Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Source Code Sharing for Raspberry, Beaglebone, and Arduino?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
RickH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Source Code Sharing for Raspberry, Beaglebone, and Arduino?

Ok, So I have seen a number of threads with people talking about using Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and and Beaglebone Black for different brewing. I haven't seen much of any source code on them? Wondering if anyone is willing to share, maybe start a thread dedicated to each even. Looking at a price and total capability standpoint I would LOVE to do something with the Beaglebone Black since its cheap and seems like it has the most bang for the buck. I am hoping to get the person who works for TI to share his source code for the controlling his ferm temps and expand it out to something more. I would love to see something that could compete with the commercial solutions opensource here. That way they have to really add the features to compete. I am not a programmer but can understand the concepts but need to brush up on my programming languages and when I do so I plan to put it all out there. So anyone?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
muhteeus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Great idea RickH. I have personally posted my PLC logic for my brewsystem, along with detailed documentation, and encourage others to post their source code.

It's all about community and brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Get your repositories up on Github folks.

I have very nearly finished the firmware for an open source Arduino PID controller shield. Details to follow once I have thoroughly tested the thing!

blakelyc Likes This 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Already an awesome start. I know we can keep this compiled and going well. All of the homebrewing and DIY is just another type of "opensource" in itself. In my work we actually use a number of opensource projects. I have two Raspberry PI's, a PiFace board, and a 4 relay board that I interfaced with it. After seeing the price and GPIO capabilities of the Beaglebone Black I decided its the best option for this. What I hope to do is really get an open source following for any of these so that we can come up with something anyone can use for a variety of purposes. But most of us are on right budgets or what is available doesn't quite meet our needs. I plan to research how its being used in robotic applications because that is the control that it will need is sensor input and relay output. The other goal is to have a easy web interface so anything can control it. Any hints or tips are ALWAYS appreciated. Once myself and a buddy can get started on this I will be posting updates and code.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Rick, Bryan Wilder from TI pointed me to this thread. I'm in the Philippines right now for work and will be here for the next 5 months or so, I apologize if I'm too responsive on this thread.

I can tell you now that my code is pretty simple when it comes to the automation part. I have a PHP script that reads in the ADC value of the temp sensor, checks that against the set temperature and evaluates if I need to turn on/off the power supply. This script is executed on a regular basis through the linux OS crontab, or when anything is set from the website. The script also regularly updates a mySQL database that is located on a server elsewhere, this is for the web interface.

I was in the works of creating a circuit to reverse the polarity of the supply voltage to the TEM so that I could both heat and cool. I had it working fairly OK but got too busy with my relocation here to the Philippines.

If you have any background in programming/linux, setting up the automation shouldn't be any problem. It's the actual apparatus that cools/heats that's the biggest obstacle. My setup worked OK, but could certainly be improved upon especially if you want to brew lagers.

I'll try to get the code organized together for you when I have a chance to. Unfortunately I had to keep all of my hardware back in the states in a storage unit, so it will be some time till I can begin working on it again. But I'll be happy to help out the community to come up with an affordable automation system using the BBB.

People will argue that the BBB is overkill for automation, and I agree if that's all you want to do is automation. If you want to have a nice web interface, easy wi-fi setup and possibly even spit out a linux GUI to a small monitor, BBB is plenty capable of doing that while arduino is certainly not (not sure about raspberry pi when it comes to linux GUI output).

Cheers
-Trevor Hubbard

Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Should point out, my comment on that apparatus to heat/cool is disregarding just getting a fridge of course =). I was trying to create something that didn't take up much space and could heat AND cool.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
BeWilder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great to hear from you Trevor. Any good beers over in the Philippines?

Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. ~ Proverbs 4:7

Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Trevor I would first like to say its an honor to finally get to talk. And I am forever grateful to Bryan for making this happen.

I do agree it can be overkill but my main concern is expandability really. I would like this to be able to run a web interface that you could drag&drop events into. Such as a webpage where you have a box and in it you drop your events.
So say I drop in order the following.
[HEAT(165*), WAIT(30 Min),Boil(90min),Chiller(76*)]
So HEAT is set to keep on a relay unit that temp is met. Then Wait is just a timeout. Boil activates burner relay and a timer once 200* is met. It times 90 from the point that the water hits its temp. I hope you get where I am going with this. Most of what we do are the same steps, in a certain order. My endgame is to find a really userfriendly way to control it all. The variables and checks can be cronjobs in the background, but I want people to just see the pretty web interface most of the time. Since you have an understanding of this better than us. Should we be trying to just use the existing modules and write scripts to just look at the GPIO variables? Maybe make a little web interface to give it a visual at first and go from there?

I hope I am expressing this as best as possible.

Thanks,

Rick Hobson

Old 10-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh, and in the beginning when I was saying expandability I want to run a Natural gas Brew in a bag setup. I want this to also be able to control a HERMS setup, or any other for that matter. It to be able to see ferm temps, etc. I like the idea of too much vs too little. And the Modules I spoke of (HEAT,WAIT,Boil,Chiller) would all be clickable and have specific variables that can be set for each before starting it. Then it runs module by module.(in the future more than one at once so it can robotically drop in and pull out Hops)

Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #10
t_hubbard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeWilder View Post
Great to hear from you Trevor. Any good beers over in the Philippines?
Not much variety over here unfortunately, San Miguel has a monopoly on the market. Their best beer is red horse, 6.9% strong lager, it's OK. Nobody home brews over here unfortunately which was actually surprising to me, you'd think in a developing country they would find ways to make their beer cheaper. Perhaps I just need to search around more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH View Post
Trevor I would first like to say its an honor to finally get to talk. And I am forever grateful to Bryan for making this happen.

I do agree it can be overkill but my main concern is expandability really. I would like this to be able to run a web interface that you could drag&drop events into. Such as a webpage where you have a box and in it you drop your events.
So say I drop in order the following.
[HEAT(165*), WAIT(30 Min),Boil(90min),Chiller(76*)]
So HEAT is set to keep on a relay unit that temp is met. Then Wait is just a timeout. Boil activates burner relay and a timer once 200* is met. It times 90 from the point that the water hits its temp. I hope you get where I am going with this. Most of what we do are the same steps, in a certain order. My endgame is to find a really userfriendly way to control it all. The variables and checks can be cronjobs in the background, but I want people to just see the pretty web interface most of the time. Since you have an understanding of this better than us. Should we be trying to just use the existing modules and write scripts to just look at the GPIO variables? Maybe make a little web interface to give it a visual at first and go from there?

I hope I am expressing this as best as possible.

Thanks,

Rick Hobson
If I understand this correctly, you would have your own set of objects each doing their own tasks (boil, wait, chill, transfer etc). Then you can organize these objects into a flow. And maybe from there, create a customized flow for each kind of beer you're brewing and save them as recipes. Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH View Post
Oh, and in the beginning when I was saying expandability I want to run a Natural gas Brew in a bag setup. I want this to also be able to control a HERMS setup, or any other for that matter. It to be able to see ferm temps, etc. I like the idea of too much vs too little. And the Modules I spoke of (HEAT,WAIT,Boil,Chiller) would all be clickable and have specific variables that can be set for each before starting it. Then it runs module by module.(in the future more than one at once so it can robotically drop in and pull out Hops)
I'll have to read up on what a HERMS setup is. I hate to admit, but I am actually a bit of a noob when it comes to the all-grain brewing process.

Quick Reply