Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Wiring Extech PID controllers to Honeywell VR8200a2132 valves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
jphelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wiring Extech PID controllers to Honeywell VR8200a2132 valves

Need a little assistance wiring up an Extech 48VTR PID controller to a Honeywell VR8200a2132. I understand that the 110AC connects to terminal 6 & 7 and my RTD connects to 1, 2 & 3 but I don't understand which terminals to wire the Honeywell valve going through the DC transformer. I don't think I need an SSR and I'm thinking I hookup to terminal 4 & 5 but I'm not entirely sure. Has anyone used these PID's or understand them well enough to help me wire the communication back to the gas valve?

I attached the manual but if that doesn't work you can find it by googling Extech 48vtr.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

File Type: pdf Extech 48vtr Manual.pdf (295.5 KB, 82 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelli View Post
Need a little assistance wiring up an Extech 48VTR PID controller to a Honeywell VR8200a2132. I understand that the 110AC connects to terminal 6 & 7 and my RTD connects to 1, 2 & 3 but I don't understand which terminals to wire the Honeywell valve going through the DC transformer. I don't think I need an SSR and I'm thinking I hookup to terminal 4 & 5 but I'm not entirely sure. Has anyone used these PID's or understand them well enough to help me wire the communication back to the gas valve?

I attached the manual but if that doesn't work you can find it by googling Extech 48vtr.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Pins 8 + 9 are your No relay control terminals for your Honeywell valve.
If your controller calls for heat, the relay closes (8&9) and connects the 24 v to one side of the Honeywell valve.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
jphelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB
If your controller calls for heat, the relay closes (8&9) and connects the 24 v to one side of the Honeywell valve.

Thanks for the guidance Claudius. When reviewing the manual the terms"pulsed" and "SSR" was throwing me off. Just want to make sure I understand the wiring correctly.

1. Wire the positive from the dc to a switch, then to the TR pin on the honeywell.
2. Wire the negative from the dc directly to the TH pin on the honeywell.

This way when the rtd sense heat is needed the pid will open the gas valve; when it senses no heat is needed the pid tells the honeywell to close.

Do I have this correct?

John

Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
jphelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB
Sorry, just realized after switch I need to run tge positive to pid terminal 8 before terminating at the TR pin. Likewise I need to run the negative to pid terminal 9 before terminating at the TH pin, correct?

John

Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry, just realized after switch I need to run tge positive to pid terminal 8 before terminating at the TR pin. Likewise I need to run the negative to pid terminal 9 before terminating at the TH pin, correct?

John
Connect one wire from your 24 VAC transformer (secondary side) directly to Honeywell valve terminal.

Connect the other wire from your 24 VAC transformer (secondary side) to terminal #8 on your controller.
Connect a wire from controller terminal #9 to the Honeywell valve terminal.
No DC voltages are used with the Honeywell standing pilot valve.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
jphelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I finally completed all my wiring and plumbing and didn't realize that the model Extech's I have will not read RTD's so I'm purchasing the Auberins SYL-2342. What sort of wiring change do I need to make to get these to work? I imagine I still need the DC transformer but do not need a SSR, correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Quote:
I finally completed all my wiring and plumbing and didn't realize that the model Extech's I have will not read RTD's so I'm purchasing the Auberins SYL-2342. What sort of wiring change do I need to make to get these to work? I imagine I still need the DC transformer but do not need a SSR, correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
I don't use those controllers, will look at the manual and reply as soon as possible.
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Quote:

Thanks,

John
Did you purchase the RTD from Auber?
Auber uses DIN type RTDs not NIST (JIS).

Connect 120 VAC to terminals 9 & 10
RTD to terminals 3, 4 & 5
Connect one wire from your 24 VAC transformer (secondary side) directly to Honeywell valve terminal TH or TR.

Connect the other wire from your 24 VAC transformer (secondary side) to terminal #7 on your Auber controller.
Connect a wire from controller terminal #8 to the Honeywell valve terminal TH or TR.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
jphelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks ClaudiusB, that was nearly the same from the Extech, nice I didn't have to re-wire the whole flipping thing. I now have to set my input and output valve on the honeywell so the burner burns clean and then I should be good to go. Thanks for all your help, I'll post some pictures of the new setup when I'm finished with everything.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #10
jphelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oh, yes I did purchase everything from Auberins, I should have done that from the start instead of buying 2 Extech's from eBay to match the one I already had, would have saved me time and allowed me to brew this last weekend... live and learn.

John

Quick Reply