the element contactor but that's a good price. I was thinking of using the thinner CT1-25 ones.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #30
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Thanks alien, i was looking at the thinner 2P contactors as well, but could not pass up the uxcell price... I think I have room for everything, if not my box is being custom made by a friend of mine, so until then I have a prototype box in the workings. With all the Chinese parts, I would like to introduce everybody to Pho Pan (short for phony panel before anyone thinks I am a complete racist)
img-20130505-00176.jpg

Thats just a trial layout with a few buttons and switches, the friend making my box says he frequently gets plastic panels like this all askew and gets told to "straighten it up and make it look good" I am still compiling parts and am waiting on my din rails and bus bars to come in before I get the innards together.

img-20130505-00180.jpg

Meanwhile the brewhouse build is progressing.

img-20130505-00178.jpg

Quick Reply