The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Standalone, Plug and Play Raspberry Pi Headless Brewstand Controller-Server

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #41
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Brewman !, if you have a chance, I have a bunch of questions about your equipment. Also, I think a component/hardware/equipment list would be handy.

What is your brewing setup (Herms, rims, direct fire?)

How many burners/pumps will you be controlling? Will you be using ON/OFF gas solenoid valves or variable output? Natural gas or LP?

Will you use a (SS or mechanical) relay expansion board?
Will you be mounting your electronics to your brewstand?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to think ahead. I have done loads of low voltage automation with python, but something about flames, connecting to the mains...all while drinking, scares me.

Thanks for your time.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Bigdaddyale Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
Brewman !, if you have a chance, I have a bunch of questions about your equipment. Also, I think a component/hardware/equipment list would be handy.
RPi
4 GB SD card
USB Wifi adapter
USB One Wire adapter
GPIO relay board, not USB

Quote:
What is your brewing setup (Herms, rims, direct fire?)
See here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/birt...-build-368010/

3 kettles + 1 on demand hot water heater.

The kettles are a dedicated direct fire mash tun + 2 boil kettles, each with their own pump.

Quote:
How many burners
3 plus possibly the on demand hot water heater.

Quote:
pumps will you be controlling?

Quote:
Will you be using ON/OFF gas solenoid valves or variable output?
On/Off, using real gas control valves, NOT SOLENOIDS.

Quote:
Natural gas or LP?
NG, but it would be the same thing for LP.

Quote:
Will you use a (SS or mechanical) relay expansion board?
My relay board has 8 mechanical relays on it, 10A each.

Quote:
Will you be mounting your electronics to your brewstand?
Yes. Everything goes under the cover on the lower shelf. The cover flips up for easy access. I thought this to be the most unobtrusive place, mostly shielded from water and away from heat.

Quote:
I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to think ahead.
There is never any such thing as a dumb question, except one that is asked too late.

Quote:
I have done loads of low voltage automation with python, but something about flames, connecting to the mains...all while drinking, scares me.
Worst thing that happens is that a burner stays on when it shouldn't. The gas control valves make it explosion proof. No pilot = no gas = no boom.

Quote:
Thanks for your time.
I'm only too happy to give back.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #43
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am having a little trouble understanding the temperature sensors you guys are using... Do they attach with some sort of thermowell or something?

Why not look into something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Laptop-US...709#vi-content

Edit: Or maybe using an RTD sensor, wiring one of the wires to the data+, the other to the data- from a cut up USB cord?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #44
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBrewer View Post
I am having a little trouble understanding the temperature sensors you guys are using... Do they attach with some sort of thermowell or something?
Nope... err... they will.

The DS18S20 comes in several packages. I am using the TO92ish package, which looks like a little transistor, if you are familiar with them.

They have 3 leads, 5V, GND and data. You can steal power from the data bus only run 2 wires to them if you need to.

I'll be embedding my sensors into pieces of thin wall SS or copper tubing using epoxy and then immersing them into whatever liquid needs measuring. I might install them into various places in a waterproof (wort proof) manner using a compression fitting over the tubing.

I don't like how some people set up "thermowells" as there is a lot of thermal mass between the sensor and the liquid.

I might use copper tubing over SS for better thermal conductivity. If one can reduce the temperature reading lag time enough, one can probably do without a PID control system and use a simple bang bang algorithm. (Insert hopeful look here.)

Digikey.com and other vendors have datasheets for these devices which include mechanical drawings near the end.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #45
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
I might use copper tubing over SS for better thermal conductivity. If one can reduce the temperature reading lag time enough, one can probably do without a PID control system and use a simple bang bang algorithm. (Insert hopeful look here.)

Digikey.com and other vendors have datasheets for these devices which include mechanical drawings near the end.
Gotcha. I just already am working on a PID setup using RTD sensors, which are nice because they're waterproof and have NPT threads and such. I am trying to teach myself about all this stuff but I am having some trouble understanding all the hardware. I'll be following the thread though, hopefully I can make sense of it all and contribute

Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #46
brewman !
Recipes 

Its pretty simple once you see how its done. Stay tuned.

BoxBrewer Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #47
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ok, so I have my raspi running with VNC, Apache2, php5, FTP, SSH, MySQL, and MyPhpAdmin. I have also connected my Arduino 2650 via usb (dev/ttyACM0).

My relay board has not arrived yet. One wire is running on the raspi but I have not connected any sensors yet to test. Once I get the sensors communicating I will start working on the web interface.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #48
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Ok, so I have my raspi running with VNC, Apache2, php5, FTP, SSH, MySQL, and MyPhpAdmin. I have also connected my Arduino 2650 via usb (dev/ttyACM0).

My relay board has not arrived yet. One wire is running on the raspi but I have not connected any sensors yet to test. Once I get the sensors communicating I will start working on the web interface.
Do you need Apache if you use pyWeb ?

I think it would be helpful for everyone to be on the same page as far as the data flow and tools/stack used from raw sensor data though to the web page being served. Otherwise we are going to get a whole mix of technologies and approaches.

Lets assume that everyone agrees to use OWFS. What is your data flow from there to where the data for a sensor is displayed on a web page ?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #49
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
Do you need Apache if you use pyWeb ?

I think it would be helpful for everyone to be on the same page as far as the data flow and tools/stack used from raw sensor data though to the web page being served. Otherwise we are going to get a whole mix of technologies and approaches.

Lets assume that everyone agrees to use OWFS. What is your data flow from there to where the data for a sensor is displayed on a web page ?
I may have missed it but I didn't see pyWeb mentioned anywhere in the thread. Seems programming using pyWeb would allow for interaction without a web server but I'm not sure I want to completely bypass the server option. I'll take a look at OWFS for sensor interface.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #50
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I may have missed it but I didn't see pyWeb mentioned anywhere in the thread.
It probably wasn't. And I'm not 100% sure what it will and won't do.

Quote:
Seems programming using pyWeb would allow for interaction without a web server but I'm not sure I want to completely bypass the server option.
I'm not 100% sure either, but setting up Apache seems like a lot of overhead for such a simple function.

Quote:
I'll take a look at OWFS for sensor interface.
Keep us informed.

Quick Reply