Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Level sensing methods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Sorry you may have confused me, are you saying it won't work or it could work. Would the conductivity change depending on the amount of probe in the water?
But as (I think) you are saying theoretically it "would" work but practically it's not going to due to other variable changes that will effect the reading - wort composition, etc.

I have actually bough a cheap turbine flow meter that I am looking to trial to see if I can first measure flows and then if I can calculate volumes from that. I also want to see if I can preform flow control by PWM of my pump.
You interpreted me correctly. It might work, but probably won't be as accurate as you want. Turbine flow meter, assuming it doesn't plug from grain or hop bits, will probably work better. Good luck!

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
armstrong529
Recipes 

Thanks for replies. Yes I think a flow meter is the way to go. The lines between the tanks are well filtered, so hopefully clogging won't be an issue. I will just need to do some testing with flow rates etc.

Thanks again

Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Vesku
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've a flow meter in my setup (an Arduino), but the problem is that the flow sensor gives different readings depending how fast or slow the flow is. I replaced it with a scale and that's been working very well. So, my vote goes to a scale, if you can fit it in your system.

There's a ready made library and AD-card for the Arduino: http://store.fut-electronics.com/SEN-W-03.html I used only the A-input and took the load cells from a cheap weight scale (Wheatstone bridge).

If you use kilograms and liters it's very easy to measure the grains with it too as 1L of water is 1kg.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesku View Post
I've a flow meter in my setup (an Arduino), but the problem is that the flow sensor gives different readings depending how fast or slow the flow is. I replaced it with a scale and that's been working very well. So, my vote goes to a scale, if you can fit it in your system.

There's a ready made library and AD-card for the Arduino: http://store.fut-electronics.com/SEN-W-03.html I used only the A-input and took the load cells from a cheap weight scale (Wheatstone bridge).

If you use kilograms and liters it's very easy to measure the grains with it too as 1L of water is 1kg.
Vesku, haven't seen anything from you since you left NZ! Good to see you are still brewing.
I did see yhat the cheap flowsensors are non-linear, was hoping that a little calibrating and post-script adjustment will get me right... well at least enough for the flow control if it works out.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
Vesku
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

In fact I'm using the flow sensor now just to detect flow in my CF-HERMS's "heating pump"

Yep, still brewing (with nz-hops) although had a wee pause because the move. I was planning to go low tech with the new setup, but it all got out of my hands again: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w...2520hinkit.JPG

Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesku View Post
...I was planning to go low tech with the new setup, but it all got out of my hands again...
Hahaha, yeah it's funny how hard it is to stop that happening, it almost kind of sneaks up on you

Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
jgalati
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What Sennister said. Don't reinvent the wheel. Since you're using arduino, brewtroller already has the source code for using a pressure sensor.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
CJLong
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I should really check for myself but...
Is the bubbler type affected by wort density?
Since the bubbler method is actually sensing a pressure and converting that to a level/volume then I would expect it to change. In fact for a 1.050 og beer the error would be just under 5%, for a big beer (1.100+) you would be over 9% error.
Yeah, the bubbler will be affected by gravity. If you know the gravity of whatever you are sensing, you can program that in, whether a user input, or edit the program and then reload it after measuring gravity. For strike water you can just use an approximation for water gravity at whatever temperature you are measuring it at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have seen people use load cells to measure weight and thus volume of the vessel. Use a cheap digital scale for the load cells.

If you have a well controlled water pressure and/or pump flow rate you could approximate volume based on time.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
armstrong529
Recipes 

I will order a cheap digital scale. I think that the flow from my pumps may fluctuate to much. The control will be a lot more accurate with weight.
Thanks

Quick Reply