Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Raspberry Pi Temp Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
On the browser side I'm using jQuery http://jquery.com/ and plugins for real time display (gauges and charts). Mouse overs on the temperature plot show time and temperature for the point highlighted.
Which gauge plugin are you using and how do you like it ?

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
tob77
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Anyone have a one wire bus working with the 18B20 temp sensors ?
Quote:
Which gauge plugin are you using and how do you like it ?
Check out steve71's github page that he has linked in the original post: https://github.com/steve71/RasPiBrew
I am starting a Raspberry Pi build myself using steve71's work as an example. His work is an excellent resource! I am going to use JMWidgets in my build for the gauge, buttons, indicators, etc. http://www.jmwidgets.com/

Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob77 View Post
Check out steve71's github page that he has linked in the original post: https://github.com/steve71/RasPiBrew
I saw that.

Quote:
I am starting a Raspberry Pi build myself using steve71's work as an example. His work is an excellent resource!
I agree.

Its funny that there are a bunch of us doing BrewPis and we are all doing them individually. Do you think we could come up with a common spec and pool our talents and efforts ?

I need the following.

- 3 PID loops and temperature indicators for controlling/monitoring 3 gas burners, inputs from 2 to 3 temp sensors per loop
- simple on/off switches for 3 pumps
- temperature data logging
- brewpi controller serving it all as a web page to local or remote host running Firefox
- my build will be based on Fedora/KDE OS install
- burner and pump control is simple on/off via USB relay board
- temp sensors are all 18S20s onto a single one wire bus

Quote:
I am going to use JMWidgets in my build for the gauge, buttons, indicators, etc. http://www.jmwidgets.com/
Nice find ! I love the dashboard gauges. Looks as good or better than a real dashboard. I love the fact its open source/ GPL.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
brewman !
Recipes 

Just in case people haven't seen this, I'll share the link
http://brewpi.com/

I don't know if this person is a member here or not.

I like what this guy did, but yet it doesn't work for me. I don't mean to knock his efforts as its innovative and great for him for sharing it.

But I don't like having the Arduino as the slave to the RPi as the hardware interface for the system. If I wanted an Arduino as the hardware interface, I'd implement the whole system on the Arduino platform. I much prefer the RPi platform when it comes to serving web pages, etc, and I'd rather implement my hardware right on the RPi and skip having 2 microcontrollers in the system.

I also don't understand having the microcontroller in these systems drive a local LCD and/or dedicated keypad.

To me the beauty of RPi is that its a full on Linux system and I can add regular PC hardware to it with almost no thought. So if I want a local display, I'll find a used HDMI monitor for $50 and wala, I have a nice big display. And if I need a keyboard, I'll find an inexpensive USB keyboard and wala, I have a means to input data.

But the real beauty to me is to run BrewPi as a headless server and interface to it with a browser on another machine. For me that will probably be a tablet, but it could also be Firefox running locally on BrewPi itself on local hardware, if I wanted it to be.

And if I really wanted a local mini LCD display, I'd use a RPi LCD shield from Adafruit and implement that and the web server interface, so that I used a browser as the setup and data logging UI and the local mini LCD as local feedback.

How are other people designing their BrewPi systems ?

jason.mundy Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
Just in case people haven't seen this, I'll share the link
http://brewpi.com/

I don't know if this person is a member here or not.

I like what this guy did, but yet it doesn't work for me. I don't mean to knock his efforts as its innovative and great for him for sharing it.

But I don't like having the Arduino as the slave to the RPi as the hardware interface for the system. If I wanted an Arduino as the hardware interface, I'd implement the whole system on the Arduino platform. I much prefer the RPi platform when it comes to serving web pages, etc, and I'd rather implement my hardware right on the RPi and skip having 2 microcontrollers in the system.

I also don't understand having the microcontroller in these systems drive a local LCD and/or dedicated keypad.

To me the beauty of RPi is that its a full on Linux system and I can add regular PC hardware to it with almost no thought. So if I want a local display, I'll find a used HDMI monitor for $50 and wala, I have a nice big display. And if I need a keyboard, I'll find an inexpensive USB keyboard and wala, I have a means to input data.

