Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Now that I have a list and schematic, please double check me!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Now that I have a list and schematic, please double check me!

I'm concerned about my switches, but it makes sense in my brain to have 1NC/1NO switches so I can run the PID even if the Heater is turned off. Also, am I correct in wanting the SSR Control Output rather than the Built-in Control PID? Just double checking myself here. Thanks guys!

capture.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
danb35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The 2362 PID seems to be a little more popular than the 2352, and I think it's even a little bit cheaper.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Blauhung
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a bit confused how you are wiring the switches. In general i would think your goal is use one to control power to the system as kinda a safety switch, and the second perhaps to select between PID control or element on 100%. These types of switches are nice as the contact blocks are modular and stackable. For a 2 position switch, the first goal basically is all or nothing and can be accomplished with either 1 NO and 1NC contact side by side, or 2 NO contacts stacked on top of each other. If the second switch is just a selector switch between PID(auto) or manual element control, you will want 2 NO contacts or 1 of each stacked.

As for the control on the PID, it is in no way rated for the amperage you will be running through your element, so it's control signal is wired to the control side of the SSR which handles the output to the element. Also, as the SSR will be dissipating heat, make sure there is either a heat sink included or you buy one as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
I'm a bit confused how you are wiring the switches. In general i would think your goal is use one to control power to the system as kinda a safety switch, and the second perhaps to select between PID control or element on 100%. These types of switches are nice as the contact blocks are modular and stackable. For a 2 position switch, the first goal basically is all or nothing and can be accomplished with either 1 NO and 1NC contact side by side, or 2 NO contacts stacked on top of each other. If the second switch is just a selector switch between PID(auto) or manual element control, you will want 2 NO contacts or 1 of each stacked.

As for the control on the PID, it is in no way rated for the amperage you will be running through your element, so it's control signal is wired to the control side of the SSR which handles the output to the element. Also, as the SSR will be dissipating heat, make sure there is either a heat sink included or you buy one as well.

I guess the switching is just a matter of choice, I just want it as simplistic as possible. My thought was that I need both PID and Heater on at the same time, so I need something that will give full system power, and allow the heater to be selectable on or off. I want it that way for safety reasons, juuust in case I go dry with a stuck mash, I can kill the heater but not the whole system.

EDIT: I guess it would be good information if you guys knew this was for a RIMS tube.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Blauhung
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

in general, either will work just have to mount your contacts properly on the switch.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 435

Quote:
I have a list and schematic
And??? Where is the schematic???

Without a wiring plan everything is pure guess work.

P-J

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

P-J, this is what I was given for a schematic on my system, with some other tips in this (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/can-i-get-some-wiring-help-please-409692/) thread. Wiring is still a mystery to me, but I seem to be running on basics for what I need. I guess I am still all ears as to what I need for wiring/electrics.

I'm running a simple rims tube setup, 4500w element on 120v, and 2 chugger pumps. I want my system to stay powered up with the PID still reading, but where I can turn on/off/kill the heater element by itself.

Quick Reply