Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Raspberry Pi Temp Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #41
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Is the OP still talking to us ? We have TOTALLY ruined his thread. My apologies !

Someone want to start a new thread ?

Moderators, is there a way to prune posts from this thread into a new one ?

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #42
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
It all sounds good.

I have my Pi and I'm working on the brewstand its going on right now. My one wire device should be here in a week or so and I want to brew a beer before Christmas.

Where do we go from here ?
I'll need to take a look at how we talk to the device programmatically. I've never written anything that interfaces with hardware before, but I see a ton of github projects on this thread, so that shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Once I have handle on that, it should be pretty easy to write up a rest like api (python still seems a good option for this) and then mock up a web front end. I have a couple guys who are interested in this as well that I can bring in. I'll probably need to buy the rest of the hardware so I have something to test on, right now I just have a pi.

The cool thing about a rest api is that anyone could write their own front-end to manage any number of devices using nothing but html and javascript (or flash/actionscript/anything else that can make http requests).
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #43
brewman !
Recipes 

+1 on using Python. I'm familiar but rusty with it.

Errr.... I (cough) hate (cough) perl.

I'd like to see the web server be pyweb if possible. Would be nice not to have to set up Apache if possible.

As far as the hardware API, what if it were Linux system commands, like "getTemp sensorName" where sensorName is the unique address of an 18DS20 sensor ? If we wrote it in Python, other modules could either include the python or do a system call, plus it can be debugged on the command line.

One of the nice things about doing getTemp is that someone could come along later and modify it to do a different kind of sensor by adding a parameter to it (and code) for that sensor.

Thoughts ??????

Could we have this running in a couple weeks ? I need to brew !

Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #44
brewman !
Recipes 

Features to think about.

- a running text file for inputting notes while brewing. Preferably timestamped when burners go on off, clocks and timers are set, reset, etc. Like an automatic note taker.

- several resettable/startable/stoppable clocks with a field to input what they are for. Example: boil started clock.

- timers with alarms with a field to put in what they are for. Example: Put the hops in now, dummy.

- temperature logging to a file

- tunable PID loops for burner/heater control

I'm sure I can think of a lot more.

-

Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #45
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I mentioned pcbs only as a thought. All the better if none needed.
What I'm really saying is I'd like to see something that *anyone* can implement - without knowing any programming, and which could be made into a kit for those prepared to pay (like me) for something.
So keep my offer up your sleeves.

Also: I have just made a BCS460.

The interface is klunky for a lot of people - the interface seems very much built by an engineer for technicians. Its often very difficult to understand what is going on / where the process is at. E.g. Web Input buttons relating to past or future steps remain on the screen and are irrelevant to the current step. E.g. "Commence Sparge" and "Commence Boil" are buttons I've implemented. 'Now did I already press Commence Boil? Where am I again?'
It would be great to co-ordinate some effort on the Human Machine Interface / Web aspects up front, so that any effort aligns with this.
3 Words: Usability, Usability, Usability - for the average Joe.
With all the skills you guys have mentioned, its a great opportunity.
If someone is keen, great. Otherwise I'd be happy to field a wish list (that has already spontaneously started) and have a crack at developing a functional spec, with some sample screenshots to reflect back to all - with an eye to managing scope. (E.g. Brewtroller seems to have taken a very long time trying to be a lot of things to a lot of different brew approaches.)

Or is this a little to0 organised or just not what you're looking for in a project right now?
Cool either way.

Cheers

Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #46
tob77
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I only have the equipment for BIAB so my configuration will be different than a traditional system.

How about some sort of batch control? I was thinking of using Beersmith (I prefer open source but am currently using Beersmith on Ubuntu) for recipe creation. Then the rpi could parse the recipe file and pull out all of the necessary parameters like: strike temp, mash temp, mashout temp, mash time, boil time, hop additions & time, etc… Then the rpi could display the recipe, control the temps, and set addition timers and alarms.

@DonMagee check out jmwidgets.com. They have an example data widget that uses a REST based server: http://www.jmwidgets.com/index.php/d...hpexampledata/

Unfortunately, this is the first time that I've used python, html, jquery, or javascript so I have a lot to learn. However, I was able to hack together a working jmwidgets data widget by using their example with webpy. I ripped out all of the REST stuff as it seemed like overkill to me (way over my head).

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #47
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob77 View Post
I only have the equipment for BIAB so my configuration will be different than a traditional system.
My system has 1 MLT and 2 boil kettles. The intent of that is to be able to do a BIAB (with recirculation) while mashing and boiling another brew.

I'm not a fan of the highly automated systems. I'll open and close my valves and start and stop my pumps manually. What I want are clocks and timers and temperature control for burners.

I think that "the system" needs a "process" for each vessel. With my set up, I'd be running 3 processes at once. A mash process, a BIAB process and possibly a boil process.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #48
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
Will it handle multiple devices on the bus ? How long does it tie up the system when its communicating with devices, say getting temps from 10 or so sensors ?
It will indeed handle multiple devices. Here's the link again.

I don't have exact figures, but it seemed to me that it was slow, probably on the average of 1 sec / device. That could be because of the ancient Pentium laptop I was running, but I'm pretty sure that the laptop and RPi are probably close to par with each other. I'm also not positive that you can get fuse and owfs running on the RPi.

I moved to the Arduino in pretty short order, since at the time I was interested in simply monitoring temperatures, and accessing them via a web page. Also, I'm a C programmer from WAY back (early to mid '80's, assembly for various chips prior to that), so it was a better fit for me. The arduino libraries are rock-solid, and well documented.

I've since been playing with the 1-Wire switches and some other 1-Wire devices, and I think my current Arduino / RPi configuration is the most flexible, and makes best use of each board's strengths.. The Arduino is a far better solution for process control, and the RPi is better suited for front-end operations. The only thing I might change is trying to get the I2C interface running, which would allow me to access multiple arduinos with one RPi

At least, that's my opinion.
Cogito, ergo bibere cervisia sum

Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #49
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
I've since been playing with the 1-Wire switches and some other 1-Wire devices, and I think my current Arduino / RPi configuration is the most flexible, and makes best use of each board's strengths.. The Arduino is a far better solution for process control, and the RPi is better suited for front-end operations. The only thing I might change is trying to get the I2C interface running, which would allow me to access multiple arduinos with one RPi
Makes sense to me. RS485 another option maybe? If talking to Arduinos a little way away.

I don't have RPi but in theory you should be able to control 1wire devices via UART with minimal interfacing: http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-n...dex.mvp/id/214

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #50
brewman !
Recipes 

I think we should split this thread off into RPi + Arduino efforts for those that want that and RPi alone efforts for those that want that.

jason.mundy Likes This 

Quick Reply