HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Software to control brewing process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
btbonser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Software to control brewing process

I see a lot of threads about people automating their brewing process by building control panels that use switches and temp controllers to turn burners/heating elements on and off, opening valves, monitoring temperatures, etc. Does anyone know of an inexpensive (or free) software that will run on a laptop and do the same thing?

I have searched but couldn't find anything

Thanks

Last edited by btbonser; 06-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
tator2k
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

You still need something to control the operations.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

The simplest PC interfaced platform is the BCS460, otherwise it is build your own with LabJack or other IO modules. There are freeware HMI packages out there, but you still need interface hardware to activate devices and collect readings from sensors. If you can program in Java or C# I have a library of automation software graphics and code built for my automated system that would save time and learning curve effort.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
btbonser
Recipes 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the need for hardware to activate devices, collect readings from sensors, etc. What I was looking for is something similar to the software that they use for the BCS-460 Temp Controller but installs locally on a PC. From what I can tell from the BCS website is their software is web based and for the iPhone and such.

I'm not a not a programmer so I am really looking for a Windows app with an installer. Might buy a BCS460 or somenting similar or build my own I/O module, not sure yet.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

The gotcha is that the software really *needs* to know what your hardware looks like. That makes a "no code at all" software package tough to do with an arbitrary batch of hardware. That gets you back to a pre-packaged hardware setup pretty quick.

I'd recommend learning how to do a little code and taking Kladue up on his offer of libraries...

Bob

Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
btbonser
Recipes 

Thanks Bob, that makes perfect sense!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
btbonser
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
The simplest PC interfaced platform is the BCS460, otherwise it is build your own with LabJack or other IO modules. There are freeware HMI packages out there, but you still need interface hardware to activate devices and collect readings from sensors. If you can program in Java or C# I have a library of automation software graphics and code built for my automated system that would save time and learning curve effort.
Kladue, would it be possible to get your library of automation software graphics and code? Maybe I can get some of these software engineers that I work with to help me out if I get stuuck.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

If you can hang on a bit I am working on a setup with off the shelf parts and an application to make it all work. The goal of the software is a runtime setup of hardware so no coding is needed, just enter names and ranges of sensors, pid, and on-off control settings, and click on buttons to make things happen.
What are you working towards, a typical single tier system, or something a bit more exotic so I can figure out what would be appropriate to send.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
btbonser
Recipes 

I'm in no rush, my local HBS has a complete, all manual, single tier HERMS system for $1500 (Keggels, pumps, valves chiller, etc.) that I am going to get. I am planning on taking this system and automating it as much as the budget (aka wife) will allow.

Say good bye to batch sparging in the Coleman Extreme

Last edited by btbonser; 06-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
jCOSbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

BCS460 works more like a PLC, you can program it, hit start, and have it run an automated process. The web interface can be used to monitor and control the process on a laptop, ipad, etc. but is not required. Displays and buttons on the control could also be used to control/start/stop the brewing process without a PC connected.

Quick Reply