The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Yet another brewtroller build -but this one is mine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Yet another brewtroller build -but this one is mine

As part of my brewhouse build I am updating my brewery as well. I am starting out converting to electric, then slowly convert to (the dream) fully automated including transfer to fermenter and fermenter control. I am working on rough plumbing diagrams right now while I get the stand welded and the basics on order (brewtroller dx1 module, enclosure, elements, ssr's, etc.)

First draft on plumbing:
setup1.jpg

Basic 60A eHERMS keggle system, blackheartish... , 2 pumps, CFC output. Plumbed to water inlet, CFC flows into septic line. Batch sparge, recirculate boil to sterilize CFC, probably will not recirculate HLT since I would believe convection in a keggle would maintain homogenous temperatures in that small an area, but am prepared to redesign if experience tells me I am wrong. I would like water inlet to all 3 kettles so I could potentially program a "clean cycle" type recipie. MLT *may* end up direct fired NG if i can get a plumber to extend my line a few feet for a decent price, or I can add a 3rd element on 60A service and just make sure only 2 are ever on at the same time.

With those familliar with brewtroller workings, I am wanting to possibly extend it with a RGBIO8 module to help control a cold room/fermentation as well, but that is down the road.

If there are any problems with my plumbing, I would love the feedback, or any clarification/problems with my dreams.... Just let me down slowly

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Last edited by Dr_Deathweed; 03-27-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: wrong diagram, added labels

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dr D,

COngrats on starting your re-build! A couple of comments from a recent completed build. I do see alot heat stratification in the HLT if it is not recirculation. Depending if you use the smart herms logic, it could really keep the BT searching for the correct temp.
You don't need water input to each kettle. In my system, I can direct water to any kettle already using the piping and manually selecting valves/pumps.
Why do you need the MLT to be heated if you're using HERMS to maintain temps?
I was trying to step through the processes with your valve layout and was a little confused. Maybe go through the steps and visualize which valves are active and what path the wort is taking.

Concerning the fermentation control...you can only run either Bretroller or Fermtroller software...not both.

You can PM me with specific questions if you like.

S-

Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
NuttyProf21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One question can you use the smart HERMS logic in a RIMS set up?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
psbuckland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No. The smart HERMS dynamically sets the HLT temp based on what it calculates is needed to achieve the desired temp. With rims you would just use Mash heat profile.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland View Post
Dr D,

COngrats on starting your re-build! A couple of comments from a recent completed build. I do see alot heat stratification in the HLT if it is not recirculation. Depending if you use the smart herms logic, it could really keep the BT searching for the correct temp.
Good to note, will make adjustments

Quote:
You don't need water input to each kettle. In my system, I can direct water to any kettle already using the piping and manually selecting valves/pumps.
Duh, that makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Why do you need the MLT to be heated if you're using HERMS to maintain temps?
The thing I like most about my 3 tier direct fire system is heating HLT and strike water at the same time. I keep hearing "use BK it heat strike water" but that doesnt work on double batch days. I was planning to have element/fire on only to heat strike and or cleaning water, and never come on again.

Quote:
I was trying to step through the processes with your valve layout and was a little confused. Maybe go through the steps and visualize which valves are active and what path the wort is taking.
I will make adjustments from prior sugestions and come back with a new diagram with walk through

Quote:
Concerning the fermentation control...you can only run either Bretroller or Fermtroller software...not both.
I was afraid of that but wanted to try if I could... well, the walk in cooler is a ways away on starting, let alone automating, so I can always get a little BX module at that point.

Thank you much for the feedback, I will get some drawings done probably on Monday... This evening and weekend will be focused on plumbing and framing the floor for my brew house!

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
NuttyProf21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

PS do you have a plumbing diagram?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
psbuckland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yep. It is still in work. Ill post it today once I get home.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Default Revision

Ok, here is go #2 with steps.

fill.jpg

mash.jpg

sparge.jpg

boil.jpg

chill.jpg

Lemme know how this looks. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
NuttyProf21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When you use the fly sparge logic do you need to have the pressure sensors?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
psbuckland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the auto fly sparge...yes. Here is what I use for piping. I'm still experimenting with different configurations.

File Type: pdf DiabloPiping.pdf (20.8 KB, 99 views)

Quick Reply