Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Point to point or wire wrap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob
Hi

The *good* wire wrap tools are air dirven

To get a tight wrap you need to properly match the bit on the tool to the post size and the wire diameter. You also need to replace them when the go/nogo gauges say so. Yes that's all expensive to do...

Bob
Sounds like complete overkill for homebrewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Radio shack has the wrapper tool and 3 different rolls of wire for just about 20 bucks, hard to beat that price. It's the same one SFE sells for 16 bucks plus wire. Pneumatic would be fun, but way overkill for one or two boards.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Teeheehee

One guy signing his name (in a thread... who does that?!?!) Bob replies to another guy signing his name Bob. How adorable. From now on I'm calling you the Bobs.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I looked at the reviews on the Radio Shack wire twister and it had some pretty harsh reviews about it being flimsy.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
Sounds like complete overkill for homebrewing...
Hi

Overkill indeed. It is how the military and others get a lot better wire wraps than you get with most hand tools, and why some wire wrap stuff lasts for many decades.

Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I read that too, but it is the same identical unit they sell at spark fun for 3X the money. If youre gonna get a crummy tool might as well pay 6 bucks instead of 16. I think a lot of the reviews were also by inexperienced wire wrappers who pullled it too tightly and stretched the wire in half. 30 ga is small enough to nip off with a fingernail if yours are long enough. Higher quality wire that is solid and seperate from insulation looks like the best way to go. I think they may have also nicked the copper where they cut off the insulation too. The teflon tube is a great idea, because I always manage to char something along the way. You ought to see my solder iron cord. No burn throughs, but lots of spots I got hot here and there. Come to think of it I still need to order a new Iron too.
Bob

Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #27
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Teeheehee

One guy signing his name (in a thread... who does that?!?!) Bob replies to another guy signing his name Bob. How adorable. From now on I'm calling you the Bobs.

Hi

Been doing it that way in threads for 30+ years. To late to change now

Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK, I'll be wheelchair Bob. I use both so it's no big deal. Now I gotta go put new parts away. My connector shipment arrived this morning. A huge selection of IDC and crimp style connectors from 2 pin to 10 for the initial order. Got a bit of sorting and binning to get done before the other selections arrive too. Need a cheap alternative to 40 dollar bin box cabinets. Cheap and too flimsy for way too much money. Any ideas?
Wheelchair Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
OK, I'll be wheelchair Bob. I use both so it's no big deal. Now I gotta go put new parts away. My connector shipment arrived this morning. A huge selection of IDC and crimp style connectors from 2 pin to 10 for the initial order. Got a bit of sorting and binning to get done before the other selections arrive too. Need a cheap alternative to 40 dollar bin box cabinets. Cheap and too flimsy for way too much money. Any ideas?
Wheelchair Bob
Hi

Cheap *and* flimsy = plastic egg cartons. Price is right though.

Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #30
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Really want a drawer system to put parts values in order and seperate the different components properly so I can inventory and replenish at a glance easilly. Since I have been on the cheap assortment jag on Ebay I have trippled my bench stock to nearly 1000 different components of multiple values and construction specs like TO-92 and To-220 along with resisters in 1/4W 1/2W,. and 5 watt E12 series. I figure I need at least 4 of the 60 drawer cabinets already, plus a few more for the remainder of the stuff I plan to add in the future. Ultimately I want to just be able to sit down and build without ordering a bunch of parts to complete the project. I will probably have to order the main chip or logic chips, but the rest of the components will eventually come from what I have on hand. It's a huge undertaking, but I have a bit of time and enough patience to slowly accumulate enough different assortments to allow that to happen eventually. I have a 50.00 dollar monthly parts accumulation budget so I try to find the best deals I can on various assortments of basic components to expedite that happening. I can usually get three of four assortments every month to add to my bench stock, sometimes more sometimes less but it averages out around 4 pretty consistenly so far.
Wheelchair Bob

Quick Reply