Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > PicoBrew Zymatic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
anthropod
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default PicoBrew Zymatic

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708005089/picobrew-zymatic-the-automatic-beer-brewing-applia

2.5Gal brewing capacity. Neat concept. Price is not that bad compared to other turnkey. Dishwasher and flush cleanup? Sound pretty neat. I could see this one taking off.

What do others think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
bluelakebrewing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021921820_briercolumn30xml.html

Read about this in the morning paper. No idea he had a kickstarter. So he's a wealthy retired Microsoft employee and wants US to give him money? give me a break.

Not to be rude but it really isnt brewing. I would equate it to the easy bake oven of brewing. Put grains and hops in and then put it in the fridge to ferment, wheres the fun in that?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 165

So let me get this straight?!? We have some ex Microsoft (probably millionaires) who don't really like homebrewing, they want to make and Easybrew set it and forget it system and they can only do it if they get $150,000 in free money???

As bluelakebrewing said, where is the fun here? I would suspect that you would have to brew for a few years to make it pay for itself. If no longer.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
mrphillips
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brewing is a labor of love. If you don't enjoy the process, then that's fine, but homebrewing might not be for you. I'll admit that the sanitizing process can get a little grueling (especially the bottles), but personally, I don't want to "Set it and forget it." I love the mixing, controlling the temp, stirring in the malts, tasting the wart, changing my mind and adding sh!t to the secondary...it's a beautiful thing.

Is it a cool idea? Very much so. Will it take off? I can't see it. My only real gripe with it is that it appears as though you can only do a couple gallons at a time. What if I want 10 gallons of beer? Do I run 2, 5 gallon batches? I guess there are some brewers who will only ever brew 5 gallon batches, but that's not me.

And what about the price? Lets say, hypothetically, that one of these machines costs $10,000. Think of all the equipment/grains you could buy with that money? I could buy 4, 15 gallon fermenters, and still have thousands left for supplies. Even if it only cost $1000, I think I'd still rather invest in one, used 15 gallon fermenter.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For some of us with kids that limit our brewing time dramatically, i think it sounds awesome. IF, it gets the blessing from some pro brewers. I'd gladly pay $1500 for a 5 gal system. I already have over half that in equipment that doesn't get used as much because I have troubles finding time.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 101

My two cents: if this is what it takes to get more people into the hobby, so be it! Rock on, and the innovation is very inspiring.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
sch21c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think it's pretty interesting. If you don't want to spend the better part of a weekend day off brewing, but still want to make some homebrew, it's a nice way to go.

Price doesn't seem that far out. System only does 2.5g batches.

I could see using it as a nice countertop pilot system. Nice way to see how things will come together. And removes the typical argument against small batches -- "If you're going to go through the trouble to brew, might as well do a full 5 gallon (or 10 gallon) batch)."

If I had the excess cash, I could see going for it. I think it'll wind up taking off. As BeerGrylls said, if it gets more people into the hobby, all the better.

And I don't understand the Microsoft hate here. So what if the guy was a former VP at MS? There are tons of successful silicon valley types using kickstarter to fund their next project. At it's heart kickstarter is just a pre-order system.

Kegged: Main Stage Sunday Bloody Sunday Red Ale
Secondary: Main Stage You Put Your Chocolate In My Peanut Butter Stout
Primary:
Next Up:Best Bitter, English Barleywine
Greg83 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The product looks reasonably well thought out. Though for $1400 I'd prefer no plastic on the hot side of things.
I wonder what the quality of beer it puts out is compared to BIAB or more traditional methods. Since you only have two liquid vessels what sort of extraction rates do you get, and do you get increased tannins with, what looks to be, the circulation of wort during the sparge? What happens if you get a stuck sparge?

It's definitely an interesting product but I'm not sure there's enough of a market demand to keep a company afloat based solely on that product.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider; 2°: Mango Melomel; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS

Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
sch21c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here's another one. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cargo/brewbot-the-smart-brewing-appliance

Kegged: Main Stage Sunday Bloody Sunday Red Ale
Secondary: Main Stage You Put Your Chocolate In My Peanut Butter Stout
Primary:
Next Up:Best Bitter, English Barleywine

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the idea, it is a neat concept and would be awesome for test batches. Personally I do enjoy the full labor of brewing (even though Im working on an easier cleanup for my system). I want to make a small 2 gal batch system and this gives me a few ideas, though I dont want to go full automated like this. It will make for the hobby to expand and decent beers to be appreciated versus BMC

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Quick Reply