Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Standalone, Plug and Play Raspberry Pi Headless Brewstand Controller-Server

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #101
wdevauld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneal View Post
bornholtz,

Below is the wiring diagram for multiple DS18B20's. With the onewire sensors, you can run 3 wires and insert a sensor wherever along the length and then continue the wires to the next sensor. If you are using a breadboard to prototype, you can just plug in an additional sensor in the same rows as the first sensor and modify your code to scan multiples to test.

Hope that clears things up a little.
According to the datasheet you can (or should) wire pin three to +5V so the sensors do not have to run in parasitic power mode. I've experimented with my bank of sensors (6 of them) and I can poll about 20x faster with this setup.

What bneal said is correct, I just wanted to point out that you can wire the sensors up differently to get more performance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #102
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdevauld View Post
According to the datasheet you can (or should) wire pin three to +5V so the sensors do not have to run in parasitic power mode. I've experimented with my bank of sensors (6 of them) and I can poll about 20x faster with this setup.

What bneal said is correct, I just wanted to point out that you can wire the sensors up differently to get more performance.
Absolutely correct, unless you have a compelling reason not to, powered mode is an order of magnitude better choice than parasitic mode.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #103
craigmw
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is the advantage of using the GPIO pins as opposed to controlling all I/O through the One-Wire bus? As I'm thinking about the philosophy of this project, would it make sense to use some DS2408 chips for control of relays/SSRs, etc? A single DS2408 provides for 8 channels of digital I/O. If using a USB One-Wire adapter, all I/O would plug into the RPi by a single connector. Since the design already includes One-Wire temp sensors, this might be a way to go.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #104
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmw View Post
What is the advantage of using the GPIO pins as opposed to controlling all I/O through the One-Wire bus? As I'm thinking about the philosophy of this project, would it make sense to use some DS2408 chips for control of relays/SSRs, etc? A single DS2408 provides for 8 channels of digital I/O. If using a USB One-Wire adapter, all I/O would plug into the RPi by a single connector. Since the design already includes One-Wire temp sensors, this might be a way to go.
According to the datasheet, the combined sink capability of the chip is only 20ma, not very much if you're trying to run eight devices.

My project uses the DS2406+ digital switch, which works just fine on the 1-wire mini-lan. I'm also testing the DS2413.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #105
craigmw
Recipes 

I figured it would not sink that much current, but didn't realize it was THAT low.

But, it would be possible to boost current capacity with a single transistor and a 10K pull up resistor, so it would require a little bit of additional wiring but keep all the process control I/O on the One-Wire bus. For a pre-built method, HobbyBoards offers this (though kind of expensive for what it does):

http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/pr...ersion%29.html

Or, as you have shown on your site, use the DS2406 to drive SSRs. Do these sink enough current to drive relays?

Again, in the spirit of what the OP is proposing, the DS2406 (or DS2408) seems like a reasonable plug and play approach to controlling pumps, heating elements, gas solenoids, etc. and has the advantage that along with the temp sensors, can exist on a single 3-wire bus.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #106
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
I figured it would not sink that much current, but didn't realize it was THAT low.

But, it would be possible to boost current capacity with a single transistor and a 10K pull up resistor, so it would require a little bit of additional wiring but keep all the process control I/O on the One-Wire bus. For a pre-built method, HobbyBoards offers this (though kind of expensive for what it does):

http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/pr...ersion%29.html

Or, as you have shown on your site, use the DS2406 to drive SSRs. Do these sink enough current to drive relays?

Again, in the spirit of what the OP is proposing, the DS2406 (or DS2408) seems like a reasonable plug and play approach to controlling pumps, heating elements, gas solenoids, etc. and has the advantage that along with the temp sensors, can exist on a single 3-wire bus.
I would proably use the DS2406 to drive a darlington to drive a relay.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #107
craigmw
Recipes 

I agree with the DS2406. BTW, great work on the Teensy Pi. You have provided great inspiration and a great way to utilize an RPi for various homebrewing applications. Kudos!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #108
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
I agree with the DS2406. BTW, great work on the Teensy Pi. You have provided great inspiration and a great way to utilize an RPi for various homebrewing applications. Kudos!
Aw shucks

In addition to Brewery Control, I've had a few other suggestions for its use like avian brooder control, controlling mutiple aquariums / terrariums, and one guy is thinking about using it to monitor / control hot water radiant heaters in the rooms of his house.

Ya just gotta think outside the box.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #109
WhtHawk
Recipes 

subed.

This is great stuff.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #110
craigmw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
Aw shucks

In addition to Brewery Control, I've had a few other suggestions for its use like avian brooder control, controlling mutiple aquariums / terrariums, and one guy is thinking about using it to monitor / control hot water radiant heaters in the rooms of his house.

Ya just gotta think outside the box.
Indeed. I may put this to use for a chemical dosing system for our swimming pool. It would be nice for my system to keep track of pH and ORP over time, and then dose in chlorine or muriatic acid. But, that will have to wait as I focus on brewing stuff for the mean while!

Quick Reply