New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Fat kid at a doughnut shop - which controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
muhteeus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoughram View Post
Well said.... Too much automation takes away from the fun (IMO). Automation in itself is a hobby. For the big brewery's making thousands of barrels at a time automation is great but it just wouldn't work for me. Automating temperature control is about as far as I'm willing to go.
True story. Brewing buddy wants to automate the valves... once we do this it is almost a one touch... not cool. The current setup I am shooting for will automatically adjust setpoints and control temps based on steps. The steps are started and stopped by a person after ensuring that water level, hoses, ingredients are all set. The whole reason I want to do this is so we can be cleaning or readying a second-third batch while brewing the first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhteeus View Post
True story. Brewing buddy wants to automate the valves... once we do this it is almost a one touch... not cool. The current setup I am shooting for will automatically adjust setpoints and control temps based on steps. The steps are started and stopped by a person after ensuring that water level, hoses, ingredients are all set. The whole reason I want to do this is so we can be cleaning or readying a second-third batch while brewing the first.
Pretty much how my system operates. Based on original design constraints 2 pumps can either be toggled manually, or run automatically via the BCS. Seemed like a neat feature, but to be honest, I almost never brew this way. I've found in practice that flipping a manual switch, and making sure the pump has primed correctly is actually easier then messing with automation. Live and learn. The one really nice thing that I have found with automation is that it makes it easy and brainless to prepare in advance for a "next batch".

Personally, I love brewday

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
ReuFroman
Never enough brew gear money.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow that is a great point of too much automation. I keep thinking about that. My mentor says the same thing. Although when I brewed as a assistant brewer at a big brewery the nice part of the day was no fiddling with hoses and just thinking about and actually brewing. I think I want (granted I could change my mind) is the ability to stop switching hoses and just focus on what is really happening. I would really like to start step mashes, I know most of the modern malts don't need it.

I haven't thought about putting the pump after the chiller.

----- PRIMING ------
I added an air valve to my pumps so the priming goes a lot easier. That was the best 10 bucks I have spent on the system for a while.

--------------------
It's ok to stare at my kegs! Just don't touch them!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
muhteeus
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuFroman View Post
Wow that is a great point of too much automation. I keep thinking about that. My mentor says the same thing. Although when I brewed as a assistant brewer at a big brewery the nice part of the day was no fiddling with hoses and just thinking about and actually brewing. I think I want (granted I could change my mind) is the ability to stop switching hoses and just focus on what is really happening. I would really like to start step mashes, I know most of the modern malts don't need it.

I haven't thought about putting the pump after the chiller.

----- PRIMING ------
I added an air valve to my pumps so the priming goes a lot easier. That was the best 10 bucks I have spent on the system for a while.
Air valve? We use pumps everywhere at work, and I admit that I am not too keen on priming.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
ReuFroman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The air valve I am talking about is one you use on rad or hydronic systems

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=29258-18701-FV-4M1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3308036&catalogId=10051& cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

works great to get the air out fast and get the pump working. I'll see if I have a pic of it somewhere. I pulled my set a part for the pending changes.

--------------------

Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
muhteeus
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So just a mechanical relief valve that purges air for liquid? That's smart!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/463/=grm7g2

These are nice too.

49375kp1s.png

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
ReuFroman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
Oh that's cool

--------------------

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #29
phlipot89
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quick question regarding automation. If i would want to fully automate the system... Which one is better.. Brewtroller or BCS? Also, what about if you want control from a living room or such?
I keep seeing different opinions between the two!!!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #30
ReuFroman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipot89
Quick question regarding automation. If i would want to fully automate the system... Which one is better.. Brewtroller or BCS? Also, what about if you want control from a living room or such? I keep seeing different opinions between the two!!!
Both can handle automation from a remote source. As to which one is better really relies on preference of options. I like both of the controllers. If your going to go full auto then BT is the best with it's ability to sense filling as more of a standard option.

I'm glad you have brought up full auto. I keep thinking about hop additions via a pulse motor. Setting up an auger to drop the additions. I'm pretty sure it won't happen but has anyone seen this sort of contraption.

Doesn't dogfish head have this sort of thing for their 90 minute IPA?

--------------------

Quick Reply