The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > RIMS Control Panel Review/Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #31
Glock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
ahhhh, open circuit.
All I can think of is a stray wire and when you removed the JB weld it moved the wire. Is it still tripping the GFCI?
I'm confused now (or have been) Don't I want the reading to be open between the hot/neutral to the ground. Otherwise it would mean current would be flowing through the ground causing the trip?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #32
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock View Post
I'm confused now (or have been) Don't I want the reading to be open between the hot/neutral to the ground. Otherwise it would mean current would be flowing through the ground causing the trip?
Sorry if I confused - yes you are right you want no continuity between hot/neutral and ground.
What I meant was maybe you had a stray wire (as in one strand of the wire not the whole thing) touching ground that you missed.
Another thing to check is making sure you don't have any transposed nuetral/ground by accident - either in the panel, although I don't expect it since you say a hairdryer works ok, or in the cord going to the RIMS element - i.e. Check the point-point continuity from the plug to the terminal screws/ground on the element and make sure the hot/neutral/ground are where you think they are.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
Glock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Check the point-point continuity from the plug to the terminal screws/ground on the element and make sure the hot/neutral/ground are where you think they are.
That is the next plan when I get home. I should get a reading of 0.9 on all of those. I already opened up the plug to make sure the wires were to the right screws but double checking isn't a bad thing. Also going to open the panel and make sure the ground hasn't come loose from the outlet to the terminal bar. After that the plan is to fill the tube with water and plug the panel into a different GFCI outlet, just to see if there is any difference. I feel that I have a grounding issue or a bad element.

Actually check that, I know the panel is fine. I have no idea if it would help but I'm almost ready to drive a earth grounding rod into the frozen tundra and connect a ground wire to that from the tube to see if it would make a difference

Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #34
Glock
Recipes 

I changed nothing. I simply filled the tube with water plugged it into the panel and allowed it to heat. No trip, no problem. Well i shouldn't say no problem the K TC hooked up to the SYL-2362 hasn't noticed the temperature increase, I'll have to research how to calibrate the PID

Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #35
Glock
Recipes 

Looks like the wiring of the probe for the thermocouple is bad. I wiggled the wire a little where it enters the panel and the temperature shot up to 140 which is what the dial thermometer read. I'm guessing the PID was reading the ambient temperature of the room that's why it was allowing the element to heat. So basically a potentially dangerous situation, so time to get the thermocouple wiring fixed.

Quick Reply