Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > New Retail Programmable Thermostat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Ruprect
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Retail Programmable Thermostat

Hey all!

I've mentioned this project before on this site, but it's been quite awhile and the project has migrated some since then.

I am an electrical engineer and had an idea last year to design/build a programmable thermostat to control a fermentation device. It turned out really well and I decided to give it a name, make a business around the idea (Ohmbrew Automations) and go into production with them. Since then, I've currently built a dozen units of the 'Fermostat' and have sold them to a group of local early adopters to refine the device before I go into a larger scale production with them.

Basically, the retail version will be a programmable, dual-stage thermostat for a fermentation device or even just controlling your kegerator/keezer. It has the ability for the user to create and store a program (or several) that creates a temperature profile for your chamber. This is especially useful for when fermenting a lager where you have to slowly lower the temperature after brewing to the ferment temperature, then slowly increase the temperature over time to do a diacelyl rest, then again lower the temperature to lager the brew. With the Fermostat, you can create this program (or use one of the pre-set ones). Running this program will take care of the whole process from start to finish without any user interaction required.

The Fermostat also allows you to maneuver around within a program. For instance, you want to skip the first couple steps and want to go straight to the diacetyl rest section of the program, you are able to do that. It also allows you to move around within a particular stage, for instance if you want to start on day 3 of the 14 day fermentation stage, it will allow you to easily do that within the menu.

I think I'm going to start a Kickstarter campaign for it in the next month or two which will allow me to pre-sell some of the devices and get the word out there.

I've got some more information about it on my website at www.ohmbrewautomations.com if you are interested. Be sure and stop by and check it out. There are a few videos that show it in action on the support page too.

Let me know what you think! Feel free to PM me or email me at caleb@ohmbrewautomations.com too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
laboratorybros
Recipes 

Pretty cool, Ruprect. I'm interested. I'm also a product of KSU Engg. Good luck with the new business!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Ruprect
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboratorybros View Post
Pretty cool, Ruprect. I'm interested. I'm also a product of KSU Engg. Good luck with the new business!
Thanks! Very cool to see another KSU engineer beer brewer out there!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

This cool! I am away from my fermentors usually about 13 hours a day because of my commute/work and having program to take care of different ramp-up / downs would be nice!

A few questions
1) Would the program be able to accommodate free rise? I currently have STC-1000 dual controller, but when I set to a differential of 1* Celsius I can't really let a ferment free rise 3-4 degrees. I guess the program could be handled to increment the temp every few hours. But with something automated I think it would be a nice feature to say after 48 hours allow it to rise 3* before you start again
2) would there be a capability to connect this to a local network via wired, or wireless so the user could monitor/adjust the program remotely

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Ruprect
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
A few questions
1) Would the program be able to accommodate free rise? I currently have STC-1000 dual controller, but when I set to a differential of 1* Celsius I can't really let a ferment free rise 3-4 degrees. I guess the program could be handled to increment the temp every few hours. But with something automated I think it would be a nice feature to say after 48 hours allow it to rise 3* before you start again
2) would there be a capability to connect this to a local network via wired, or wireless so the user could monitor/adjust the program remotely
1) Yes, you can set the rise temperature to whatever rate you wish. The way it works now is you set the temperature difference and the time it takes to get to that difference. So if you set the rate correctly, it can free rise to whatever you want it to be, then continue the program from there.
Hopefully that answers your question.

2) The first version of the Fermostat doesn't have the functionality to be networked. But I do plan on creating a 'Pro' version of the device (probably next year), that will have greater functionality, including a wireless network connection (either bluetooth or WiFi)

Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
1) Yes, you can set the rise temperature to whatever rate you wish. The way it works now is you set the temperature difference and the time it takes to get to that difference. So if you set the rate correctly, it can free rise to whatever you want it to be, then continue the program from there.
Hopefully that answers your question.

2) The first version of the Fermostat doesn't have the functionality to be networked. But I do plan on creating a 'Pro' version of the device (probably next year), that will have greater functionality, including a wireless network connection (either bluetooth or WiFi)
This is very cool and should sell like hot cakes. I love my STC-1000 controlled ferm units but I'd love to have the ability for the controller to make the necessary incremental adjustments on certain beers.
If you develop a WIFI version that has a user friendly GUI you won't be able to make them fast enough.
Any idea what the cost will be?

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Ruprect
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Any idea what the cost will be?
Thanks! I certainly hope that is the case.

I believe the price is going to be in the range of $130 or so.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Ruprect
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wanted to give a quick update on my Fermostat project. I've made some significant upgrades since I started working on this. The biggest update I've added recently is that it will have an SD Card slot to allow for data logging and external program creation. I hope to have a website up for it too where people can swap programs.

My ULTIMATE goal is to have a set of programs listed by the brand and variety of yeast you are using.

I have some more news I'm not permitted to discuss here. Check out the website:
ohmbrewautomations.com

Here's a pic of the latest version:

Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
PLC-Guy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just Curious, Are You Keith? AB PMBP's STL
CVB Here If So
Looks Nice Have To Take a Further Look Into You Product, Thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Sounds like a nice product...I will put this on the back of my mind for when I get to the fermentation part of my brewery overhaul.

Quick Reply