Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Point to point or wire wrap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #31
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Be careful with the bench stock stuff. Once you get past the first level of stuff, you'll buy a lot of things you never use. I find it better to simply double up on an order for what ever I need. That way I have plenty to to complete the project and the stock of stuff I actually use builds up.

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #32
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Really want a drawer system to put parts values in order and seperate the different components properly so I can inventory and replenish at a glance easilly. Since I have been on the cheap assortment jag on Ebay I have trippled my bench stock to nearly 1000 different components of multiple values and construction specs like TO-92 and To-220 along with resisters in 1/4W 1/2W,. and 5 watt E12 series. I figure I need at least 4 of the 60 drawer cabinets already, plus a few more for the remainder of the stuff I plan to add in the future. Ultimately I want to just be able to sit down and build without ordering a bunch of parts to complete the project. I will probably have to order the main chip or logic chips, but the rest of the components will eventually come from what I have on hand. It's a huge undertaking, but I have a bit of time and enough patience to slowly accumulate enough different assortments to allow that to happen eventually. I have a 50.00 dollar monthly parts accumulation budget so I try to find the best deals I can on various assortments of basic components to expedite that happening. I can usually get three of four assortments every month to add to my bench stock, sometimes more sometimes less but it averages out around 4 pretty consistenly so far.
Wheelchair Bob
RESPECT! I don't know anything you said there...

Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #33
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

BC,
I got that. I am still working on all the basic caps, resistors, connectors and really common stuff right now. I figure it will be several months before I get to any kind of specific type of components. I always buy a few or 5 of something I need too, so I will have it the next time I mes with it or in case I melt it or damage it soldering. Keeps my stress from stupid pretty low that way. Thanks.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #34
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
BC,
...... Keeps my stress from stupid pretty low that way. Thanks.
Wheelchair Bob
Hi

Exactly right. Also reduces the stress from crazy / heroic failing efforts to resurrect a fried part.

Bob

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CB,
Ordered all the correct wire wrapping tools and correct wire to do it properly on Sunday. Since there seems to be an issue with the quality of the Radio Shack wrapping tools I bought several so I could sort through and find a good one and keep swapping out the rest till I get a set that work properly. At 3 1/2 bucks each I ordered a half dozen. Surely I will get at least one that works properly. I think the bad reviews were based on inexperience as much or more than poor quality tools. Like mentioned eralier it is very easy to pull 30 Ga apart with just a fingernail and any nicks at all would creat a weak spot, so I got some wire without insulation and some teflon tube to slide over it along with the insulated wire too. I'll let ya know how it goes with the RS stuff once it arrives. My electronics bench has been cleaned and expanded a good bit again so I have plenty of room for my big elbows and the magifying glass I have to have to see the components. It's a bitch getting "old man" eyesight. Just figured I would keep ya up on what I am up to and attempting to make happen. I do intend to solder all the wraps to make them a better electrical connection and to insure good long lasting connections through out the system. A little added insurance never hurts. My connector collection should be here today too. 2 pin to 64 pin connectors, headers, IDC and crimp style along with ribbon cable of the appropriate pitch and wire counts to employ as interconnection and basic wiring harnesses through out all of my projects. I got at least 100 of each connector in male and female with all of the required hardware and a special crimper for IDC cable. That should keep me busy for a while...
Wheelchair Bob

Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #36
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

I'm not sure that doing solder + wire wrap is the way I would have picked to go. You get most of the problems without many of the benifits. You do indeed take care of most wraps coming undone. You still likely have the issue of breaks right at the first turn of the wrap. I'm also not real sure how Kynar does with solder heat. I suspect it's fine, but I'm not sure.

30 gauge is smaller than what I've used in the past. Most of the tools I've seen have been set up for 26 or 28 gauge. I've never used the Radio Shack version, so they may be different.

Bob

Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CB, Where are you getting the larger guage wire wrap tools from? I would like to go larger than 30G, but that was all I have seen anywhere so far. Thanks.
Wheelchair Bob

Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #38
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
CB, Where are you getting the larger guage wire wrap tools from? I would like to go larger than 30G, but that was all I have seen anywhere so far. Thanks.
Wheelchair Bob
Hi

The stuff I used was made by Ingersol Rand. Most of them came by various odd routes from DEC plants. I picked up the last one in 1978 I believe...

Bob

Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #39
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll have to look at IR and see if the still make any of them still available. I would really like to fo to 26-22 Ga if I can find the correct tool. There seems to be a plethora of info on the web about old school wire wrap, but very few links or suppliers mentioned to follow up on or find. I can just go ahead and use my laser printer and make a board that way, but I would prefer to get the circuit fully functional before I burn a board and waste a bunch of time doing that. I can do a board in a few hours, once I get a proven circuit and tighten the layout up to shorten all of the runs and include all the smoothing caps and diodes in appropriate locations. Thanks for all the help and guidance on the old school style of building boards so far.
Wheelchair Bob

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #40
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

I really do think that the overnight board outfits are a pretty good option. Do your prototyping with a plug board and go to a pcb. Less cost that the whole wire wrap approach.

Bob

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS