Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > PicoBrew Zymatic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
hirambiram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can only speak for myself here obviously, but, I enjoy the entire process. I enjoy mashing in. I enjoy going to the LHBS and chatting peeps up for ideas and tips. This, to me, would not be enjoyable. Whats more is one batch would be gone in a sitting or two. I could'nt imagine any of my hombrew buddies even considering brewing this way. They're catchphrase should be "Homebrewing for the yuppie void of conviction".

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #22
ThatOneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Id rather brew beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Check out these for what you can expect in your Zymatic
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/che...lement-232950/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ew-...lement-237790/

Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I have to say I don't understand the motivation behind these 'automatic' brewing set ups. I like brewing, the verb.

If you don't like brewing and you just like beer, isn't is much easier just to go down to the store and buy a six pack?

Ten years ago I could see the value in a product like this for folks who wanted a more complex beer than what was available commercially, but didn't want the 'hassle' of home brewing.

But today, the quality and diversity of craft beer is such that you can buy pretty much whatever floats your boat.

And if I'm really being honest, as a homebrewer these things offend me. It takes time and effort to become an experienced homebrewer. Automating that effort so that any disinterested douchebag with more dollars than sense can jump the line - that's downright un-american.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I think this looks pretty neat, I still don't understand how they brew a batch in under an hour though... I like making beer recipes and tasting them, so small scale batches would be a bonus for me. I'm thinking about this one.....

Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #26
Scottanooga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This is like driving 26.2 miles in your car because you love marathons but are really out of shape and don't like to sweat.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #27
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Move over coffee maker, next year eveyone will have a picobrew zymatic on their kitchen counter.

I want one. In no way does this mean I would give up the craft of home brewing as I do today, but it could help to develop and improve upon recipes brewing on a smaller 2.5 gallon scale.

Either way, it will be interesting to see where it is at 1 year from now.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So your basically buying a brewtroller (et al), pump, korny keg, three "pots, rims tube? hmm... I don't know....

Besides the brewbot is way cooler

Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithoa View Post
The product looks reasonably well thought out. Though for $1400 I'd prefer no plastic on the hot side of things.
Yep. That's one thing I'm not too keen on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post
But today, the quality and diversity of craft beer is such that you can buy pretty much whatever floats your boat.
Maybe in the US, but not everywhere. Many places do not have the selection available. A large reason I got into AG myself was because none of the beers I liked were available up in Canada.

I have seen first hand a lot of people come over and try my beer and enjoy it but when I tell them it's a 6-8 hour process + fermenting + kegging, and so forth, their eyes glaze over a bit.

I think it's perfect for someone that just wants to tinker with recipes and doesn't want to make a whole lot of beer at once. Given that it's somewhat automated, even though it's small 2.5 gallon batches, it's less work so just run it a couple of times to get a full 5 gallons.

One thing that both these automated setups is doing right is that they're brewing AG and not extract. These should give a LOT better quality than some Mr. Beer kit (which often just ends up turning the aspiring homebrewer off of making beer).

While neither setup is something I'd be interested in myself, I do think more interest in making beer yourself is a good thing for the homebrewing hobby in general. The more people that are interested in making beer (regardless of how it's made), the better for the rest of us who have an interest as well.

It means more shops to buy supplies, more online stores, etc. I imagine one day when every one of my neighbors stands around talking about what they've brewed up last. How cool would that be!

Kal

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #30
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXBrauer View Post
Move over coffee maker, next year eveyone will have a picobrew zymatic on their kitchen counter.

I want one. In no way does this mean I would give up the craft of home brewing as I do today, but it could help to develop and improve upon recipes brewing on a smaller 2.5 gallon scale.

Either way, it will be interesting to see where it is at 1 year from now.
But the thing is you could do that with (if you had a semi-decent kitch stove) with just a 4G pot and a grain bag - for probably less than $200 if you bought everything new and even had a ball valve on the kettle
I want to do 2 gallon (7.5 litre) batches because they would fit in 10 litre buckets nicely.

Quick Reply