The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > My Automated 3-tier System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
trub quaffer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My Automated 3-tier System

Man, I'm happy to say this project is finally done. Now I can get back to brewing! I spent a lot of time on these forums piecing together ideas from many awesome systems to design a nearly perfect 3-tier system for my brewing process.

Unfortunately, I have very little electrical knowledge and know even less about welding so the majority of the construction was done by my nephew.

The frame is made of 1.5" square tubular steel. It has a footprint of 2 feet by 4 feet and the top shelf is 5"6". that puts the top of the HLT at about 7'6". a little higher than most but since I have a collapsible water line to it, not really an issue.

The heat for the HLT is supplied by a low pressure propane hurricane burner. The temperature is regulated by a Honeywell VR8200 valve and Auber SYL-2362 PID controller. The PID gets feedback from an RTD sensor installed in the HLT's sightglass tee that I got from Brew Hardware (great stuff Bobby!)

The boil kettle is heated by a high pressure jet burner from a turkey fryer that I've brewed on for the last 10 years. Had to incorporate something from the old into the new. The shelf that the MLT sits on is removable. I installed my grain mill on a second shelf so I can mill right on the brew stand.

I'd like to add a thermowell to my cooler MLT sometime in the near future so I could monitor the temp via a thermocouple connected to a temperature display on my control panel. Does anyone know where in the U.S. I can find a temperature display like that? I've seen ones on Ebay that I can order from China, but I'm not ordering out of the country.

I can't wait to fire this bad boy up and get brewing! Mmm, I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it...

If my tongue had a rape whistle it would have blown it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Very nice work.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply