Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > New Automated Brew Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
Gripped
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am using a BCS 462 for the IO and 8 channel relay for all of the low volt output, 2 channel relay for 110 volt pump control, and two solid state relays for the heating elements. In terms of automation its mostly temp control and pump control. Depending upon how detailed you want to get with the BCS it can be one touch, but really its more about making an awesome brew rig than making good beer. Frankly you can make great beer with a cooler and a decent pot as long as you keep good records and keep sanitary conditions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
PLC-Guy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Very, Very Nice Electrical Panel Layout, Especially The Panduit Wire Ducting,
Super Clean & Ease Of Maintenance Troubleshooting
Your Attention To Details Show, Outstanding, Thank's For Posting!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
Gripped
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Still have a bunch of wires to land in that little box but hopefully it still looks as clean when it is complete

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Dawai
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Software? are you writing your own "heat curve and time tables?" Ipad, touch phone.. meaning android software like on my google tablet?? (I'm a older guy) I have my "megasquirt fuel injection" connected to the android and I thought that was cool, you outdone that by a long shot. I'm going to have to read up on that hardware. Very interesting.

Very neat system, "showboating", nice fab shop.. you can't see the floor in mine.

Even the wiring, the "loops" on top of the SSR's show a "old school" touch, enough wire to pull it down and reconnect if that connection burns off.

Tunnel Hill Ga. I'm a Old biker/construction worker, wore out, tired, relaxing with a homebrew and loving it. Ain't nothing like watching the sun come up over Fort Mountain.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Gripped
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I certainly don't have the chops to write the software that comes with the BCS http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/

The system is controlled entirely by tablet or device that can log into a wireless access point.

I have been doing a little programming with an arduino in an attempt to integrate volume control into the system.

img_0818.jpg  

Old 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripped View Post
valve control for each vessel
Will you be able to feather the valves? Pretty sure the Dout on the BCS are just +12V/0V. IMHO being able to control flow through a HERMS is pretty important during recirculation unless you want a stuck mash. Curious how you're dealing with this. . .

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Dawai
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Suggestion?

A mash screen like a collander, a stainless float valve, this will "disperse" the flow over the top of the grain bed. It could only flow as fast as the holes allowed across the grain.

You're doing what I'd like to be.. but.. we all travel down our own path, and I have other priorities. Maybe I can drag along behind your achiements thou?

COMPUTER data acquisition?, saving the "heat", "Time" into graphs.. results with products and "types" so you can actually make a heat curve.. I've done that for carpet mill yarn production machinery and diagnosed "what was going wrong" during the failures later in dying colors..( I got a salary position & executive parking slot there for my old oil leaker 1958 Harley, and/or truck.)

SO, regardless of "type of equipment" if you followed a "heat curve, time length, did the same ingredients" you'd have the same results.. RIGHT?? or am I a newbie lost in the darkness of brewing magic??

Tunnel Hill Ga. I'm a Old biker/construction worker, wore out, tired, relaxing with a homebrew and loving it. Ain't nothing like watching the sun come up over Fort Mountain.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Very nice! Love how you got it down to 4 automated valves.
I',m in the process of figuring out my flow control. Can you explain how yours is going to work? Are you using bottom drains in all three vessels? Will the pump prime coming from the plate chiller? When the Wort is cool, will you just take that second hose off the BK and put it in the fermenter?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Gripped
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
Will you be able to feather the valves? Pretty sure the Dout on the BCS are just +12V/0V. IMHO being able to control flow through a HERMS is pretty important during recirculation unless you want a stuck mash. Curious how you're dealing with this. . .
Currently I have a stainless hand valve to control flow for sparging. You are correct the digital outputs on the BCS are on/off and would require a float switch or flow monitor for control. Possibly in the future.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
Gripped
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawai View Post
Suggestion?

A mash screen like a collander, a stainless float valve, this will "disperse" the flow over the top of the grain bed. It could only flow as fast as the holes allowed across the grain.

You're doing what I'd like to be.. but.. we all travel down our own path, and I have other priorities. Maybe I can drag along behind your achiements thou?

COMPUTER data acquisition?, saving the "heat", "Time" into graphs.. results with products and "types" so you can actually make a heat curve.. I've done that for carpet mill yarn production machinery and diagnosed "what was going wrong" during the failures later in dying colors..( I got a salary position & executive parking slot there for my old oil leaker 1958 Harley, and/or truck.)

SO, regardless of "type of equipment" if you followed a "heat curve, time length, did the same ingredients" you'd have the same results.. RIGHT?? or am I a newbie lost in the darkness of brewing magic??

I will be able to have data acquisition to retain temp profiles of each brew. I am hoping that having the bit of automation will enable me to produce brews that are consistent. Of course controlling fermentation is as or more important. I suppose a temp controlled fermentation chamber or fermentor is the next step.

I have a jacketed hopper I would like to turn into a fermentor in the future. I will keep you up to date on that project as it develops.
2012-05-18_15-40-07_30.jpg   img_0608.jpg  

Quick Reply