Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > New control panel: brewtroller and raspberry pi inside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
goingmad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New control panel: brewtroller and raspberry pi inside

Cheers to all!

My current control panel is a real mess!
It's working, but every time I need to change or fix something I have to move like an elephant in a glass shop!

At the heart of my build there is the brewtroller, microcomputer devoted to brewing, and I love it. 2 March 809 pumps (220V model), 7-9 motorized valves (depending on the setup I've used), 2 LP Banjo burners for HLT and BK, Herms coil in HLT (planning to move it in a smaller specific kettle. All my kettles are actually 26 gal each.

What I don't like in my control panel:
- Poor enclosure quality
- Small switches
- Small LCD as cp display
- Maintenance very hard in the "spaghetti style" wirings inside the cp

What I'm planning to do:
- An integrated 10" touchscreen lcd
- Bigger switches with led light
- Better enclosure
- DIN mounting for all the components inside the cp
- Terminal blocks for better wiring layout
- Alarm light
- Emergency stop button

I've started designing my cp new layout

Not 100% complete, but from this the new approach should be clear enough.

This is the steel enclosure chosen:
link

These are the switches bought from the aliexpress marketplace
link
link

As for the Bretroller, I've chosen to make a major upgrade, buying the new Opentroller DX1, more hw features enclosed and DIN mount ready

link

The Brewtroller/Opentroller can be connected from the live brewtroller website
link
But you need to be Internet connected to have access to it. I've decided to avoid Internet and to to direct connect the Opentroller to the Raspberry PI, with a short network cable.
Raspberry link

A light webserver running in the rpi should run properly the live brewtroller website. The live brewtroller web app has been developed by a Brewtroller user and given from the friendly people from brewtroller people (Thanks JC!) upon request.

A main aspect is the 10" touchscreen lcd, but I've found a nice answer right after a few clicks in the Web.
link

It connects to the Raspberry PI hdmi exit and can also power the rpi. Received it last week and had it connected properly to the rpi immediately. Doing some tests in these days to find the best sw solution as virtual keyboard. Matchbox is the fist actually testing.
link

This image just to give a general view

As for the control panel cover, I'll go with the ponoko laser cut service (link) as already successfully did from others, the blackheartbrewery guys among the others
link

Keep tuned, more updates soon!

gm

My toys: HERMS system Fermentation Chamber Control Panel

PLC-Guy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
ToV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in the process of designing a automated rig. I am interesting in what you are doing, please keep us updated. And when you get it working if you don't mind posting links to the code that you are using for the light web server and the like.

I am hoping that the brewtroller 3.0 might have a decent GUI interface option that could simplify this, but if it doesn't this will be a source of inspiration when upgrade day rolls around.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hi ToV,

I know the Brewtroller people are working on a touchpanel interface as well, but I really want to do a sort of it with a diy approach.

As for the light webserver, installing it in the raspberry pi is very easy. lighttpd is my first choice. I need to test it better in the next few days, but the live brewtroller seems to run properly.

Be sure I'll post any updates here!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes keep us posted.
Cheers

Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Squeeky
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

GoingMad,

I see how it is, you can finish your automated build and then make it even better before I finish mine. Great ideas and I'll be watching I like the Pi use for an all in one control panel.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
puterman41
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

GoingMad,
I am curious to know about how much you paid in import taxes when you ordered your switches and enclosure, how long did the shipping take? BTW you have an awsome setup.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puterman41 View Post
GoingMad,
I am curious to know about how much you paid in import taxes when you ordered your switches and enclosure, how long did the shipping take? BTW you have an awsome setup.
Switches shipped on Oct 15th and received on late November, longer than usual due some Chinese holiday in that period. No import taxes paid, but I live in Italy. It could be different in your state. Aliexpress.com is terrific about prices, hard to resist to so many deals for us, diy lovers!

The enclosure has been bought from a local online reseller, such as this in US, so no taxes for it.

Currently I'm building a fermentation chamber as a #1 priority, so the new CP is in a unchanged status until the other build is finished, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Talking about the upcoming CP, some little troubles with the touchscreen, but didn't pay much attention to it until now.

@Squeeky, how about your build?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Squeeky
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well all my parts are in and things mounted in enclosure. Bought a new kettle for two tier just haven't had time to finish.
Managing retail in the holidays isn't so fun, but I found out I won't have a job at the end of the month. I'll have plenty of time starting Jan 29th.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Goingmad - Ive been thinking about doing something similar, although possibly using a beagleboard-xm, a daq board and proview

What Im curious about though, is how you plan on mounting that touch panel to your box? I would like mine to look seemless, but Im not sure on two things

1 - mounting to enclosure cover
2 - edging between lcd and enclosure

Your touchscreen looks slighlty different than the ones Ive been looking at over on mouser, similar price, but they actually have them instock the ones on mouser dont have the black edge, instead they look like you just disassembled a laptop

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Ruprect
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Super cool project! I'm excited to see out it turns out!

Quick Reply