Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Source Code Sharing for Raspberry, Beaglebone, and Arduino?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
RickH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_hubbard View Post
Not much variety over here unfortunately, San Miguel has a monopoly on the market. Their best beer is red horse, 6.9% strong lager, it's OK. Nobody home brews over here unfortunately which was actually surprising to me, you'd think in a developing country they would find ways to make their beer cheaper. Perhaps I just need to search around more.

If I understand this correctly, you would have your own set of objects each doing their own tasks (boil, wait, chill, transfer etc). Then you can organize these objects into a flow. And maybe from there, create a customized flow for each kind of beer you're brewing and save them as recipes. Is that correct?

I'll have to read up on what a HERMS setup is. I hate to admit, but I am actually a bit of a noob when it comes to the all-grain brewing process.
You are correct on each object with its own task, then they get organized into a specific flow. With HERMS its more about creating additional modules so that dfferent styles of brewing can be accommodated. That was all I was thinking of there. Different input, values for it to meet, and relay for it to turn on(such as a pump). Wanting to slowly accommodate all brewing styles.

And that sucks about beer choices. I wonder if it is a little more underground there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH View Post
You are correct on each object with its own task, then they get organized into a specific flow. With HERMS its more about creating additional modules so that dfferent styles of brewing can be accommodated. That was all I was thinking of there. Different input, values for it to meet, and relay for it to turn on(such as a pump). Wanting to slowly accommodate all brewing styles.

And that sucks about beer choices. I wonder if it is a little more underground there?
Oh ok cool. So that can certainly be done, the web interface part. Easiest way I've found to communicate with the beaglebone through the web is by use a mySQL database. The web interface will update the mySQL database and then the beaglebone will poll the database on regular intervals to check for updated entries, and if there is one then it will perform an action depending on the updated entry. That way you don't have to connect directly to the bone.

The part that may be an issue from setup to setup is the actual controlling of external devices such as your boiler, chiller etc. That all depends on what type of interface your boiler and chiller use.

For example the power supply I used for my setup contained a PS_ON switch. I had to make sure to ground the power supply to my beaglebone and tie the PS_ON pin to a GPIO pin on the board. When I wanted to turn on the power supply I would force the GPIO pin low (PS_ON is active low) and I'd force it high to turn it off. I can imagine a boiler/chiller would be much tougher, but if it has some kind of digital interface it may be easier than I'm thinking now.

I'll try and think of some way to make it universal so that a wide variety of different pieces of equipment can be used with the beaglebone software, it may just have to be up to the user to get the interface between their equipment and beaglebone working though.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH View Post
I sure hope so and I hope I can find it. I've heard in the low lands they brew wine from coconuts at least, I'll have to get my hands on some. They actually just sell it as vinegar in the supermarket when it gets old haha.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quick update on my osPID arduino shield. I have built a prototype (~$15) and the basic firmware is done so it works as a standalone. Now I am tweaking the serial interface so that you can control the PID on your laptop while graphing in real time. Should have it all finished by the end of next week.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not that this is a big update but I got my BBB and all the stuff so I can make it work. Next step is getting a handle on working with the GPIO connections. I am trying to figure out what thermometers work with it. Also since its more common with robotics I have a 4 port relay module. What I plan on is first making sure I can do command line based commands to turn on and off the relays. Then get temp readings from the temp sensor. Once this is complete I will work on each module. First will be a manual heating module so it can be put in a basic on and off manual mode, then Heating modules, cooling modules, etc. The biggest thing will be getting it to read all variables from a mysql database as I have done very little with mysql queries. Once some of these basic modules are finished I will start the web interface. My plan is to have a very basic design for programming out the brew day. It will be like a lot of modern software has. On the left you will have a list of "Modules" like "Heat to temp" or "Heat to temp and keep temp for specified time". Obviously shorter names but you get the idea. Alarm options, etc. This has a type of sound card so it can be made to scream as an alarm or activate a relay. But you will be able to copy each item from the list on the left, to the right side which is your brew day. Click each one on the right and hit the edit button. Set variables which will write to mysql. Also want a backup feature in the end. Lots of ideas. Lots. Slowly going to learn the programming.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any sensor that puts out a voltage reading you can use. You just use the BBB's ADC to convert it to the actual temp.

This is what I used:
http://www.atlas-scientific.com/prod...s/env-tmp.html

As for the web interface, do you know any HTML? You will have to learn PHP/mySQL in order to do the functional stuff, but HTML to do the layout. Perhaps I can help you with that, will try to find some time this week and put together a rough layout. Can't promise anything though.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No worries. And its all going to be a learning curve as I had learned a little of each but hadn't used any of it so long that I might as well be starting from scratch. I am starting to wonder in the end if I am going to need a seperate 5power source to be able to run enough temp sensors and outputs for the relays. Need to look up the specs on it and what the max output at the board is to know what the limitation is there. Having it separate isn't a big deal. Just want to iron out those small things before starting. I plan to pick up two of those sensors when I can afford it so I will have it for my own rig and for testing.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will at least need this for the BBB:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/276

The following I'm saying cause I don't know how much electrical stuff you know, don't mean to insult. Also for anyone else looking at this thread.

When thinking about power supplies, make sure to read up on all the power requirements of course for whatever you're connecting. Sensors "SHOULD" not require much power at all. P(power)=I(current)*V(voltage). Normally you only want to pay attention to current consumption unless your voltage requirements are very high. If you look at the BBB System Reference Manual, the max consumption when DC is plugged in is ~350mA. So if you have a 2A supply that still gives you 1650mA to work with. Now, as for the temperature sensor if you look at it's datasheet it can operate as low as 6uA! So even after one sensor you pretty much still have 1650mA to work with. So you can pretty much add as many sensors as you have ADC pins for.

As for GPIO, those shouldn't consume much current either especially if you use a pullup resistor. Let's say you put a 10kohm resistor in series with the GPIO pin, GPIO puts out 3.3V or 0V. V(voltage)=I(current)*R(resistance) so you would only be consuming 0.33mA when your GPIO is high.

So, in conclusion. If you stick to just sensors and GPIO, the BBB will be plenty. Now if you start having to power water pumps, heat exchangers, fridges themselves etc....then that's where you'll want to start investigating into bigger PSUs.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well I would expect all of those will be programmed to work with the temp sensors and different 4/8/16 relay boards. The relay board should be able to be wired to a 12v source for my gas valves or to a SSR to control a 240v connection to a coil or pump. Atleast that was my initial planning. I am new at this so please let me know if I might be heading in the wrong direction. I was looking to it to read temp sensors and turn on basic smaller relays like http://www.sainsmart.com/8-channel-d...ttl-logic.html the listed 8 relay or two of them if needed. You get the idea. That relay can be connected to a power source capable of activating a relay more suited for the situation if it is not.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

And no insult taken. This is both for new and old. My skill set is following instructions to make raspberry pi and pi face use a web interface to turn on and off relay. I did not program it but I can kind of understand it. I am still doing my best to lay it all out and what can be needed and how to integrate, I do not see it being a big deal. I see this as a reason for BCS to step up their game now. Make android products and more configurable ones. We are coming. Not as fast as I want, but coming. And we will be open for anyone that owns a BBB or wants to port this to something else. I love sharing what I make. I turned a $13 propane burner into a natural gas one a few days ago, This unit will control it soon enough. I am sure if that.

Quick Reply