Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Standalone, Plug and Play Raspberry Pi Headless Brewstand Controller-Server

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #81
Vebra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

So a little bit of progress as to where I'm at with this with a little help from helibrewer.

I'm currently working on cleaning up the code to make it a little more friendly on the eyes before I post it here.

I decided to go with the one wire interface directly with the Pi. If you use the Occidentalis distribution it's already built into the kernel and works perfectly. No need to buy a usb interface for it. It really is plug and play.

I have two DS18b20's hooked into GPiO pin 4. I have a python script that as of right now is on a cron job to update every second, but I'm probably going to make it a system service instead. So every second it reads the two temperature sensors, formats the data into Fahrenheit and inserts it into a MySQL database.

I have a standalone php script that pulls the data from the MySQL server and saves it to a JSON variable for use in the main page.

On the main page I have two temperature gauges, one for mash tun and one for the brew kettle. I use jQuery and Ajax to pull the temperature data from the PHP script in real time and insert the temperatures into a hidden <DIV> tag.

From there I have a javascript section that pulls that data from the hidden DIV tag and update the gauge accordingly.

It sounds like there is a lot going on at once and that it wouldn't work well, but as soon as the data is updated from the sensor into MySQL the gauge changes instantly and updates in real time with current temperature.

I'm currently working with the webiopi to control the heating element and the pump. I have 4 buttons currently setup on the page. 1 for manual on and off control of the heating element, and one for the pump. There is an input where I can put my desired mash temp, and hit Start Mash, the script will loop until the temperature of the brew kettle reaches the temperature I set in the input, sound an alarm and turn the heating element off. The last button is a Boil button. The boil button will turn the heating element on, and only stay on when the wort is below a boil temperature. Hit the button again and the boil stops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #82
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vebra View Post
So a little bit of progress as to where I'm at with this with a little help from helibrewer.

I'm currently working on cleaning up the code to make it a little more friendly on the eyes before I post it here.
Looking forward to see what you have!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #83
Genetics
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vebra View Post

I decided to go with the one wire interface directly with the Pi. If you use the Occidentalis distribution it's already built into the kernel and works perfectly. No need to buy a usb interface for it. It really is plug and play.

I have two DS18b20's hooked into GPiO pin 4. I have a python script that as of right now is on a cron job to update every second, but I'm probably going to make it a system service instead. So every second it reads the two temperature sensors, formats the data into Fahrenheit and inserts it into a MySQL database.

I have a standalone php script that pulls the data from the MySQL server and saves it to a JSON variable for use in the main page.

On the main page I have two temperature gauges, one for mash tun and one for the brew kettle. I use jQuery and Ajax to pull the temperature data from the PHP script in real time and insert the temperatures into a hidden <DIV> tag.

From there I have a javascript section that pulls that data from the hidden DIV tag and update the gauge accordingly.

It sounds like there is a lot going on at once and that it wouldn't work well, but as soon as the data is updated from the sensor into MySQL the gauge changes instantly and updates in real time with current temperature.

I'm currently working with the webiopi to control the heating element and the pump. I have 4 buttons currently setup on the page. 1 for manual on and off control of the heating element, and one for the pump. There is an input where I can put my desired mash temp, and hit Start Mash, the script will loop until the temperature of the brew kettle reaches the temperature I set in the input, sound an alarm and turn the heating element off. The last button is a Boil button. The boil button will turn the heating element on, and only stay on when the wort is below a boil temperature. Hit the button again and the boil stops.
This is pretty much what I'm looking to build. A Pi controlled BIAB. I can't wait to see the progress on this one.

Primary: White Ale
Primary: Honey Brown Ale
Bottled: 71st St. Wheat
Kegged: Christmas Ale

Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 AM   #84
Vebra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've been a little caught up at work the last week. I should have everything all finished by this weekend, considering I'm hoping to brew this weekend.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #85
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vebra
I've been a little caught up at work the last week. I should have everything all finished by this weekend, considering I'm hoping to brew this weekend.
I cheated and got a BrewTroller but I am continuing on this project also

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #86
Vebra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I cheated and got a BrewTroller but I am continuing on this project also
You're a horrible human being.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #87
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vebra

You're a horrible human being.
I know, but it works real nice and is open source so there is a lot of good code to reference.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #88
Vebra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I wasn't under the impression that working was a requirement of this endeavor.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #89
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Hey y'all
I'm just enamored. I'm going to get started on this and try to follow along. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and have some Python experience, so hopefully I won't get too far underwater. But I digress, I actually have a question for you.

Brewman!, you mentioned that you're using this relay board to control your burners and pumps. Can that thing handle the 240V of a standard water heater element? I know you're going to be using gas in your system, but I guess I'll be doing an e-RPi-HERMS. I know some of the non-automated electrical systems use big, expensive SSRs for controlling elements. If this works, it would drastically reduce the cost of an automated electric system. If this is a dumb question, feel free to say so.

Awesome discussion, and Cheers!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #90
John8675309
Recipes 

Hey everyone I just stumbled on this post. I have been working on my own setup for automating the hlt and fermenters in my fermentation chamber. I have built this project: http://code.google.com/p/beerwatch-temp/ . In the git download I have screen shots of my setup (or the start of it) if you put a probe in the crushed grain and your hlt put a target temp the system will calculate the mash temp and fire the 110 volt relay to turn on the bucket warmer. I used this temp probe https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050? So far everything works great. I am not yet fully automated but this is a start for me. If you download my project make sure you read the docs lots of useful info in them as to the gpio pins and the database setup.

Quick Reply