What are you using? / What are you building?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalarchio

Reaction score
Just thought I'd get a poll of sorts going on what kind of automation people are using today and what they're working towards.

Past
I started with a very early version of the Brewtroller (2.2) along with solenoid valves (before we knew they were less than ideal). I never really reached a high level of automation; my setup had full manual override switches so my brew days were flipping switches on the control panel instead of turning valve handles. My gear was the traditional 3 vessel setup (cooler/cooler/keg) with propane fired kettle.

Present
I've recently pulled all the solenoid valves and have gone back to manual for now. I have a customized build loaded on the Brewtroller which has the monitoring features that I want. I've added an electric RIMS tube in my setup which the Brewtroller manages. I'm taking a shot at going 2 vessel as well. On the fermentation side, I use an Arduino Uno to manage my fermentation chamber as well as my keg cooler; it also performs temperature logging around the house via 1-wire sensors.

Future
I'll be switching my setup to full electric. I have an Arduino Mega and Ethernet shield that I'm starting to build on the side while the Brewtroller allows me to brew.

Things that I'd like to achieve:
* Logging of entire brew day and fermentation cycle
* Fully managed via web interface
* BeerXML recipe import
* Volume sensing via a method other than the "bubbler method"

Right now, I'm in the process of finishing up an electric build using an Automation Direct DL-06 PLC as the brains behind the automation.

Here is the Main Display - the RTDs aren't connected so the PLC sets the value to the Upper Burnout Default.

LPBMain.jpg

Each control loop has it's own Detail Display. Right now, all I have on them is the ability to set Alarm limits on the Process Variable and to enable/disable them. Eventually it will have Rate of Change Alarms and tuning parameters on there also.
LoopDetails.jpg

Mine has a hybrid mix of C-100 PID's, Picaxe 40X2 for logic, SSR's for high volts switching driven by FET's from the Picaxe 40 pin. Ultimately I would like to get to a point of 80% + automatic, but till then I am adding the controls in layers as I learn enough and can save enough coin to do it. This morning was expensive on Ebay and Sparkfun. Gotta behave for a while now or SWMBO may smother me in my sleep.
WCB

I'm not automated right now. My current system is basically a clone of jkarp's countertop brutus. I'm planning going fully automated by the end of this year and slowly gathering the parts/equipment that I need and putting it together as time and money allow. I'm still flipflopping between BCS vs. brewtroller but currently leaning towards brewtroller.

My gas fired brewery is controlled by an Automation Direct PLC 06 with Ethernet connection, PIDs as backup and remote temp sensors only.
Keg washer is controlled with an Automation Direct PLC 05
Keg and bottle filler are controlled with Siemens Logo.

Brewing_Brain2.jpg

SwitchesFrontView.jpg

100_0045.jpg

100_1596.jpg

Control panel display

Mash_Tun_1or2.jpg

Remote display

100_5623.jpg

One of the PIDs. backup and remote temp sensor only

Temp_Controller_Mash2.jpg

Glycol chiller controller

ChillerTempControl.jpg

PIDs and Siemens fermentation controller

Fermentation.jpg

100_0289.jpg

100_0277.jpg

Work in progress.
Automation Direct PLC 06 with Ethernet
Automatic grain processing and dispensing system.
Controls grain conveyors, silos and grain mill.

InsideView-May.jpg

Enclosure_Door.jpg

Panel display

100_0807.jpg

Power line Ethernet connection required, controller is outside

PowerLine-Ethernet.jpg

5L keg filler with Siemens Logo

5LKegfiller2.jpg

5LKegfiller_Filling_Message.jpg

5LKegfiller_Capping_Message.jpg

Bottle filler with Siemens Logo
Bottle-Filler03.jpg

2Bottels_Filler_Heads11.jpg

100_5124.jpg

Push_Buttons.jpg

Still under construction
Cornie keg washer with Automation Direct PLC 05

100_2175.jpg

Front11.jpg

Well I just got my BT3.3 today. Bough it off an old user but it was never used and will fit my needs.

