Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Hot side oxidation and HERMS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
tophmck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliz View Post
Maybe I'm under thinking here but, if you are introducing oxygen during the mash through recirculating isn't it going to be mostly eliminated though the boil anyway. I thought hot side aeration would be a concern after the boil if splashing occurs before the wort is cooled.
The conventional wisdom on hot side aeration (HSA) was that it could arise before, after, and possibly even during the boil. This page has some discussion of why. But it doesn't really matter, though, since the more modern view is that HSA isn't an issue on the home brewing scale. (The best evidence of this is the experiment on Basic Brewing Radio in which some brewers tried as hard as they could to aerate their wort on the hot side and ended up with no discernible off-flavors.)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Has anyone ever had a close-up view of a commercial scale brewery in action? I had the opportunity to brew on a 15 barrel system and during the mash they recirculate, and as the wort recirculates it is literally sprayed out, it's not a gentle stream, it's a spray with pretty fine droplets. Kinda like what you see coming from a fire sprinkler. If HSA were a problem I don't think they would vorlauf in this manner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
Has anyone ever had a close-up view of a commercial scale brewery in action? I had the opportunity to brew on a 15 barrel system and during the mash they recirculate, and as the wort recirculates it is literally sprayed out, it's not a gentle stream, it's a spray with pretty fine droplets. Kinda like what you see coming from a fire sprinkler.
Are you sure it was wort coming out and not water during sparging?

Kal

Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #24
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Are you sure it was wort coming out and not water during sparging?

Kal
I'm pretty certain that after we doughed in we let it sit for about 30 mins, then turned on the pumps to recirculate the wort for about 30 minutes for vorlauf, then moved opened and closed some valves to stop the recirculation and start the lauter i.e. sparge

Old 05-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #25
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It's hard to miss sparge on a commercial system. It takes some shenanigans.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
Has anyone ever had a close-up view of a commercial scale brewery in action? I had the opportunity to brew on a 15 barrel system and during the mash they recirculate, and as the wort recirculates it is literally sprayed out, it's not a gentle stream, it's a spray with pretty fine droplets. Kinda like what you see coming from a fire sprinkler. If HSA were a problem I don't think they would vorlauf in this manner.
I have brewed on around a dozen commercial systems, from 1-50bbls and never saw wort "sprayed" out on recirc. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing, just never saw it that way. Usually there is a return that directs the flow to the mash tun wall where it fans out and runs down the side back to the grain bed.

Now, something that DOES spray the wort is a kettle calandria. For those not familiar, the calandria sits in the middle of the kettle and is the primary heat source. Wort is pumped in the bottom, heated by steam as it rises then sprays out in a 360 degree pattern back into the kettle. Many companies use them, they used to be seen only on large kettles, say 50bbl+, but they are showing up on smaller systems.

Here is a short vid showing a calandria in action:

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply