Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Mounting of DS18B20 in Keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
AllanMar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

PTFE aka Teflon wire is good to 200C usually (used in military and aerospace primarily), and is massive overkill for this. It is also pricey and rare as it has to be silver plated.

I'm not a fan of using Cat5 though, pick up some 3 conductor cable instead, which is usually good to higher temps (not as high as teflon though). Also as per the MAXIM specs, you should avoid "STAR" style connections (all temp probes going back to the control panel and being jumper-ed together there). While it can work, these probes are meant to be connected in a "daisy chain" fashion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

OK, I was under the impression that standard PVC insulation was not good to 100°C but I may be wrong about that. PVC insulation for appliance cable is certainly not rated for 100°C but it may be different for hookup wire.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
AllanMar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All the PVC insulation I've seen commonly is good to 105deg C (not to be confused with the cables rating). In the case of cat5, the cat5 standard only spec's 60deg and hence the rating.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

To clarify my use of cat-5: I bought Brewer's Hardware sensors which are the One-Wire sensor sealed in a stainless steal 1/4 tube with three feet of four strand wire. I used the cat-5 to extend the cable. It never sees close to 200F. I assure that the cable Brewer's Hardware is temp rated appropriately, but never thought to check.

About the cat-5 twisted pair. I use three different pair for signal, power, and ground. I float the twisted partner for signal and power, but ground both wires in the pair for ground of the sensor.

I read the Maxim sheet about not using a star point configuration. My first setup I ran from sensor to sensor in one daisy chained network. When I had issues polling each sensors serially w a 750ms delay between the "calc temp" and "get temp" commands, I stated experimenting both with my code and there hardware configuration.

I stopped tinkering when I could poll all four sensors in less than 2 sec while they were in a star point configuration. I send the "calc temp" command to all four addresses, wait 1.6 sec, and then send the "report temp" command.

I agree that this might not be the optimum arrangement, but when I reached this point I stopped having measurement issues.

Sorry if I took OP thread too far off track.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm using these from Auber Instruments on my kettles. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=322

I really like having the connector on the sensor itself so I don't have any dangling wires when I go to clean things out. My last set-up (using LM-34's) had pigtails that were always getting in the way.

Quick Reply