ClaudiusB,
What connectors are you using on the exterior of your box. It is the first pic in your series and has the mash 1-2 at the top. It looks very neat and well sealed when not in use. If you could recomend the supplier that would be great too. Thanks!!!
WCB

Went the lazy mans way and bought a spiedel braumeister. Going to build something for removal of the malt pipe when mash is done and a auto hop dropper using a spare pid my friend got from his job. If I can automate the grain addition and cooling somehow I could fill it with water, hit a button and walk away for a few hours :)

Wondering if in the future I can remove the pid from the braumeister to use it on a larger scale system.

Things that I'd like to achieve:
* Logging of entire brew day and fermentation cycle
* Fully managed via web interface
* BeerXML recipe import
* Volume sensing via a method other than the "bubbler method"

I'm just at the beginning of this automation process, but I'm with you on the wish list. I'm a developer so running all this via web/mobile app makes perfect sense to me.

The electronics are very intimidating, presently. However, I'm learning arduino and it's very intuitive and fun.

ClaudiusB,
What connectors are you using on the exterior of your box. It is the first pic in your series and has the mash 1-2 at the top. It looks very neat and well sealed when not in use. If you could recomend the supplier that would be great too. Thanks!!!
WCB

Strain relief, similar to the one from Grainger.
Depending on the manufacturer the insert comes with round or oval grommet, split or solid.
I prefer the plastic versions over metal.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/st...log/N-8fq?Ndr=basedimid10071&sst=subset&xi=xi

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

BCS. Going to begin working on my own user interface, but I like the ease of setting it up.
7004813582_a00da22581.jpg

6726480403_916115f414.jpg

My gas fired brewery is controlled by an Automation Direct PLC 06 with Ethernet connection, PIDs as backup and remote temp sensors only.
Keg washer is controlled with an Automation Direct PLC 05
Keg and bottle filler are controlled with Siemens Logo.

WOW! is all this home/hobby or nano?

I just ordered the Blichmann TOWER of POWER control system. I talked to
John Blichmann at the National Homebrewers Conference in Seattle. Has anybody brewed with this system?

I am working on building Brewtroller 4 about 8 months in to my build. I hope to be up and running in the next 2 weeks.

2012-09-23_12-53-46_289.jpg

2012-03-16_11-26-31_798.jpg

2012-03-17_16-55-39_527.jpg

I got them from "Stout Tanks and Kettles – Conical Fermenters". They are very nice and are willing to work with you and the kettles are very well made. The bad thing is on custom orders like mine it was a three month wait time. I think it was worth the wait just for the tri clamp set up for the heat sticks easy to remove and clean.

http://conical-fermenter.com/

2012-09-30_13-02-36_284.jpg

2012-09-30_13-02-24_59.jpg

2012-09-30_13-03-07_239.jpg

2012-09-30_13-03-42_234.jpg

Past
Modest Propane Brewstand
3 tap Coffin Keezer

Present
I'm working on moving to all electric on the current brewery.

Building a new fermentation chamber.

But most exciting,
I'm developing an SOA centered Brew Station with a high resolution smart phone sized touch screen for at station control. Also developing desktop software which remotes to the controller. Using the Gadgeteering library and .NET Micro Framework and FEZ Spider Microcontroller.

Whenever I am looking for ideas on automating my home brewing process your name pops up in the forum!

It appears you have taken the home brewing hobby to a whole new level. I am contacting you because I noticed you use a Siemens LOGO for some of the process. My work field uses those but the programs are already written. I am new to the PLC programming but familiar with the Siemens LOGO, S7300 and using LOGOsoft and Step 7.

I am curious if you are willing to share any of your programs associated with the chilling and fermenting processes. I could most likely figure it out with time but if you would be willing to share or point me in the right direction on brewing specific logic programming literature it would be appreciated.

John

This was really directed at Claudius but anyone else who wants to help I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back