But the real beauty to me is to run BrewPi as a headless server and interface to it with a browser on another machine. For me that will probably be a tablet, but it could also be Firefox running locally on BrewPi itself on local hardware, if I wanted it to be.

And if I really wanted a local mini LCD display, I'd use a RPi LCD shield from Adafruit and implement that and the web server interface, so that I used a browser as the setup and data logging UI and the local mini LCD as local feedback.

How are other people designing their BrewPi systems ?
Couple of thoughts:

First, to serve webpages from the Arduino, you either need a ethernet shield or get a board with on-board ethernet, such as Freetronics EtherTen or EtherMega. Second, especially with the Arduino Uno, you'll rapidly run out of code and RAM space so the number and type of pages you can serve are limited. It's actually cheaper to get an Arduino and an RPi, tie them together, and let the RPi handle the internet chores.

Second, having a full-on linux system is nice, but I can tell you from experience that the 1-Wire library that uses the RPi's GPIO interface is a bit wonky, since you don't have complete control over the timing of the bit-banging required for the 1-Wire mini-lan. You mght be able to set up the RPi as described here, but I haven't tried it.

I want to be able to monitor and control multiple units that are not necessarily next to each other, so I've been playing with many different combinations. You can see some of my results at my website or here.

FYI, here is another RPi brewing project.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
brewman !
Recipes 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I totally agree that Arduinos make for limited web page servers.

Thank you for the links in your post above. I just ordered a USB one wire adapter to use on my RPi. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=271079913098

I have no affiliation with this vendor.

My apologies to the OP if I have derailed your thread. Say the word and I'll start my own.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here another RPI newcomer!

My plan is using it together with the Opentroller DX1 (Brewtroller) giving it the following tasks:

- reading from the Brewtroller HLT temp sensor the beginning of the boiling
- managing an automated hop dropper (timers and step/servos motors to drive)
- Displaying on a 10" touchscreen the Brewtroller web interface, in order to manage everything from the control panel.

Very interested in watching other experiences as well.

My toys: HERMS system Fermentation Chamber Control Panel

Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #28
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,
Firstly, I'll declare being mostly illiterate on the technical level you guys are talking - so everything is said with humility.

I'm looking to make a controller that I could eventually have built and sold to control a brewery system I'm currently prototyping. Simple unit: a recirc pump, a heating element, and chill pump under control.
Essentially I want something like the BCS, but with a less 'designed by an engineer' web interface and and interface which is tailored to the specific unit. The 'state machine' approach makes a lot of sense to me.
I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of different approaches.

So: If there was effort put to fixing up the 'wonky' one-wire library, would that make a RPI unit a good solution on its own (ie without a slave Arduino)?
Could there be a web page, with 'buttons' to allow inputs to control the process, without wires via a browser running device - be it a tablet or PC?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorg View Post
So: If there was effort put to fixing up the 'wonky' one-wire library, would that make a RPI unit a good solution on its own (ie without a slave Arduino)?
I think so, yes.

The reason the one wire setup on the RPi is wonky is because its hardware doesn't support one wire natively. There is no one wire send and receive hardware module and there is no one wire data buffer.

The one wire functionality on the RPi is achieved by "bit banging" rather than hardware, meaning that the CPU manually toggles the output pin via timed interrupts and polls the input port for a response. This can be made to work, but given that Linux isn't a real time OS, its kludgy.

The solution to that issue is to implement a one wire system using a hardware module that handles the low level one wire functionality and buffers the data as necessary. This is exactly what the USB one wire interface that I linked to above (and ordered) seems to do.

Quote:
Could there be a web page, with 'buttons' to allow inputs to control the process, without wires via a browser running device - be it a tablet or PC?
Absolutely, and it is my goal. Its called a headless (brewstand) server (controller).

Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm watching this pretty closely. I want to give it a shot. I'm a web application developer by trade so I'm interested in trying to help flesh out a strong web UI.

Quick Reply