Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane

No. You would hook this up just like any other 3 wire RTD.
I bought the auber one and will try it installed into the kettles thermowel with some thermal greasel and then install an instrument mount TC RTD I have on a T coming off the butterfly valve and then compare the response difference. If it lags too much then I will try turning the thermowell itself into a probe and be asking for help on that. But I need to finish up the control panel and pick up the kettles before I get to that testing phase. Thanks for everyone's help.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just picked up my Stout tanks stuff today and had them add an extra 1/2" NPT port with thermowell to my bettle kettle just for my Auber's RTD 2.5" long probe. I plan on packing the thermowell with thermal grease and calling it good. After all, it's just a boil kettle and I figure I don't need it to be super quick to respond. I bought tri-clover RTD probes that will be mounted in instrument tees on the mash tun and HLT outlets as I do want those touching the precious liquids for precise control.

Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale

Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
I just picked up my Stout tanks stuff today and had them add an extra 1/2" NPT port with thermowell to my bettle kettle just for my Auber's RTD 2.5" long probe. I plan on packing the thermowell with thermal grease and calling it good. After all, it's just a boil kettle and I figure I don't need it to be super quick to respond. I bought tri-clover RTD probes that will be mounted in instrument tees on the mash tun and HLT outlets as I do want those touching the precious liquids for precise control.
I might be in the same boat. Let me know how it works out. I'm holding off on buying the last two probes until I can experiment to determine response times. But I think had I simply thought about it ahead of time I would have simply had them change the thermal well for another TC port. I might end up taking it to a welder and having it done but I hate to spend the money when I could have done it so cheaply if I thought about asking John to alter that.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Aubers customer service suggested I pack the thermowell with thermal grease

I second that suggestion as a easy and cheap fix.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I took the thing apart like crane mentioned and it looks like it would be very easy to cut off the stainless probe that was welded onto the 1/2" NPT fitting from Auber and then reassemble the unit so the RTD would be exposed. I can then add some thermal grease to the Stout Tanks thermowell and get a much better contact than have to read through two layers of thermal grease and two layers of stainless. I will test before cutting anything though, Stout should be emailing any day to tell me to pick my kettles up, so until then I will sit on standby.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS